electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Clavia Nord G2 Demo on Linux
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Clavia Nord G2 Demo on Linux Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess one day I got a little curious and wanted to see if I could get the G2 Demo software to run on my Linux machine.

It actually turned out to be pretty easy.

First, I downloaded and installed Wine (Original code emulating the Windows API as to run Windows programs that haven't been ported to linux). You can pick up an RPM for your distro or some tar balls and install instructions at: http://www.winehq.org

Next, it was time for a guinea pig...the G2 demo software. You can download that at: http://www.clavia.com/g2/demo/index.htm

The rest is kind of self explanatory for a modest linux user...unzip the G2 software, and put the .exe file in a directory of choice. Then run the command in your terminal:

Code:
wine Modular\ G2\ Demo\ v1.32.exe

assuming you haven't changed the .exe's file name...or you can also be slick and write a shell script.

There are a couple avoidable problems worth pointing out.
Wine looks for your ALSA installation when Wine installs, hence any program running under wine will output to whatever audio card you have set up under ALSA. In my case, my PCI echo gina is 16bit 44.1khz .... the G2 demo software is capable of going beyond that resolution, but doing so doesn't work with my card (or any card with similar constraints) for obvious reasons.

The other problem I ran into was graphical rendering. When drawing a new wire between modules, the screen "clips out"...large blocks of pixels becoming transparent, etc. This is fixed by moving the window around a bit, and it all settles back to normal. The real problem is this happens to me everytime I patch a wire in the g2 demo. However, the problem can be entirely avoided by putting the patch cables on "hide mode". This way, you will see what wires are going where when you are amidst patching a new cable, and the screen will not clip out. I do not know if this problems affects my machine exclusively. I am using an ATI card instead of the typical NVIDIA, which was not stable until recently, so this could be an ATI problem or a Wine problem.

Overall, its fun to have the working software. I can now use my linux machine as a processor or additional synth when my G2 is too busy. This also makes the G2 demo software a fantastic learning tool: Not only does it demonstrate modular concepts very nicely, but it is free and is proven to run on Windows, Mac, and Linux Very Happy

(Just for the record, the full fledged G2 editing software runs on wine and linux as well...but of course, this is perfectly useless without a linux driver for its married hardware...)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!

Did you perchance also try the NM1 editor that way?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The NM1 editor has in the past been tried by several people under wine. It worked, except for MIDI ...
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The NM1 editor has in the past been tried by several people under wine. It worked, except for MIDI ...

Curses.

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should retry this...I've seen posts about people running VST plugins along side Rosengarden, so MIDI had to be working for this to happen. The MUSE Research box is proof of this (AFAIK, it uses wine to run the windows plugins).

NOTE: I think you need ALSA MIDI setup & working *before* you install wine, which will help wine automatically configure itself during the install.
letalis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick note about Wine, it is not in any way an emulation/emulator since windows is not a hardware platform (as for example PPC or gameboy). It rather implements the windows API:s, in other words, it tries to contain all the functionality the windows libraries does.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

letalis wrote:
Just a quick note about Wine, it is not in any way an emulation/emulator since windows is not a hardware platform (as for example PPC or gameboy). It rather implements the windows API:s, in other words, it tries to contain all the functionality the windows libraries does.

Yes, this allows things to run suprisingly fast since there is no 'virtual machine' involved that eats up hardware resources.
The one draw back though is the lack of windows driver support, since that is a completely different kind of beast than the win API
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so far so long... G2 editor via wine actual for me now
any good news, maybe drivers became un
essential..
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Jump to: