electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Modular G1 freezing at startup - EPROM Damage?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
RSFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Modular G1 freezing at startup - EPROM Damage?
Subject description: Is there a way to reflash firmware on 27C040
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I own a modular G1 since ~1999 and it's not booting anymore. Some of the lights go on, Display is illuminated and shows a couple of lighted bars on top...
Since we checked for the really obvious, like PSU etc, I found that there is a 27C040 Eprom inside, with a lable "Ver 1.10" on top. I had two updates a couple of years ago, though.. I can't tell, but I suspect the EPROM programming to maybe have "faded", something that is said to happen with this kind of UV-erasable cmos EPROMS sometimes.
If there's an easy way to reflash firmware to this chip, I would be very glad to try this out. As said, it doesn't boot now and is not recognized by the editor at all.

Any ideas? I don't plan to send it somewhere and wait for months to get it back Wink We're quite used to repairing our stuff ourselfes... And there's a major project in may we would need the Nord for.
Used prices are MUCH too high at the moment, otherwise that would have been another possibility Wink

Thanks! best
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has been a while since I looked at it .. but I think:

The EPROM just holds the boot loader - not the OS. The OS is in flash memory and that one is more likely to have faded.

Did you try if the OS update tool still recognizes it?

to download: http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular

Just unzip and run the updater and it will guide you the thing seems to still work on win 8.1 ... although when I quit it halfway (as I had no intention to upgrade) it would hang ...

RSFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm afraid it doesn't work. The problem is, it's not even getting to the start screen! It's supposed to go in update mode if shift/store buttons are pressed during power up, but it doesn't. Only the lights go on. Nord could not be found.
I suspect it could well be the bootloader...

We are stuck now. I am thinking about buying a used one, I really need this synth, since there's nothing comparable on the market, as it seems.
And I have years of experience and tons of patches for the nord.
And working with software synths is not an option, for many reasons.

Any experience with repairs of Nord stuff? I don't think too much of Nords support policy, as they have rather immediately dropped support for the G1 editor as soon as they released the G2...
And a working OSx version was announced, too, but then they just didn't bother.
RSFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

* bump *

Since it seems I don't get an answer from Nord's support department:
Anyone knows if there's a way to get this chip including the boot loader? Or just the software, to try and put it to a new 27C040?
It says Ver.1.10.
I would like to get my beloved Nord modular back to life, there seems to be no product on the market to replace it, and used modulars are expensive.

Any help or idea would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Richard
66superfly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe this helps, at least for german speaking people in Europe:
https://www.sequencer.de/blog/synth-repair-reparatur-in-deutschland/4157

Achim Lenzgen ( http://www.synthesizerservice.de/) solved a problem in the psu of my G2 within short time at resonable cost.

You can also join the German speaking forum at www.sequencer.de and asking the people there for support.
RSFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

66superfly wrote:
Maybe this helps, at least for german speaking people in Europe:
https://www.sequencer.de/blog/synth-repair-reparatur-in-deutschland/4157

Achim Lenzgen ( http://www.synthesizerservice.de/) solved a problem in the psu of my G2 within short time at resonable cost.

You can also join the German speaking forum at www.sequencer.de and asking the people there for support.

Thanks!
As I need it fast for an important project that is ahead, I went the easy road and bought a used one for 500€ Wink
Don't know how much repair would cost, but I expect it to be not so much less, including two times shipping etc. So it's a good deal, and now I have spare parts for the time to come.
Still interested what the problem was. I will check out the forum soon.
Cheers, Richard
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: