electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
[OT] analog fat sound...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: [OT] analog fat sound... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody,

just a question out of curiosity...
it is very usual to read on the web that one of the most important features of analog synths is about their “fat sound” (especially when talking about synth bass lines...).
Since you always have to plug your synth to an amp to play it, does it really make sense to talk about “fat” or “thin” sound when you can shape the final sound using the EQ on your amp?
I mean, if you want a fat bass line just turn the “bass” knob all the way up and you are done...
Am I missing something about this?
I’ve got a basic farfisa digital toy-keyboard (it’s supposed to be used by kids), and one of the possible preset sound is a simple sawtooth synth voice... plug the toy to a guitar amp, turn the bass knob up, play something and you will get not only a fat sound, but one of the biggest and deepest bass sounds ever...
Again, am I missing something?
Thanks in advance guys for your comments... Smile
ladislao

P.S.: BTW, today I finally ordered the parts for my Sound Lab... 10, 9, 8, 7,..., 3, 2, 1, goooooooooooooo!!!

EDIT (after reading the following two posts): this post make sense only if I assume that fat sound means "big bottomed"... but I might be wrong...

Last edited by ladislaobiro on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's true that, in the musical jargon, the term "FAT" can be a lot of different meanings and flavours. For me, as example, a Fat sound is a sound rich of harmonics and expression.. JP8080 supersaw and Virus Hypersaw are Fat by default Razz the mr. oizo bass too as well as Keith Emerson square lead on Luck Man.. is so simple, but it haves attidute Smile

my 2 cents,
Luca

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 611

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there are a few different definitions of ‘fat sound’. Certainly if you take it as the opposite of ‘thin sound’ then yes, boosting the bass might do the trick, so long it has some content at all in the low frequencies. Personally, I consider fat to mean ‘fat and juicy’ like when you have two or three detuned oscillators. By my definition, no single oscillator synthesiser could ever sound fat. Others seem to associate certain types of distortion with the term fat, so a TB303, even though it has only one oscillator, might be described as fat.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Axiom wrote:
. For me, as example, a Fat sound is a sound rich of harmonics and expression

that is a good definition...

also 'wide'..some sounds just jump put of the speakers..minimoog basses are very present and alive, and therefore 'fat'

and as g2ian mentioned, certain distortion factors in

but, it's not as simple as turning up the bass knob..try doing that to a tr606 kick..it won't really help hehe..or amplifying is not the only key..that just might make the sound loud

having said all that, a pure sine wave played in lower registers can be one of the fattest sounds ever..so i guess 'waveform' also plays in to what makes a sound fat or not

btw...some people would suggest it is 'phat' and not
'fat'./.altho i am not sure why heheheh

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, this discussion of fatness.. it isn´t really OT if it had been posted inside one of the other forums.

The What is bassthread is of course relevant too. Simply turning up the bass isn´t what makes bass "fat". That said, a lot of musical instrument amps do have rather "musical" eq´s tone controls. Simply making the bass fatter by turning up the bass level is rarely safe. Most synths, and quite probaly the soundLab as well, are capable of delivering a nasty, hot and REALLY low freq signal. You can turn expensive amps/speakers into smoking cinders this way. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hey guys, this discussion of fatness.. it isn´t really OT if it had been posted inside one of the other forums.

Kassen wrote:
It's dedicated to many sides of electronic music that touch uppon the ground covered by the SoundLab; matters like controlers, production and composition.....

ok guys... no more OT's... got it... Embarassed
ladislao
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey.. OT is fine.. but we do have forums for this. We just wanted to help out.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
BTW, today I finally ordered the parts for my Sound Lab... 10, 9, 8, 7,..., 3, 2, 1, goooooooooooooo!!!

SWEET!!!

Quote:
ok guys... no more OT's... got it...

I'm stll here for you Laughing Laughing

Quote:
it isn´t really OT if it had been posted inside one of the other forums

I get where your coming from. Its just such a big world out there and I'm scared. I feel safe inside the womb of the Sound Lab. Razz Laughing

"its a whole miserable subculture" or something like that. from, STYLE WARS

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Het, it's not like I'm going "you can't sit on the table", more like bringing to your atention that chairs are more comfortable.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must admit, I only have time to catch up with the posts under the soundlab. So I figure if I posted something outside it might not get seen by the people I've gotten to know in here. Confused If that makes sense.
Anyway, one man's fat is another man's muddy, is another man's buzzy, is another mans deep. (And that's mostly because they all have different amps Laughing )
To me, fat has got bottom end and a resonance in the top end and has a set of frequencies somewhere in the middle which are missing altogether!! That's why a good fat sound can hug another sound without strangling it.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: