electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Fluctuating Random Voltages, but not Buchla
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Fluctuating Random Voltages, but not Buchla Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So .... it seems to me that all the implementations of fluctuating random voltages I've looked at (at least with a brief search) are based on the Buchla FRV in the 266. Everybody mentions vactrols.

Yeah, Vactrols are cool, but they're also generally spendy and/or inconsistent, and I want to try to achieve similar results without them.

One thought that occurs (and I could test this with modules I already own, but that isn't practical at this very moment and I want to solicit feedback) would be ...

Use a standard white noise source into a sample & hold into a slew to smooth it out a bit, and use that (or duplicates) to control rise/fall or with two independent rise/fall of a voltage controlled slope. And maybe slew that output a bit too.

I've looked at/troubleshot Buchla FRVs in Roman's SOU clone, but mostly it's been a matter of figure out what's totally not functional, which is a different analysis than figuring out how it works. A cursory examination of the circuit to determine the source of the randomness was not very fruitful. Obviously it's clocked by the 555, which is rate controlled by the inputs and one vactrol, but the actual random part isn't clear to me how it achieves randomness.

I'm mostly curious about opinions on how similar what I describe with the VCS under random control might get compared to the Buchla FRVs...

Anyone?
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fluctuating Random Voltages, but not Buchla Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
I want to try to achieve similar results without them.
Anyone?

My diy synth is you could say a hybrid: Almost every module has a microprocessor (arduino) on it, but the audio path is analog.
I have never used vectrols, but use digital controlled potentiometers instead.
But there are retrictions: the voltages they can handle are usualy limited, though there are digital pots that can handle +-15 volts and are usualy 256 steps, although 1024 steps are possible too.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: