electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Attenuverting pot doubt
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Attenuverting pot doubt Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im going to build a bunch a these, but I have run out of B100k pots.

As long as the pot is only used to give a reference voltage, any pot of 50 or 10K should work the same, isn´t?

Another question... What does the trimmer here?. (Im guessing it gives the exact center of the pot trip). Should I change it to match the pot?. Or even better, can I just use 2x 47k resistors to fake the trimmer?

Or maybe I have to match R4 with the pot value?

Edit:
Im using this foniks PCBs, so I can alter components but not traces

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

chickle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.46 KB
 Viewed:  241 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

chickle.jpg

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

it looks like u can use different linear pots, i simulated 10k 50k and 100k

the trimmer is there to trimm Rbottom to the same value as Rtop, means u could replace the trimmer and the 47k with a 100k (may u match both 100k?)

cu
gabi

MA-att.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.21 KB
 Viewed:  239 Time(s)

MA-att.png

MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, thanks for doing all this simulations!

t seems I should download one simulator and save a lot of questions... I have found a opensource one called Qucs and Im downloading it...

What are you using?
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

np, it was only copy and paste Smile

it is called multisim,
there is a free version called multisim blue
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

please,
do me one favour,

never stop asking!

usually u learn something or get inspiration if u answering a question of someone else. it makes u leave ur own cosmos for a while.

this time ive learned about this little circuit, which i havent known before.
then i had the idea that that could be a 4quadrantmultiplier if we replace the POT with a VCA -
and while simulating it i remembered the JHaible ringmod which i never understood - http://jhaible.com/legacy/tonline_stuff/jh1_ring.gif
guess what it is the same principle - http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-68148.html

This loop is closed! finaly!

cyclops jackson dancing party!

so: thanks for asking!

PS: u should really try multisim, i have never seen a similar easy-to-use Simulator
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And that´s whay I love this forum. You get not only the right answers, but tons of inspiration andsynchronic and tangent knowledge...

Im so pleased for your discover!!.

In fact I found a online simulator, I replicated the circuit and I found that you can use whatever the pot you want (1k, 10K, 2M, all works the same in this circuit). I also found that you can efectively change the trimmer for 2x47K resistors.

The but most fascinating thing that I found is that simulating circuits is ADDICTIVE AS FUCK. I spent a lot of time changing values and seeing what the electricity paths does in every case. Yeah, I love simulatin this things!!.

So I tried to download the multisim blue, but it seems mouser has retired the free version, so I will have to find another way... Twisted Evil viking

So I have solder the attenuverting chicklets and works at the first time. Yeah

And anoter twist in the loop. I have built the Roman Sowa AD633 circuit this days, just to find my AD633 is fake... It gets hot as hell when power it (I have found that is common, the chinese fakes AD633 all get hot and produce no sound. Newbies alert: only use genuine ones from mouser or genuine sources)

So I have this vision of ringmod two voices from the radio, and after spent 24h craftmanshipping a aringmod module, it doesn´t sound... But... synchronically, it happens that I can built a Ringmod with this chicklets plus a VCA?

Really??

Lol, that´s as synchronic as it cat get. So Im studing the haible circuit and your thread about Ringmods.

Maybe I can use a VCA from my modular to inser into the pot position of one attenuchiclet and see if it multiplies and ringmod the output. Not sure about how to connect boths, I guess is a question of common sense and logic

So I promise, I will install some simulator but will keep posting questions, hahhahah

Cheers, mate!! Popcorn time Let us pray dasz
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

which vca or vca´s you have?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
usually u learn something or get inspiration if u answering a question of someone else. it makes u leave ur own cosmos for a while.

+1

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g.gabba wrote:
which vca or vca´s you have?

Currently I have this one (4x VCAs)

http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/vcamix/

4 common VCAs with in, CV and out, plus an additional mixer than can be used or not
gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats perfect!
u only need a dual opamp and a double switch Cool
u should have the level-pots both on the same position, eg 50% both, when in RM mode, otherwise u add some harmonics Smile

u could do a little daughterboard and drill an extra hole for the switch in ur panel

or make a small extra panel with just a switch beside the VCA

or extra panel without switch but four female connectors, so u could patch a RM if u need one and rest of the time u have a double-inverter-utility

MAP_RM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  341.83 KB
 Viewed:  191 Time(s)

MAP_RM.png

gabbagabi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i forgot the chicklets Embarassed

of course u could use two chicklets and four patch cables as inverters!

so u dont need any extras Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: