electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
? about damaging the soundlab
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: ? about damaging the soundlab Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just wondering if you can damage the soundlab by making
the wrong patch. See I let my friends play around with it and
usually I set up a patch, but the temptation is just to hard for them

some examples:
Osc 1 out into Osc 2 CV in or vice versa(is this what they call cross mod)

LFO or AR out into another out like Pulse Width out, for some reason this always happens, don't know why they both say out!

Osc out into cv input on Filter or VCA(OSC out should go to signal right?)

well those are the common mistakes

dnny

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Zebra
hope you (or your friends) donĀ“t damage your precious SL!

just wiring up my SL and maybe my question fits under this topic.

i was wondering if the zener diodes on Protecting the CV inputs from over voltage application mod
should be rated at 400mW or 1W ? there are the two types available on my dealer

dnny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope it doesn't happen either. I haven't used an external CV yet so
I haven't done that mod. So I'm not too sure, but I GUESS as long as its a 9.1v it should't matter. I could surely stand to be corrected. Hopefully someone else will post for both our sakes. So your getting it wired up huh. Glad to hear I'm hoping to build the Sample and Hold tonight.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey dudes,
As far as I know,
Once the 9V1 potential is reached the zener starts to conduct, shunting current through it to ground as it does. The big resistor hanging off the front of the ExGateIn limits the current which might go through the zener, so it shouldn't matter. The power rating on zeners is just the amount of power which they can dissapate before the junction starts to burn. Therefore you can over rate them, they'll still do the same job. Just the higher wattage is a bigger (and more expensive) zener.
Andrew

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The zeners will protect inputs, within reason. Don't connect 110 V or 220 V to an input, obviously. Plugging outputs to outputs is potentially more dangerous, but most ICs have short circuit protection built-in.

So, to quote an old song, "Don't worry, Be happy." Laughing

Plugging Oscillators into the CV input of a filter is a wonderful thing, BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"don't let it burst your bubble"
Osc into cv alrighty then. I was curious about that because the SL has Signal inputs and I figured that where you would patch them on account
of the OSC being a sound source. Well you gotta experiment only way your gonna find out, right.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, experiment. One of the great things Moog did was build synths where the signals and the CVs were interchangable. The only real difference is that the signals generally go faster than CVs. In fact, the concept of the LFO came after Moog. The first LFOs I ever saw were on early Arp synthesizers. Moog followed suit on the MiniMoog. The concept of the LFO is really a step backwards, IMHO. Any oscillator should be able to cover the range from very low subsonic all the way up beyond 20 KHz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Plugging Oscillators into the CV input of a filter is a wonderful thing, BTW.

This is so true :D

I also agree with mosc on the issue of frying the SL inputs. I doubt very much that you will do any harm to your SL- unless of course you wire the mains into one of the inputs! If anything, if the input signal is too high, you will just get distortion- lots of it!
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If anything, if the input signal is too high, you will just get distortion- lots of it!

Who doesn't like distortion
and Lots of it

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Who doesn't like distortion
and Lots of it

This too is also true :D

My favourite bit of disto has to be the first track off Faust's 1st lp where they sample both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones- with this most intense and beautiful screaming fuzz saturation sound over the top- you know what I mean if you have already heard it!

'Pulse Demon' by Merzbow is also cool, but not the kind of lp i'd sit down to and relax!
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've heard it, buts its been awhile. Sweet you like Faust huh, and Merzbow. Ever heard of NON, I mean I don't listen to it all the time, but I have one album thats a very cool noise album. I'd like to here this Circle band that you guys were talking about from your taste in music bet I would love it. My friend hipped me to a band called Dungeon I think thats what they're called from over your side of the world. Really cool "krautrocky". Ohh Ohh how bout Ghost or Melt Banana. My friends band did a split 7' with Melt Banana. Well I guess I've "hijacked" this thred a little. I'm thinking when I send that board I'd like a copy of your record you were talking about over in the introduce yourself I could paypal you or send a check with the board or something.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The concept of the LFO is really a step backwards, IMHO. Any oscillator should be able to cover the range from very low subsonic all the way up beyond 20 KHz.

This is one of the cool things about software synthesizer utilities like reaktor. (I bet the kyma or msp are the same as reaktor in this regard.) You can specify the range of your oscillator past the audible spectrum in either direction. Consequently, there are no LFO's in the general module library. This is a good thing about software tools but the interface (and lack of a physical one) still isn't an advantage of such tools.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Ever heard of NON

What Boyd Rice?

(dontcha love it? pete bog, genesis porridge and boiled rice??!?)

I was very much into all that topy shit once- until i came to conclusions it was a load of crap :D
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim, have you heard of Dymaxion (from NYC)? They're a bit old now- but they sampled loads of 60's psych and garage stuff- very lo-fi and well worth checking out :)
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I was very much into all that topy shit once- until i came to conclusions it was a load of crap Very Happy

I agree with the there. Been so long since I listened to it. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Boy your on it. Pretty much keep it around for the novelty now.

No I'll have to check out Dymaxion

Alright see if you heard of this one. Caroliner they're from California. Really weird noise band. All hand made album covers always stuffed with odds like leaves, book pages, pictures. You name it. Their schtick is they're making music directly related to 1800's ergot wheat poisoning in Wisconsin and the folktale of a singing bull. Or something like that.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought Caroliner were a record label? Or was that Caroline? Christ, that was years ago. Yep handmade sleeves et al.

Have you heard of a band called Pram?

Now there's a question ;)
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Born of an aesthetic universe where the senses are excited equally by the dust encrusted revolutions of antique lounge LPs as the wild and wonderful facts packing the yellowed pages of musty encyclopaedias, where a nostalgia for the future meets a fascination for a past that never was, Pram are drawn to the fantastic and exotic ends of the ordinary world.

I haven't, but from the sounds of it could be fantastic and exotic
Yes Caroline is a label, but there is Caroliner the band here read this
http://www.markprindle.com/caroliner.htm
Browse the first couple paragraphs. They must of been ripped when the came up with their band concept.

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: