electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Anyone of you use the Kyma system?
Page 4 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
NoiseLab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monokit wrote:
Okay guys, almost one year since the last post to this thread.

I'm still in love with the Kyma system, still don't own one (same money issues, but I'm changing jobs now), and still have my doubts regarding the current Kyma hardware status.

Any rumours in the meantime about a new hardware revision for Kyma?

Btw, the new Tau tool sounds like a very interesting toy! Smile

Robert

Well, now we are two years further!

Personally I think there's no new revision of hardware because the development of Motorola DSP's is at low profile.

I think we have to look what the boys from Digidesign are going to do, because they are also dependent of Motorola DSP's. It is just speculation, but maybe it is interesting for Digidesign to develop their own DSP's...

This is just what I think about it and no rumours at all!

Meanwhile since your first post there where many software update's (Kyma X.451) and also quite major ones!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't heard any rumors, but at the same time I don't think the Kyma hardware is very lacking in it's current configuration. I have 12 processors and that's been plenty for me, but if things got tight the top at 27 looks pretty juicy.

I recently had a hardware problem. An overlaod caused by lightning got induced on my firewire cables and blew out both my Kyma and my MOTU 828MKII. Repair costs: Motu - $78, Kyma $41. Included in the Kyma repair was a free CD with the latest software.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Howard, you got lucky! I have just been looking into better power conditioners to prevent this exact type of thing. But, I suppose that's for another thread.

BTW - did you use a power strip w/ protection? The manufacturer of that strip may kick in a few $$ if equipment plugged into it was damaged.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I use a battery backup type conditioner. This particular problem was caused by a voltage induced on the firewire cables. The worlds best power conditioner wouldn't have prevented this. The lightning hit a tree about 75 feet from my house. I was standing on my patio at the time and I felt the hair on my head and arms start to stand up before the strike. I ran inside when I felt this. The hit occurred about 5 seconds after I felt the sensation.

Lightning is very strange stuff. I could tell a few stories about some other experiences. I'll start a schmooze topic. I bet lots of people have strange stories about lightning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NoiseLab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I haven't heard any rumors, but at the same time I don't think the Kyma hardware is very lacking in it's current configuration. I have 12 processors and that's been plenty for me, but if things got tight the top at 27 looks pretty juicy.

In my case I just want more I/O and I am interested in a second Capy320 so I have 16 I/O's that would be ideal for me. But for now my main focus is on the Wiard analog modular.

Maybe someday...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of stuff are you doing that would require 16 IOs?
Page 4 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: