electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Anyone Know Of Any Good Uses For The LM567?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone Know Of Any Good Uses For The LM567? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a bunch ( 20+ ) of these LM567 tone decoder chips, does anyone know of any musical applications for these parts?
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't think of any musical application off the top of my head, but if you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest getting the data sheets and just dream/think about them. Read them more than once. They are meant for a variety of frequency to logic applications like touch tone decoders and FSK decode stuff. The chip appears to have a VCO inside it, so maybe there's some way you can force it to do something with the VCO and get a musical tone out of it.

Bottom line: The only way you can learn about it is to read and understand the datasheet.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:
I can't think of any musical application off the top of my head, but if you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest getting the data sheets and just dream/think about them. Read them more than once. They are meant for a variety of frequency to logic applications like touch tone decoders and FSK decode stuff. The chip appears to have a VCO inside it, so maybe there's some way you can force it to do something with the VCO and get a musical tone out of it.

Bottom line: The only way you can learn about it is to read and understand the datasheet.

Thanks. If I can come up with anything interesting will be sure to post it here.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vocoder? Rolling Eyes
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a vocoder strictly .. but close ... if you could get it to detect .. say with certain intervals .. and make them control a bunch of oscillators .. it would be some cool sort of resynthesis I think. A bit like .. the speaking piano ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muCPjK4nGY4

Edit : heh .. I needed the Grumble vocoder remark to recall the speaking piano :-)

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
vocoder? Rolling Eyes

No, if you read the datasheet, you'll see that the output is a logic level that says when the input signal is "within range" of the target frequency. As such, it does not perform anything like a filter. Internally, there is a phase locked loop which is used to detect whether the frequency is in the target range. This is a very special purpose IC that was probably used in the days of early touch tone telephone circuits. It can also be used to detect data bits on an FSK stream.

What I see in the datasheet (again, I strongly suggest downloading and reading it) is that there is a VCO inside it as part of the PLL. Pin 2 appears to be possibly a CV input (which if it is will be linear, not expo) and pins 5 and 6 appear to be R and C connections for the VCO. Any more than that, you'll want to read about to understand better. So it might (stress on "might") work as a linear VCO, but it is most likely a rectangular or square wave output - if you can actually access the VCO output. Probably pin 6 might have a waveform on it, but you'd have to get one, hook it up and scope the output to see/hear if it's anything you could use in a synth.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
gasboss775

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One idea that crossed my mind was some sort of trigger pulse generator that was triggered by a specific frequency from an external source, such as a musical instrument a recording or someone's voice. Not sure how well it would perform when the frequency of interest is surrounded by other signals, does the input need to be quite pure?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is this simple thing:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

if you search for noise567 you'll find some variations. I once started on a double version.
and I drew a schematic of it but forgot to add the values of the components Rolling Eyes
I'll see if I can find it.

also came across this:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gasboss775

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks folks! Smile

PHOBoS that Dr Who one looks potentially interesting!

Some ideas then:

(I) Sound to light circuit, not of much practical use but is you're into blinking lights!

(ii) Sound to trigger interface. Generates a trigger pulse whenever a specific frequency is detected.

(iii) Operating solenoids for sound triggered animatronics! OR triggering acoustic instruments with a solenoid/ motor.

(iv) Analogue tape sync interface, does anyone use tape anymore?

(v) Remote control for your modular!

Probably one of the more practical circuits on the data sheet; A quadrature square wave oscillator. Could be useful as an LFO.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: