electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
"pop" when switching to performance mode
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: "pop" when switching to performance mode Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone have that problem?
Everytime I switch from patch mode to performance mode, a noise occurs (pop). There isn't any problem when switching from performance mode to patch mode.
This problem has been occuring since I upgraded synth firmware several monthes ago.
I 'd like to know if my G2 is alright.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't hear a pop but i often here a short burst of whatever the previous performance was... it's as if it doesn't mute it quickly enough or something.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the seperate buffers used now means, like cebec says, that a performance is waiting in memory.

I would try two things:
1. turn down the performance volume before leaving the performance. I know, there's 4 slots.
2. Try turning the volume of the patch you're in down before entering performance mode.

If one of these works, it might help figure out what the problem is, so Clavia can address it. I don't have this problem, but I don't bounce between the two modes very much. I wonder if the performance is loaded before the MIDI info (volume, etc) is updated, and so parts of the performance gets the volume from the last used patch.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my experience this depends upon the actual patches involved - some do start with a plop or a burst of sound, others don't (this is a matter of patch design).

When a patch starts un-silent a patch or perf switch will make this initial sound audible.

Jan.
G2egory

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just started having this same problem, too. My G2X makes an annoying pop sound when I switch from performance to patch. It did not do this the first 7 months I had it. I didn't notice it until after I upgraded the operating system the last time, although I do not know whether there is a connection. Thinking it was dust, I bought a can of compressed air for electronics and sprayed all around the switch. It did not help. I wonder if this will become a general problem of the G2/G2X.
Confused
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The performance and patch modes were changed in one of the os updates. It used to use the same patches for each mode, so switching between modes would leave all the slots exactly the same, no pop sound.

Now there are 2 different memory buffers, one for the patches in patch mode, one for the performance in perf mode. When you switch a new set of slots is loaded, and just like changing patches in one slot, or doing a performance program change, the G2 has to mute all slots while it recompiles.

I've had a similar experience to Blue Hell - there is usually a small burst of noise during the switch.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This change the way this performance/patch mode switch is made was a big setback, IMHO. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree.
I find this function actually anoying instead of usefull!

I liked it the old way...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was anoyed as well, although there is some workaround in hte editor using shift or control (I always forget which it was) while clicking on patch / performance change, but its clumsy this way.
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also pressing shift+performance on the G2/G2X leaves the patches intact.

And i do use this feature, i can setup a set of patches in patch mode that contains default sounds. For each song i have a performance, then i can switch to the default set by entering patch mode and vice versa. So I actually like this feature. Never heard the pop though....

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: