electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Visual and Sonic Material, Wanted and Available
alpinechic.netlabel
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: alpinechic.netlabel Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alpinechic.netlabel is looking for great new international unsigned underground artists who would like to release their works through the net.

style: electro, triphop, experimental, pop?...but we are open to any suggestion...

more infos: www.alpinechic.net
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks to me like it's not really a label, but a web site that will host free mp3s. Is there something more?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greg, you know,,, that was my first thought too. Set up a website, get people to contribute with free content and call this a label so you can curate what goes up. I confess I might have misunderstood something... but well.. hmm... someone prove me wrong....please..?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...Occam's Razor... ...Occam's Razor... ...Occam's Razor...

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

first of all alpinechic is a NETlabel.

our purpose is to help very good unsigned artists getting some promotion through the net. we would like to build a small and exclusive network releasing high quality records only. "alpineChic is a non-profit netlabel managed by electronic music lovers for electronic music lovers" > we are not doing it for the money. we are very selective with the music we receive and we will not release every artist who is going to send their songs to us.

the site lauch will be on 01/01/2004

ps: never heard of netlabel before?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The site readme says:

Quote:
a b o u t

AlpineChic is a brand new netlabel, run and founded by underground music lovers.

AlpineChic's purpose is to build an online underground network dedicated to unsigned artists playing and performing on the underground music scene. AlpineChic will distribute for free non-mainstream mp3's releases under a Creative Commonslicense. AlpineChic is a non-profit netlabel managed by electronic music lovers for electronic music lovers.

AlpineChic is physically based in Zürich and it will concetrate its efforts on electronic performers from the swiss and international underground music scene.

The launch of the netlabel is scheduled for 01.01.2004 with its first release !

s u b m i t   y o u r   m u s i c

Being a brand new netlabel we are currently looking for great new artists who would like to release their records through AlpineChic. Please note that we won't earn any money with our releases. For this reason we will not pay the artists that will release their fantastic records through our website. AlpineChic's artists will earn on having a new virtual tool that can be used for promotional purposes.

Demos can be submitted in the following way: send to us links where we can listen to your works on the net. Also include some info about you and your project/band. If you do not have your own website or if you do not have the possibility to put your files online e-mail us and we will let you know how to submit your music to us. For any question feel free to drop a line to us.

E-mail: info@alpinechic.net

Please note that we will not release all the music submitted to us. We will exclusively release the records we like and that we find very interesting. Actually we are into electronic, experimental and pop music but we are open to any suggestion.

w a n t e d

- swiss/international artists for alpinechic #1 compilation / release scheduled for january 2004
- swiss/international artists who would like to release their singles or ep's on alpinechic.net

exit here >

OK!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote to them
I'll let you know.......... Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
ac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi seraphin

we will let you know as soon as we have listened to your material.

ciao
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I have seen thus far, I don't see how the term "label," even with the NET modifier attached, applies here. There is, admittedly, very very little information available though, and perhaps Seraph will get more information with his inquiry.

Also worth noting is http://creativecommons.org, which may provide additional information on the logistics of this thing. I don't mean to sound like a naysayer or anything, I've just seen alot over the years and have been jaded by the vast majority of it. Thus the imperative for me to establish my own label upon which to work, or our deal as a collective/co-op. <shrug> You know how these things go.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Jeremy, I dunno how a net + label thing computes, but I reckon Carlo soon will drive around in another new Ferrari ( red ) .

I hope the "submit" part does not mean that Carlo will sign away some rights or whatever. Been there... done that..

This seems to me to be a website idea that is mainly about free promo, but since they call this thing a label.. this means they can curate the incoming material.. and pick the stuff they like.

Let us say that Carlo already has his stuff on RM at some italian equivalent to the norwegian org TONO. This would mean that the Netlabel thingie will get huuuuge bills from the RM org and the common grounds thingie or whatever would mean nothing. We have had similar unfortunate deals in Norway already. A mess.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My baloney detector tends to function on a very simple premise: Who stands to benefit from this, how, and at whose expense? For someone to construed themselves as a label, certain implications are made regarding the role of their organization. It is, of course, quite well known what the functions of a traditional label are, as well as the detractors thereof.

As it used to be, when an artist and a label went into business together, the label would provide A, B, C, D, E, F, and G to the artist in return for H, I, J, K, L, M, and N from the artist. You know, like the financing of the albums' production in return for a large percentage of revenues, promotion and distribution in return for publishing rights, etc. There were understood trades being made.

It seems, however, that over time, the labels have sought to reduce what they are obligated to offer the artists while working to retain what is expected from artists. Now a label may offer A, C, and G in return for H, I, J, K, L, M, and N. With each new incarnation of "labels" the balance becomes increasingly uneven, to the point where we are today. My understanding is that labels now encourage artists to come to them with a finished product in hand. This clearly benefits the labels, and there is not much to explain about that.

So, when someone talks about being a "label," immediately there are certain way that one expects the label to benefit. When said label claims to be foregoing these benefits, one is forced to ask and wonder "What's in it for you?" And I suggest doing so with skepticism. Never in my life has anyone ever approached me with an offer than benefited me more than them, and the more ambiguous these benefits are, the more I would suspect the artist stands to lose in the process.

It almost makes me wonder if they are trying to position themselves as the exclusive brokers of those artists they hand pick, curate, and promote. What ever happened to A&R, agents, managers? I myself am somewhat uneasy about being wholesaled, highest biddered, or whatever may be intended behind the scenes. How do these people benefit? I am not quick to accept that this whole thing is simply out of the goodness of their hearts. Everyone has to eat. Everyone has to pay the bills, even AlpineChic.

Call me paranoid, call me pessimistic, call me a lunatic, but at the end if the day I will be in no WORSE shape than I was when I woke up. There is always so much to lose. My music is simply that important to me, and I am a spooked and skiddish animal.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great speech. If you check out Magnatune you will see those dudes actually have a plan. I wonder who pays the AlpineCHIC bills. Dunno... Perhaps the AlpineChics have a plan. Maybe it is a good one. Dunno.. I am not buying the netlabel hype today. Ask me again sometime next week.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, as far as the "netlabel" term goes, it immediately strikes me as being trendy, which is always a fed flag. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything negative about these people, only that I know nothing about them, and understand the motivations of this industry in general, as well as the lacking nature of their offerings, legitimate offerings, to artists.

I think it's much easier to convince people who are starving for a messiah of there being a messiah than to convince a group of content atheists of one. Hunger, desire and necessity make for vulnerabilities and gullabilities, and when these characteristics are widespread, so will be the snake oil salesmen.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
ac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello cyxeris

well...if you prefer you can can call it a "website that gives the possibility to people who are visiting the site to discover new music from unsigned and unknown artists performing on the underground electronic music scene" (high priority will be given to swiss artists) instead of "label". the bill will be paid by ourselves as there will be no costs (otherwise the hosting and the domain name > very very cheap).
alpinechic is a project and that will be developed with the time. our first release will be a downbeat ep from a great paris/zürich based artist and it will be avalaible for free download together with the artwork...we don't give a fuck to the money and we work on alpinechic on our free time. it's not about business...it's about music.
i am a musician...not a business man...i just want to do something great...that's all...

just a little example:
i am in a band and we are giving away our old demo for free with the artwork too (but not on alpinechic) > we are doing it to promote ourselves and not for the money.

cheers to everybody and enjoy the weekend!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha.. it is an idealistic project .. an arty stunt on the kitchen table Very Happy

Well..! Kool!!

You have probably seen the "Eric Snelders initiative" - in the last Alpha Centauri newsletter. you guys going to that meeting too?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ac wrote:
...we don't give a fuck to the money and we work on alpinechic on our free time. it's not about business...it's about music.
i am a musician...not a business man...i just want to do something great...that's all...

That's what I like to hear. Incidentally, my aversions aren't directed at you, rather the scene in general, and the greedy rogues thereof. There is much to lose, the begining is a delicate time.

Money is always an issue, and it is always a factor at some level, be it necessity, greed, providence, feeding one's family. With regards to "not giving a fuck about the money" and such, I suspect we're all on the same page then, a page that is very different than, say, CNET's (insofar as I can thus tell what their page and agenda actually are).

You really should become active on the boards here. There is a great deal of talent here, and some rich discussions. Strength and warmth in numbers. Interaction, cross-pollination, movement, revolution.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
ac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have probably seen the "Eric Snelders initiative"

???
never heard about it before.[/quote]
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... if I remember correctly, it goes pretty much like this:

Quote:
I would like to inform you about the big EM (Electronic Music) debate that
Alfa Centauri is organising on march 13 next year.

Objective of this debate is to find out current directions in electronic
music and expectations of fans, artists, producers, visitors of EM events,
record industry and all others involved. And, of course, this should not
only be a discussion but foremost a plan of measures and actions to help and
support electronic music where it is required (that is what Alfa Centauri is
all about).

If you are not interested in this discussion nor want to visit or
participate in this debate, ignore the rest of this message, we apologise
for taking your time.

You, list-member, musician, record label owner, producer, fan, or whatever
makes you interested in EM must be noticing that EM-times
they-are-a-changing.

Some people say that electronic music is dying, some people say Electronic
Music has never lived as ever before.

There are so many issues, so many discussions, and a lot of these
discussions have been taken place on this list and in magazines, but we feel
it never has resulted in straight actions. And of course, each person you
ask, has a different opinion.

The first question to answer is what to define as electronic music, is it
berlin-school sequenced music, is it ambient/floating/cosmic music, does it
include the new music genres such as electronika, trance, techno and what
about new age / relaxation music? Or is it all ? And if yes, why is it that
contemporary music has a huge fanbase and EM does not.

Therefore the primary question is whether EM has a future? And if yes, how
can we make sure to secure that future (if we want to...): do we need more
events? what should artists do to help EM, or what do we expect from record
labels or retailers. Could EM live without a magazine (for instance the KLEM
magazine in Holland will stop as of January, will this harm the EM market or
not) or can we support the music by working through new information
channels/resources only ?

No ! Please don't try to answer these questions yet, at least: not on this
list....!

As you know, Alfa Centauri and Quantum Productions have the objective to
support and promote Electronic Music and therefore is developing new ideas
for this support and promotion. But we need to do market research and need
your opinion to reach a high level of effectiveness in our initiatives. It
goes without saying that we do have a commercial interest in this topic, but
if you like EM and if you expect the EM market to have a future, you should
also give us a helping hand to do the right things right !

Therefore we are preparing a special event on march 13, 2004 for EM
artists, fans, retailers, record labels and more. During that event we will
have an informal debate with some prominent guests and autorities in EM. And
of course we will have live electronic music, there will be drinks etc and
our aim is to have a friendly and relaxed meeting and try to involve as much
as possible people with their opinion. So no formal hour-taking debates, we
will take care of a working format.

So, if you do have an opinion on this topic, and you want to participate in
the debate, or you are just an EM fan that wants to know what is happening
in EM, you are kindly invited to our event. If you feel you are an autority
in EM and we have not personally invited you yet, make sure to let us know !

Admittance for the event will be FREE.
Date: saturday march 13, 2004.
Venue: Theater Graaf Wichman, Huizen, Nethelands (the same venue that we
will use for the 10th alfa centauri EM festival in may).

If you are interested to join or visit, send us a mail at
events@quantumproductions.nl . You can also subscribe our free biweekly
newsletter to get all the latest information about this (and all other)
events, by sending a message to alfacentauri-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Thanks for your interest,

Eric Snelders / Alfa Centauri / Quantum Productions

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Visual and Sonic Material, Wanted and Available
Jump to: