electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
advancing sequencers via trigger
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gettingcomfy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: advancing sequencers via trigger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I got my MicroModular two weeks ago and I'm still amazed at what it can do. I'm planning to do an act similar to André Duracell with Drums triggering the MM.
I've figured out how I can advance the clock of the sequencers with triggers but what I haven't yet figured out is how I could change between sequencers with a trigger.
In theory I'd like to have sequencer 1 going for a while until I switch to sequencer 2 with a trigger. I thought the 1-4 switch could do that but I was mistaken.
Folks in one of the Modular Facebook groups told me to make a Multiplexer so I can switch between sequencers. I tried that (with the help of the nord modular book) and I haven't really gotten any results.

So my questions are:
Is it possible to "sequence" sequencers so you can switch between them with a trigger?
And if yes: How would I make a multiplexer (or any other application) that allows me to do this?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There gettingcomfy & welcome

I'll have to keep it a little abstract .. as I do not have the NM Classic connected up currently .. but here is the idea:

Your basic multiplexer building block would be the XFade module, with the level of the control input you can make it select between its inputs. You will need to fiddle the knobs a bit.

Now when you want to switch on a trigger you could use a ClkDiv moduleset to divide by two, it will then toggle its output on every incoming trigger - which then can be used to control the Pan mudule.

This can be expanded to get more inputs that can be cycled trough on every incomming trigger by adding more dividers and pan modules.

You can also turn things inside out, and just mix the sequencers .. but .. selecting which one will get the trigger. This can be done by a de-multiplexer .. the basic de-multiplexer would be the Pan module. Control would work the same way as for the multiplexer - divider modules.

gettingcomfy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the quick reply!

So on the right I recreated the multiplexer as it is described and displayed in the modular book.
On the left I put the clock (instead of a trigger right now) and the clock divider and two sequencers.

What would I need to replace the constants with? The sequencer outs?

Also: Whats a demultiplexer and how do I build one?

I got into all the synth stuff really quickly but those logic modules are giving me a headache Shocked

multiplexer..PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  527.7 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

multiplexer..PNG

gettingcomfy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey again!

So I have everything set up. Only waiting for some piezos to replace my lackluster triggers I have right now.

I still haven't really found out how to build a multiplexer. The only thing I have thought about and conceptualized is where I'd put it.

If I am correct in my assumptions it would be wise to put it after the sequencers and have the outs of the sequencers going into the crossfades. The crossfade out at the end of the multiplexer would then go into the pitch input of the oscillator.
I think that this would be the most CPU efficient method because I could for example make one sequence for a Verse or sth. and just have several outs going into different inputs in the multiplexer.

Now the mystery remains: How do I build such a multiplexer?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: