electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
HUMANS AND PSYCHOACTIVES
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: HUMANS AND PSYCHOACTIVES Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Our Mission
Erowid is a member-supported organization providing access to reliable, non-judgmental information about psychoactive plants and chemicals and related issues. We work with academic, medical, and experiential experts to develop and publish new resources, as well as to improve and increase access to already existing resources. We also strive to ensure that these resources are maintained and preserved as a historical record for the future.
Our Vision
We imagine a world where people treat psychoactives with respect and awareness; where people work together to collect and share knowledge in ways that strengthen their understanding of themselves and provide insight into the complex choices faced by individuals and societies alike. We believe that truth, accuracy, and integrity in publishing information about psychoactives will lead to healthier and more balanced choices, behaviors, and policies around all psychoactive medications, entheogens, herbs, and recreational drugs. Erowid's vision is to facilitate and create resources that are part of the evolution towards this goal.

arrow http://www.erowid.org/

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I loudly applaud of this site. Everybody who ever uses chemicals recreationally should bookmark it. There´s a wealth of information there and remarkably objective compared to the people who´d have you believe that certain chemicals either equate to instant enlightmnet or satan himself. I´ve been recomending it to friends for ages.

I feel that nobody can tell you weather you should or shouldn´t take a certain chemical but if you are facing such questions it can´t hurt to make a informed decission. This site has information on both intended and side effects and the very real factor of the law.

Enjoy yourself but please be carefull.

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i agree with kassan...when i was experementing (several years ago) with such things, i found that site (and the hyperreal drug pages) very helpful.

another great source of straight up info (but not drug specific) is andrew weil's book "the natural mind" (andrew weil is famous now for his alternative treatment books, videos, pbs specials....before this book he was famous for the "scoop" in the harvard crimson of what tim leary was up to in the psychology lab at harvard with the students, and the psylosiben).

this is not a book i've seen him talk about publicly in the recent past, but the information is great. he presents a language for discussing such things non judgmentaly (at least in my recolection).

deknow
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Everybody who ever uses chemicals recreationally should bookmark it.

I think that even if you don't use chemicals recreationally you can bookmark it Very Happy there is a wealth of informations beyond psychoactives Exclamation

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Everybody who ever uses chemicals recreationally should bookmark it.

Maybe some professional users would be wise to do the same. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, yes and even if you don´t use anyhting at all some of the reports on effects are very nice reading material.

For a while I used my share; often quite weird stuff. In that position it´s a very good idea to know how addictive some things can be and how long they stay in your system and so on. Experimenting can be very nice, but you realy don´t want to end up addicted or messed up.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
you realy don´t want to end up addicted or messed up.

Well, one out of two ain't bad... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno. A cocaine addiction won´t realy leave. One guy I knew had been clean for ages and still late at night or when distressed he´d somehow arrive at the subject of Cocaine. This went on for as long as I knew him, structurally. Ugly. Some other people I know get occasional flashbacks and I pray those never happen in traffic.

I think it´s very wise to know what you are dealing with; for one thing it´s usefull to know how combinations work out. I know everybody says you shouldn´t combine stuff but we also know nearly everybody does. I don´t think I ever saw anybody take a pill and not drink at the same night too....

One thing that I think would be good to mention on a electronic music board is this; when getting pills it´s not unlikely that you aren´t getting what you asked for. In that case if it does go wrong you will thank yourself if somebody in your company keeps a fraction of one of those pills in a safe place. Don´t lie to the paramedics; they have seen everything before, they knew what was happening before you opened your mouth and when push comes to shove applying a chemical test to that piece of pill may very well save lives.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
when getting pills it´s not unlikely that you aren´t getting what you asked for.

This is not just true for illegal drugs. Look at all of the millions of people who were taking Vioxx on perscriptions. They thought they were taking a safe mainstream arthritis drug; they were really taking pills that give you heart attacks . Crying or Very sad

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tell me about it! A little evening of desorientation and rambling to your friends has nothing on the anxiety attacks my anti-depressants gave me.
Medical and psychiatric science have come a long way but if you are using chemicals to solve your problems then you are on the way down. Ironically; clubkids that take E once every two weeks may be using drugs in a more responcible way then people who just get antidepressants at the first sight of trouble.... Of cource that depends on how well connected your friends are and on how good your physisian is but if we look at overall tendencies I think it´s scary.

deknow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I dunno. A cocaine addiction won´t realy leave.
well, it won't leave some people....i do know lots of former heavy users that although they have been affected by addiction and cocain, are not 'longing' for it, and are not uncomfortable having it done in front of them. a kind of funny story (in a sad way)....i was having breakfast at a local diner a few years ago (i was a semi regular at the time, and loved to observe). the husband of the waitress had had eye surgery the day before. in telling the story, she mentioned that they used cocaine in his eye as an anesthetic (this is common). the woman sitting next to me (in her 50's, and clearly had a colorful past) had a spontanious nose bleed...just at the mention!
in the 80's there was a big deal made of "crack babies". these were children born to active addicts, and were supposedly never going to be normal, had to be held by volunteers (like nancy reagan) to make them feel comfortable. where are they now? are they relatively normal? are they in institutions? i suspect the "needing to be held" was due to being taken away from their parents, and the fact that no one wanted to adopt them (damaged goods and all that). obviously, i don't think people should smoke crack, drink or do any number of other things while they are pregnant...it can't be good for anyone. that said, are crack babies any worse off than "beer babies" or "marlborough babies"? why don't we hear about modern day crack babies (presumably, some pregnant women are still smoking crack...some of those children have grown up)? i've never been able to find a satisfying answer to these questions.

Quote:
I think it´s very wise to know what you are dealing with; for one thing it´s usefull to know how combinations work out. I know everybody says you shouldn´t combine stuff but we also know nearly everybody does. I don´t think I ever saw anybody take a pill and not drink at the same night too....
the rave scene in the u.s. (at least new england)was, for a long time, largely a non drinking crowd...it was rare to see a beer at a party, and one event i played at was almost shut down because my bandmate tried to sneak a 12 pack in the back door. it was less of a problem when the headlining dj was busted with 500pills (e). i happened to be standing right there (i was not a customer...it was in the "dj area") when i saw the stash get taken by police (i was carrying nothing, but i was tripping...so i got the hell out of there)....he had been processed and released in time to make his set, but beer alost got the thing shut down. imho, alcohol is probably the worst thing to mix with anything. once the rave scene declined, kids got older (21), and events started happening in bars where you couldn't really pull off a night unless you could bring in a drinking crowd things changed. i hate hanging out in bars, so i barely go out.

in the u.s., i can't imagine any emergency room testing a pill on the spot...it would be something the police would do in order to prosocute...not for treatment.

to me, the most remarkable of the drugs is salvia divinorm. it's legal (i beleive everywhere). be warned, and do some reading. imho, it's not necessary to get the "concentrated' leaves (i saw terrance mckenna speak on this subject, and he pointed out that salvinorin a is active at 250micrograms (!!!!), and concentrating it will only lead to overdoses that would never happen from raw leaves). i've never felt like i didn't get enough from smoking a cigarette of 3 natural leaves (have a sitter to make sure you don't burn the place down...you will not make it through the whole thing). not everyone is affected by this substance...but it's very powerful if you are...more like "work" than "fun", i wouldn't recomend it for anyone that doesn't really like to trip, and can handle a disturbing trip. i haven't done this in a few years, and few that do do it like it...but it is interesting as hell!

deknow

"c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, let's go space truckin'"
-deep purple
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is an interesting take on the crack baby thing:
http://www.come-over.to/FAS/crackbaby.htm

deknow
"acid booze and ass, needles guns and grass....lot's of laughs"
joni mitchel
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
to me, the most remarkable of the drugs is salvia divinorm

Salvia divinorum:

arrow http://www.erowid.org/plants/salvia/salvia.shtml

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, when people started experimenting with LSD, sitters were always used but they were called guides.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain
Quote:
In the first study of its kind, researchers have found that peyote -- for now, the only legal hallucinogenic drug in the United States -- doesn't rob regular users of brain power over time.

arrow more

Quote:
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain
Quote:
In the first study of its kind, researchers have found that peyote -- for now, the only legal hallucinogenic drug in the United States -- doesn't rob regular users of brain power over time.

arrow more

i'm always wary of sites that try to blind you with scientific phrases such as "brain power"... Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Well, most people I would consider sane and who have also used peyote at least once aren´t really so sure about that one. Peyote is fairly mindshaking stuff. Sure, drugs can be great fun, but I really dislike the "brain power" lore.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
K

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have used psychoactives since day 1 and boy, it works Shocked chocolate truffles are my favorite ones Rolling Eyes
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
those belgian_chocolate_truffles are psychoactive for sure Very Happy

Quote:
deknow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...especially the holiday truffles with the delicious lysergic filling!

deknow
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LSD: The Geek's Wonder Drug?

Quote:
...The gathering included a discussion of how early computer pioneers used LSD for inspiration. Douglas Englebart, the inventor of the mouse, Myron Stolaroff, a former Ampex engineer and LSD researcher who was attending the symposium, and Apple-cofounder Steve Jobs were among them. In the 2005 book What the Dormouse Said, New York Times reporter John Markoff quotes Jobs describing his LSD experience as "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life."...

arrow more

Quote:
frater v.i.o.

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is a topic of my taste by the way.
the two most interessting things to me are psychoactive chemicals and music.

did you guys know that albert hofmann, the founder of lsd celebrated his 100th birthday on january 11th?
there was a huge symposium therefor with the who is who of drug scientists in basel/switzerland i visited.
http://www.erowid.org/general/conferences/2006_lsd_symposium/2006_lsd_symposium.shtml
KHI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i hereby quote timothy
Quote:
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

Timothy Leary

And that is why i am 101% happy of erowid, that is good when people try to educate in these matters.. : )
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: