electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Newbie questions regarding keyboard, tools needed, etc.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
KetchpChip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions regarding keyboard, tools needed, etc. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,
I'm thinking about making a Sound Lab Mini-Synth but I have a few questions.

(1) What kind of keyboard can I use? Can I just use my crappy old Yamaha keyboard's regular output? Are there any limitations/suggestions? It seems like some people are disassembling old organs and someone had a little toy keyboard. Are there any guidelines? Do you just need a 1/4" output from the keyboard?

(2) Obsviously I'll need a soldering iron to do this. Any other specific tools needed for the construction? Do you need a multimeter?

(3) If I were to plug a guitar into this thing would I need to wire things differently. I've seen the article on creating a "Sound Lab Mini-Synth Guitar Trigger" but I'll be using this primarily for keyboard usage. If I just plug a guitar in and don't rewire how does that sound?

(4) Approximately how long has this project taken people to complete?

Thanks.
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions regarding keyboard, tools needed, etc. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

KetchpChip wrote:
Hey,
I'm thinking about making a Sound Lab Mini-Synth but I have a few questions.

Hi KetchpChip welcome to this forum...

KetchpChip wrote:
(1) What kind of keyboard can I use? Can I just use my crappy old Yamaha keyboard's regular output? Are there any limitations/suggestions? It seems like some people are disassembling old organs and someone had a little toy keyboard. Are there any guidelines? Do you just need a 1/4" output from the keyboard?

no, you cannot use your yamaha as it is without making massive mods... analog synths (including the SL) are usually controlled by keyboards with CV and GATE outputs, so people usually buy old cheap keyboards to use the mechanical part only... then, they usually build specific circuits (to be connected to the "recycled" keyboard) like this one or this one in order to get proper CV and GATE outputs needed to control analog circuits...

KetchpChip wrote:
(2) Obsviously I'll need a soldering iron to do this. Any other specific tools needed for the construction? Do you need a multimeter?

take a look at this page...

KetchpChip wrote:
(3) If I were to plug a guitar into this thing would I need to wire things differently. I've seen the article on creating a "Sound Lab Mini-Synth Guitar Trigger" but I'll be using this primarily for keyboard usage. If I just plug a guitar in and don't rewire how does that sound?

if you don't build the guitar trigger circuit (that must be properly connected and installed into the SL), you don't have any chance to connect the guitar to the SL, unless you build it in its patched-out version (but I don't suggest you to do this if it's you very first project and your skills in electronics are not that wide...).

KetchpChip wrote:
(4) Approximately how long has this project taken people to complete?

it depends on the spare time you have to spend on the project... I've read on the web of a man who built his SL in one weekend only, but he was an expert builder with a lot of skills and materials available... a one to three months of "building time" would be pretty fair...

that's the best I could do with my lame english... if you have further questions, here you will find a lot of people happy to help you out...
ladislao
foogaty foo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have also been plotting my sound lab construction. And this isn't really an answer, but a follow up question to ladislaobiro's reply. (sorry!).
I have been observing this forum for a few weeks now, getting a feel for the common problems as I build up my supplies and tools, practice the handy work, and learn more about electronics and synths in general. I would also really like to use a keyboard with an SL as well.
Quote:
no, you cannot use your yamaha as it is without making massive mods... analog synths (including the SL) are usually controlled by keyboards with CV and GATE outputs, so people usually buy old cheap keyboards to use the mechanical part only... then, they usually build specific circuits (to be connected to the "recycled" keyboard) like this one or this one in order to get proper CV and GATE outputs needed to control analog circuits...

Now lets say that I have a synth with CV and gate outs (a Moog Rogue specifically), would that require any kind of mod to control the SL? It looks like he gives instructions on how to do so, but is this very difficult for a beginner?

It feels good to finally post something.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

foogaty foo wrote:

Glad you did. welcome to you and KetchpChip...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

foogaty foo wrote:
Now lets say that I have a synth with CV and gate outs (a Moog Rogue specifically), would that require any kind of mod to control the SL? It looks like he gives instructions on how to do so, but is this very difficult for a beginner?

It is good to have a keyboard with cv and gate outs already... you still have to check out the range and/or the level of voltages you can get out of your Source to see if it matches the SL standards...
I think that the SL requires a voltage range of 0 to +9VDC as a CV input, and the Source delivers a CV output voltage of 0 to +5VDC (if I'm wrong, please somebody stop me...) so I think it should work just fine...
I don't know about GATE INs and OUTs...
The best thing you can do is asking Ray for an easy way out (it shouldn't be that hard to make these two machines working together properly)... sorry, haven't been very helpful Sad
BTW, I'm also planning to control my SL with a Moog synth (a Prodigy in my case), so if Ray gives you good/easy guidelines to follow in order to make CVs and GATEs matching, please post a description here...

foogaty foo wrote:

welcome to this forum... Smile

ladislao
etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I think that the SL requires a voltage range of 0 to +9VDC

This is not 100% correct. The SL can be made to follow 1 Volt/Octave on its CV inputs and will take a maximum of 9V on that input.
It doesn't "require" 9V in any way (or else it would just output a single note in octave 9 Very Happy )
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
It doesn't "require" 9V in any way (or else it would just output a single note in octave 9 Very Happy )

well, it was just a misusage of the word (due to my ridicolously lame english... I do the best I can when writing here, but sometimes... you know...)... I just wanted to say that the accepted voltage for CV ins on the SL falls within the 0 to 9V range...
thank you anyway for pointing it out Smile
ladislao
foogaty foo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I think that the SL requires a voltage range of 0 to +9VDC as a CV input, and the Source delivers a CV output voltage of 0 to +5VDC (if I'm wrong, please somebody stop me...) so I think it should work just fine...

actually, it is a Rogue, not a Source, but I am sure the voltage is close to the same if not the same. Sources are really cool though. I will check it out when I get a chance. I really appreciate the help. I can't wait to get it going! Thanks.
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

foogaty foo wrote:
actually, it is a Rogue, not a Source, but I am sure the voltage is close to the same if not the same.

ooops... I seem to be a little bit dumb along this thread... Embarassed

foogaty foo wrote:
I really appreciate the help. I can't wait to get it going! Thanks.

no problem, you are welcome... Smile
ladislao

P.S.: yesterday I've received all the parts from the electronics shop, and I will have 4 days of vacation... it's time to get things going Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: