electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
about the combfilter
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: about the combfilter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everybody
I like a lot the combfilter of my waldorf Q and cannot recreate these big tube sounds with my G2. does someone have ideas on patching this filter ? Rolling Eyes
I know Rob have some superb patchs with custom lowpass filters but with the comb,... !!!

Thanks a lot

Charlie
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stupid question, but have you tried using the G2 comb filter module?

Anyway, conceptually, a comb filter is just a tuned delayline with feedback (a VC flanger with exponential tracking, if you want). In that sense, the sound shouldn't be THAT different from synth to synth.

Maybe the Waldorf Q comb filter has something extra going on in the feedback loop which makes it sound special. So, if you could post an mp3 of it in action, that would help us find out what you are looking for.
Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you,... for a first post,... it is very Confused !!!

i know the principle of the comb filter and yes i already have patched this module. My question was about connecting it in conjunction with other modules, I'd like to have tips and ideas to use it to make it more musically interesting.
The waldorf Q and absynth have the edge that I like,... with the G2, it seems more difficult.
And saying a comb is a comb and is the same on every synth,... tsstsstsss,

thanks
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

never mind, I was just trying to help Rolling Eyes

"Musically interesting" and "edge" are highly subjective terms. Without audio examples, I can't know what you mean.

Anyway, my description of the comb filter actually does give some cues for its use:

1) since it is a tuned delay line, it lends itself nicely to physical modelling applications, as it has keyboard tracking already built into it.
2) since you can look at it as a flanger without a dedicated LFO, you can do all sorts of unusual flanging FX with it.
3) Turning keyboard tracking off and opening up the FB, you can use it as a static sympathetic resonator (for drone strings) too etc. I think I saw a sitar patch somewhere that did this.

I'm not at my home computer right now, so I cannot patch and post examples, but eg. there are bound to be physical modelling patches in the patch archive which use the comb filter.

hope this helps more.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Charlie wrote:
thank you,... for a first post,... it is very Confused !!!

Right ... but please do feel welcome

Did you see http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5692.html ?

Jan.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Charlie wrote:

i know the principle of the comb filter and yes i already have patched this module. My question was about connecting it in conjunction with other modules, I'd like to have tips and ideas to use it to make it more musically interesting.
The waldorf Q and absynth have the edge that I like,... with the G2, it seems more difficult.

Did you try looking at the waveforms coming from the implementations that you like? some aditional wave-shaping or overdive might be involved to fatten it up a little, especially in modern synths meant to have a edge. With digital filters you can afford to put the filter *after* the vca and use a bit of overdrive inbetween which often adds a little edge and expression.

Remember that the people here are volunteering to help you but can have no idea of your level of knowledge after just one post.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you all for your help
After a few days of experimenting, I have discovered new things and the result becomes really good !
Yes,putting the filter after the vca can do some good results, I will try with some overdrive !

It's the "problem" with the G2, considering it and patching it like a basic synth don't give good results and it is particulary difficult for a newbie !

On my first post, I just wanted to know if there was some exemples of "macros" using the combfilter like I 've seen with the low pass filters (reinjecting the output with "inv" +....)

Charlie
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: