electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Rack Engine?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: G2 Rack Engine?
Subject description: Any concerns with this version?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Since Howard still has my G2X and it looks like I will never get it back. Smile

Are there any down-sides to the G2 Rack Engine? Anything to be concerned with when buying a used one?

I currently have the G1 Nord Micro and enjoying it very much. I don't remember, does the G2 load up G1 patches?

Thanks,

Sayer

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The engine has no controllers, displays or microphone preamp. It is just the voice board and PSU in a box. The expander can be added to give you the same dsp and ram as the G2X.

I have seen reports that some owners have had trouble with the USB port so that would be one thing to check if you can.

The G2 won’t directly load G1 patches but some members have produced a translator for G1 patches, and DX7 patches.

Cheers
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks so much for the info ian-s, greatly appreciated.

I have a Micro Modular, and will keep that for the G1 patches.

I've had good luck running the G1 editor on Windows 8, I'm guessing the G2 editor will also run without issues.

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SayersWeb wrote:
I've had good luck running the G1 editor on Windows 8, I'm guessing the G2 editor will also run without issues.

I am pretty sure 8 was ok.
I think you may need the universal usb driver from Clavia rather than the G2 specific one.
I need to setup the editor on my new Win10 laptop soon so I can let you know.
SayersWeb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
I am pretty sure 8 was ok.
I think you may need the universal usb driver from Clavia rather than the G2 specific one.
I need to setup the editor on my new Win10 laptop soon so I can let you know.

Awesome... just bought a G2 Engine, should arrive next week sometime. I will try the universal driver once it gets here. Looks like the G2 specific driver is only for XP or Vista. When I bought my new PC earlier this year it had Windows 10, but so many things didn't work, so I downgraded to 8.1.

Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Editor is working fine on WIN10 - can't remember if I had to set compatibility mode or not, but I don't think so. I'm pretty certain I am using the G2 driver as well, but need to check.

No problem with USB other than the G2 does not seem to like being plugged into a USB3 port (I have a few devices like that). USB2 is fine. I am not sure if that is a universal problem or a general problem with my specific device's USB3 ports (e.g. a particular chip set), but worth being aware of.

I've had my G2 Engine since 2006 and it is still a great sounding VA. My only real concern about the engine is that it does put out more heat than it ought to for a box that size (in my opinion). But so far so good. I have drilled extra holes in the top of the rack case to ensure that the heat dissipates.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sayer,

Great to see you here again. Your old G2X is still my goto machine. I bought a G2 rack myself for backup. No problems with that. Sometimes, my G2X picks up noise via USB if I connect my Allen & Heath Zed 14 mixer to the same USB hub. I think this is primarily a problem with the mixer, but all is fixed if I use a USB Isolator on the mixer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: