electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Waveform morph on Alesis Andromeda A6?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pulsewave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Waveform morph on Alesis Andromeda A6? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I see the new Moog one has adjustable waveforms (rise/fall times and phase reset), and was wondering if any A6 users have conjured up similar types of wave manipulations on the a6 oscillators?

As far as I know, the pulse width is adjustable. You can select saw (neg or pos), tri, sine, but can't adjust them individually (they are either on or off).

Any ideas on how to get wave morphing (west coast style - triangle slope changes and/or other waveform transformation)???

Also, it'd be great to lag the waveform start time of Osc 1 to get phase offset (compared to Osc 2) too.
pulsewave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, after a little brainstorming, I created some wave morphing options.

Osc 1 set to saw wave (for example), Osc 2 set to triangle, modulate Osc1 Pre Filter mix with Mod Wheel (at 100%), modulate Osc2 Pre Filter mix with Mod Wheel (at negative 100%). Use the mod wheel and watch the waveform on the oscilloscope transform from saw to tri. Hard syncing the oscillators helps keep them lined up.

Any other creative options? Hopefully something that allows the use of both oscillators at the same time? Perhaps mix mode would allow this, but might be a little complex setting it up.

I'm thinking wavefolding (actual folding of the waveform), rather than wave shaping, might be possible too (with sync and octave shifting somehow)?

I'm also curious to see if there is a way to get phase shifting somehow. Can a single oscillator be lagged somehow via the software?
pulsewave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... of course...

Wavefolding:
Set both Oscillators to the same waveform, but one Osc up an octave or more, and crossfade with the mod wheel (as indicated prior). Using the different sync options (or leave it off) gives different tonal qualities to the wavefolding.

Works better than running the a6 into a wave folder module, which doesn't really work at all really (the sound fizzes out).
pulsewave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit more digging, and I found that the square wave level is editable as well, allowing a square wave to added to the existing wave. For example, with a Pos Saw selected on Osc 1, set up mod wheel to fade in the PW level of the same Osc. This will transform the saw into a pulse wave. Selecting a different initial waveform (or set of waveforms, tri+saw for example) leads to interesting results.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Waveform morph on Alesis Andromeda A6? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pulsewave wrote:
. . . Any ideas on how to get wave morphing (west coast style - triangle slope changes and/or other waveform transformation)???

Also, it'd be great to lag the waveform start time of Osc 1 to get phase offset (compared to Osc 2) too.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-213374.html&sid=a22c27dc89b85de891975af265fdc81b

Most recently I have used E-Mu gear and enjoy simulating techniques I find others use on different gear. So, I am interested "wave morphing" and am wondering about things like (1a) what is "west-coast style" wave-morphing? (1b) how does it differ from other styles of wave-morphing? and (2) What are the possible different ways wave-forms can be morphed in general?

From what I have read, generally it refers to the smooth transformation over time [control] of a basic wave-form serving as a sound source--as opposed to shaping a sound after it comes from a wave-form generator--e.g., an oscillator.

Also, (3) What distinguishes (a) wave-morphing from, (b) wave-shaping from, (c) wave-folding from (d) other wave-manipulation techniques?

Thanks.

Steve

PS: Just found an explanation of wave-folding: https://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/simple-synthesis-part-8-wavefolding/
Also, http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/West_Coast and http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/East_Coast though I am not 100% sure those really apply to what you mean.
Aha! Just a guess, but I think the different electronic synthesis discussed here point to what you are trying to achieve on the Andromeda, right? https://reverb.com/news/the-basics-of-east-coast-and-west-coast-synthesis
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: