electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Korg Prophecy
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Korg Prophecy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok...so i went for this instead of the triton

the triton is ok for the old 90's ooh and ahh's and bad pianos hehe

the prophecy is a mono synth as you all know...but..it sounds spectacular

i played around with the nord lead 3 for a while

wow...ok that is an awesome synth

also an awesome price..out of my league

anyone else own a korg prophecy ?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My suggestion : get some Novation A-station synths.

It sounds great, it can sound oldish ..near analog.. it has cutting power.. it has a vocoder and it is dirt cheap. Get 10! Get 20! I have used this one.. and i am planning to get 2-4 or more. Use a sequencer for setting them up between songs. You will need a keyboardcontroller of course.. and a decent submixer. The Behringer digital mixer thingie.. which is really cheap right now will do just fine for stage use.

I wouldn´t say it is easy to program, but it isn´t hard to learn. If you run different patches on the devices and layer them, you can build up some great textures. Unless you need the Triton sounds or any similar polka board soundset, the A-Station will do fine for gigs. This is a synth.

Sound on sound calls it "Small and cute: the Winona Ryder of synths"

Shocked

Anyway, read this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Dec01/articles/novationastation.asp

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stein

thank you for that recomendation

i tried out all of the novations..

i hate to say......thin...fizzy..digital...soft synths are better, imo

was really not feeling those synths

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh, the default presets might be pretty stupid, but you can make some really fat sounds with it. Uh, and I like to DI and do some analog processing with all those digital synths anyway. That goes for the virtual synths too.

The A-Station is underrated. I was messing about with one at the local music store and the guys who worked there had to check if I actually was using the A-Station. They never knew it could make sounds like that.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don;t doubt you

the Korg Prophecy just seemed to feel right

time to put it to use.....hehehe

paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a handy link for the Prophecy

http://www.lfo4.com/

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see. I haven´t played the Prophecy much. I think I remember that I found it to be "unremarkable". I am not quite sure what I meant by that.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to have a Prophecy. I got a software editor for it, too. I can't remember the name of that editor, now. It was especially for the Prophecy. Anyway, I liked the sound a lot, actually, and it has pretty flexible modulation routing and lots of tricks up it's sleeve. I don't play keyboard traditionally so the fact that it's a monosynth never bothered me a bit. For awhile, though, I lusted after a Z1 but just couldn't afford it.
All in all, I wish I hadn't sold the Prophecy. I wish I hadn't sold ANY synths, come to think of it!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I wish I hadn't sold ANY synths, come to think of it!

Yup! agreed!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Prophecy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
anyone else own a korg prophecy ?

I do.

It is a lovely little synth. But the last year i don't use it anymore. Used to take it live but nowadays i only take the G2X with me. But if any synth will return in my live setup the prophecy is a first contender. I do have a Z1 as well, but imho the prophecy sounds better. Now the Z1 doesn't sound bad Smile. But this one also hasn't been used the last year Shocked

I have to little time or to many synths Question

paul e.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that makes sense..i can see why you opt for your G2X now

because i was trying out the various clavia units, and they were all spectacular..i was really impressed

but right now, it's a question of price, and i got a great deal on this Prophecy

but...that nord lead 3... inspiring... out of my price range..for now

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am pretty sure the Creamware "hardware" synths will be pretty good.

http://www.creamware.com/

Minimax ASB MRSP 899 USD
Profit-5 ASB MRSP 999 USD

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
s. t. Demas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The korgs are goodbuild instruments , i have a m1 and a wavestation a/d , oke its no triton or prophecy , but they sound good and have a good design

korg is oke
Very Happy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Quote:

Yup! agreed!

I don't Exclamation as the Chinese say: "less is more" Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
s. t. Demas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Quote:

Yup! agreed!

I don't Exclamation as the Chinese say: "less is more" Wink

Very wise people those chinese , that must be the reason that there are just a few chines people in china:shock:
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

s. t. Demas wrote:

Very wise people those chinese , that must be the reason that there are just a few chines people in china Shocked

you are right but consider how few synths there are in China Idea Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
s. t. Demas wrote:

Very wise people those chinese , that must be the reason that there are just a few chines people in china Shocked

China must be full of microphones... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
s. t. Demas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
s. t. Demas wrote:

i dont know about the synth , but they are trying real hard to build good cheap pianos
some are also build with imported german parts , its just a matter of time and they are just as good as the Steynway or yamaha, but it takes maybay 20 year i think .
yamaha whasnt so good , with the piano s in the begining , but now they are just as good as the steynway.
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I am pretty sure the Creamware "hardware" synths will be pretty good.

http://www.creamware.com/

Minimax ASB MRSP 899 USD
Profit-5 ASB MRSP 999 USD

I don't understand why they would choose these two synths to emulate. There are already tons of mini clones, in the form of softsynths, VA hardware, and real analog hardware. And the P5 was kinda nice but nothing special, and there are already tons of products that cover the same territory.

If a company is going to go to the trouble of creating something like this, why not do what companies like Arturia are doing and choose legendary and impossible to find (or afford) synths that people really lust after, like the Oberheim Matrix 12, Oberheim Eight Voice, Emu Audity, Yamaha CS-80, Memorymoog, Chroma, PPG Wave 2.3, EMS VCS-3, etc. Why keep making the same two or three synths over and over?

And give the user the choice of either authentic features with all their limitations, or to be able to remove the limitations of the original gear - for example, why on earth would they make the Prophet 5 with polyphony limited to five or six voices?? The low voice count was an unavoidable SHORTCOMING of the original, not a feature, and you should be able to choose 64 voices with massive layering on the new version if you want.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I agree with you, but the obvious thing is that these are hyped already and a lot of kids will lust for these.
I am sure these will prove to be two cute small nice "polysynths".

Something like a new wave 2.3 hardware clone complete with an improved Waveterm and the expander and the PRK would be just fine. Or a PS3200, or a Jupiter 6, the EMS gear.. whatever...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: