electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4017, how do you use it?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: 4017, how do you use it? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a question for those of you using a standalone 4017 wired pin to jack, not in conjunction with other chips. I'm soldering one of these into my lunetta currently, but was very close to not including it because I was unsure how I would use it in a patch. If I'm being honest with myself I believe the blinky led element won me over more than creative sound possiblities. So I'm just wondering how do you use it in a patch? Like a sequencer, narrow pulse divider, controlling gates?
I just ordered more banana cables in anticipation Razz
Steveg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You run it at tempo rates as a sequencer to trigger notes or percussion. or you can run it at audio rates and do something like put a pot on each output to create a wavetable kind of effect or you can use it as a rate divider with the proviso that the duty cycle will be 1/n where n is the divider amount.
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Polyrhythmic gates.
Same clock, two 4017s with different steps and different reset lengths ie. 1,3,8 of 10 against 2,4 of 7.

R
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I often use a large part of my lunetta modules to create sequences and the 4017 is great for triggering other things.
It can give nice variations when set at different/odd stepcounts. Sometimes I just used it to get the timing right for something.
Make sure to include the CLK enable pin (13) in your built, it can be very useful .

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two in parallel thats a good idea. No room on this machine for a 2nd 4017, maybe for 2.0.

Oh, was only including the clock and reset, I'll be sure to drill another hole for the inhibit since you recommend it.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: