electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Hans Zimmer and Jay Rifkin
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Hans Zimmer and Jay Rifkin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Award Winning Music Creators in U.S. Court Battle
Fri Dec 5, 6:53 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hans Zimmer and Jay Rifkin, two childhood pals who created the award-winning film score for "The Lion King" have fallen out over what Rifkin described in a $10 million lawsuit as Zimmer's plot to take over their famed Santa Monica, California music studio.

In the lawsuit, filed on Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Rifkin accused his longtime partner in Media Ventures Entertainment Group of plotting with the company's resident composers to hijack the business "in a textbook example of breach of fiduciary duty."

According to the company's Web site, Media Ventures is home to more than a dozen composers, a support staff of nearly 100 and a 40,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art studio campus.

Zimmer, whose 100th film is "The Last Samurai," allegedly encouraged the other composers through a series of "secret e-mails" to stop working with Rifkin and join him "in a new paradigm or 'fraternity' of composers," the lawsuit said.

As a result, composers stopped honoring their contracts with Media Ventures and ceased cooperating in ongoing and future projects, the lawsuit said.

Zimmer, who has received major awards nominations for "Rain Man," "The Lion King," "The Prince of Egypt," "The Thin Red Line," and "Black Hawk Down," could not immediately be reached for comment.

Rifkin and Zimmer met as teenagers in Brighton, England, through their guitar teachers. They performed in a rock band together and operated a music studio from the mid- to late 1970s with Rifkin acting as engineer and producer and Zimmer taking on the creative composing duties, the lawsuit said.

The partners collaborated in Hollywood for the first time on the soundtrack for the 1988 film, "Rainman," which was nominated for an Academy Award.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it sounds like a bitter ending of a great collaboration
the shit hit the fan Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a fan of Zimmer's. I really do hope he is not the asshole here.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Hans Zimmer Worship Board

http://www.ifiji.com/msgboard.mv

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's one of my primary influences, if you want to call him that. He along with Marillion, Rush, Vangelis, some of Horner's work. There was actually a time when I was seriously interested in interning at Media Ventures. That faded as my desire to score faded, and as Zimmer became less hero-like and more peer-like to me.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Marillion? Did you notice all the LP covers they have on one of their old LP covers.. hehe.. anyway.. there they list osme of their influences. You will find Peter Hammill/VDGG there too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That actually does not suprise me. To this day, Clutching at Straws is one of my favorite Cds of that genre. I have difficulty dealing with non-Fish Marillion. It's just different, like Van Halen with Hagar, I suppose. Brave is great, but it's... just a different band.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The Hans Zimmer Worship Board

http://www.ifiji.com/msgboard.mv

wait a minute Exclamation the real Hans Zimmer Worship Page is this one as posted (in the Links pages) by yours truly Links Editor Exclamation

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite true.. but then who can control spontanous worship?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just hope he's not a villian. A villain chillin, grillin cream fillin for some swillin love.

Where is my Crimson Tide score?

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where is my King Crimson CD box?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Under your Gentle Giant collection.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
I loved this one Very Happy

Quote:
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We're such nerds.

And I love it.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HIHI!

BTW: Hans Zimmer is using ghost writers. Makes you wonder how much of the music really is his.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
HIHI!

BTW: Hans Zimmer is using ghost writers. Makes you wonder how much of the music really is his.

well...I am not surprised at all.
I guess ghostwriters are a common practice (I have one myself Shocked )
composing, arranging, orchestrating are time consuming processes unless your name is W.A. Mozart Exclamation (In that case you do not give a damn about ghostwriters), plus, these guys have to spend time on public relations, meetings with film (and mushroom) producers and who knows what else Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess "Hans Zimmer" is mainly a brand these days.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: