electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
The VCO Maximus
Page 4 of 4 [80 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you sharp or flat?

If you're sharp, your HF trim is probably providing too much trim, and you need to turn it down and start over.

I don't know off the top of my head which way (cw vs ccw) is "turn it down", unfortunately.

The idea of the HF trim is that, as a VCO gets higher frequency, it tends to go flat, and the HF trim gives a little bit more juice back to the control to bring it up to being in tune.
cslammy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Are you sharp or flat?

If you're sharp, your HF trim is probably providing too much trim, and you need to turn it down and start over.

Going flat.
Hi Freq trim does almost nothing--I can turn it so it clicks either way, which in my mind means it has gone as many turns as it can go--with very little impact. Maybe a few cents sharp or flat for a 7K triangle, that's it.

Q: For other users, does the HF trim "do a lot"? For the 13700 TH VCOs I built the HF trim was far more effective--but having never put my hands on the maxiums design, I am not sure what to expect here. If the HF trim is impactful on other VCO's I might have another issue somewhere.

cslammy

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I replaced the trimmers (12 turn cheapos) with bourns 25 turn for normal and HF trim. Seems to have fixed it. I think I just wasn't able to dial in my settings with enough specificity.
ixtern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cslammy wrote:

Hi Freq trim does almost nothing--I can turn it so it clicks either way, which in my mind means it has gone as many turns as it can go--with very little impact. Maybe a few cents sharp or flat for a 7K triangle, that's it.

Q: For other users, does the HF trim "do a lot"? For the 13700 TH VCOs I built the HF trim was far more effective--but having never put my hands on the maxiums design, I am not sure what to expect here. If the HF trim is impactful on other VCO's I might have another issue somewhere.

Don't know if you still have a problem with HF tracking but yesterday I was tuning my VCO Maximus again and HF trims works as intended. I can see tracking change from about 1000 Hz and up. It's not a big change - a few Hz for a few trim turns but still noticeable.
matimatil

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anybody by any chance have a sigle sided pcb layout for this?
if not i am probably gona give it a shot, but i am not very good.
Page 4 of 4 [80 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: