electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Elektro80 - A restored track
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Elektro80 - A restored track Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

restored... true and it still needs some work. I am trying to find some of the original notes.. hmm..
There is still distortion and tape hiss here and there. But I guess I will be able to get it sorted out. At least I have the project assembled in Cubase now.

Assault - link removed

You will hear a lot of old gear in here, and also the PPG Wave 2.3 and the Waveterm.

The title is Assault.. and well.. the pix below will probably tell you some more. It is part of a series of works . the "Trenches" series. I am trying to restore and/or rerecord the lot now.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:03 pm; edited 5 times in total
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when you say restored track do you mean one of your own tracks?

I really like the positioning of a lot of the sounds in the mix, some nice subtle touches and the use of 'real life' sounds at the end (is that a subway train or something similar at the end). My only criticism if I can make one without causing offence is the lack of any real harmonic progression or direction, but this is really more a matter of personal taste.

It is also nice to be able to tracks of good quality without waiting half an hour for the download.

Just out of interest what do you use your music for? is it art for art's sake, do you use it for work with image?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

twigetti wrote:

Just out of interest what do you use your music for? is it art for art's sake, do you use it for work with image?

I can verify that He uses his music for foot massage Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is that music for the left or right foot?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this track. Very relaxing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

twigetti wrote:
is that music for the left or right foot?

only Elekto80 can tell you that

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

twigetti wrote:
when you say restored track do you mean one of your own tracks?

One of my own .. yes. I transferred a lot of half inch 8 track tapes to DAT some years ago. Now and then I check out what is in that heap of tapes and try to reassemble one or two. Originally this was a live recording with the Tascam 8 track leeching the mixer. I think there has been at least 2 punch ins later on.. not sure.

twigetti wrote:
I really like the positioning of a lot of the sounds in the mix, some nice subtle touches and the use of 'real life' sounds at the end (is that a subway train or something similar at the end). My only criticism if I can make one without causing offence is the lack of any real harmonic progression or direction, but this is really more a matter of personal taste.

The mix is pretty much no mix at all. You just hear how each of the patches were laid out each on their own stereo track at the time the recording was done.

Dull? Well, artyfarty stuff is supposed to be bloodless and boring so I guess I just follow the tradition. "Blinded By Memory was played right after this one so you could test that one in order to get the general drift of things.

twigetti wrote:

Pretty much art for art´s sake I guess. This one has never been used with images or dancers. On the other hand.. if you add in some serious amps and large speakers this would pretty much translate into art for sake of pain... or something..

I might refurbish the thing a bit, but I haven´t yet found the paperwork. Only thing I know is that the very end is not quite what is supposed to be correct according to how I wrote it.

The machine noises is a mix of some elevators, a Leopard tank, some sewing machines and ..something. Those noises were on tape and triggered by a footpedal.

Dunno ´bout the footmassage. This one was part of the "trenches" series.. so I guess a bloodtransplant is more harmony with the basic idea behind this one.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
akyouser.oner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

listening now...

the begining has a nice, warm feel to it... kinda makes me feel like i'm inside a womb or something... reminds me quite a bit of the Boards of Canada.

the next 'segment' is making me feel like i'm being drawn into something... now i'm being thrust out into the world, more detailed...

now the noises... very good! this is a very beautiful piece. also, i wouldn't worry about tape hiss (not that i heard any), i think it gives the recording some depth.

Smile

visit http://infinitesector.org to see what the Infinite Sector Collective has to offer...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX! It is interesting to see how other people describes this one. I am pleased that some can make some sense out of it. I guess I have found some of the original score for this one, but I guess i have to play some parts of it first and see if it computes to this piece and the same version which is recorded here. I reckon I will try to fix some small sections which have errors and noise. All in all I think this recording is pretty OK and the performance is acceptable. The recording was done apporx. 17 years ago.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've listened to it a couple of times now and what comes across for me, is the wonderful diversity of textures... seems very spontaneous yet composed. Not my fave elektro80 track (that operatic one on your site is that!!!) but very cool...

Now where is my 'hand prop' smiley.

Rolling Eyes

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX Jeff! Well, spontanous vs. composed.. dunno.. one thing is to figure out the score another thing is play the damned stuff. Hopefully it sounds both like an ensemble piece and like ... hmm.. music. As event structures go I find "utmost savagery" and the "When The Machines Sing" song cycle a bit more spontanous but then my own opinion of my music should not be trusted. Cool

The operatic? You mean "Blinded By Memory"? I guess that is the only one I think I have out on the net now.. which can contain something which might resemble operatic. I have some other pieces which I guess are more within the proper scope of what is operatic, but I do not have any current and sensible recordings of those. BTW; thx! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
beat amateur

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Nice track Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to say that, after reading hundreds (oh, at least dozens!) of your posts, finally stopped long enough to check out one of your tracks. Well done! One thing I'm enjoying (same as for Howard's piece performed overseas) about the simple arrangements is that you can really devote your auditory attention to fully enjoying the acoustical/melodic/harmonic/etc elements.

[/i]
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX a lot. Quite probably both Howard and I share some of the basic concepts about sonics.
Interestingly enough, simplicity is not directly connected with how the music reads, but this is one of the wonders of music. Ahh... but you should have heard how Howard filled the jewish synagogue in Trondheim with some awesome honkytonk piano!!!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
artyfarty stuff is supposed to be bloodless and boring so I guess I just follow the tradition.

Do you really believe this? I have always thought that music was a reflection of both the emotional and the philosophical. If it is just a series of intellectual processes for the appreciation of other composers of a similar mindset then what's the point?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, not at all.. Very Happy

Just a joke... Very Happy

It was an offspring from that Beepsnort blog thread from 28th of november.

A composer basically has to write the music for himself/herself. Hopefully the music will make some sense for an audience too. Jeremy Ficklin wrote a nice little thingie about this, but I am not sure in which thread here he put that post.

I fully agree with:

Quote:
If it is just a series of intellectual processes for the appreciation of other composers of a similar mindset then what's the point?

Writing music for
Quote:
other composers of a similar mindset
is probably a game one can never win or master.. and in itself it is pretty pointless.

I guess I should mention that I personally see emotion and rationality as very closely related features. Reason will forever be connected to emotion.. at least if we are talking human beings... dunno ´bout fish though..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I write a piece I usually pick up on some idea about some sort of human experience and then elaborate on this. In the case of Assault, I picked up on the inbetween state of panic and calm.. sitting in a wet dirty trench with friends.. .. waiting for the signal to attack the enemy positions.. and .. as reason tells you.. probably ending up dead in the barbed wire.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can hear that. The piece makes more sense to me with that in mind. Although I think it could benefit from a really big CHARGE section (just kidding) Laughing

Did you ever perform any of the trenches series/ do you perform any of your work in a 'live situation?
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when I say CHARGE think 'William Tell' overture.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You asked in an earlier post if I have worked with images. And yes.. I have. I did some music for documentaires back in the early 80s and also some joint artyfarty projects with friends.

This series of pieces ( the Trench series ) was originally written as standalone material, but a few years later I go the idea to make a TV xmas calendar thing out of the concept. The idea was to follow soldiers at the front 1916 - from december first to december 25th. Each episode was to be 15 minutes. In the end absolutely everyone dies. The violence was to be very graphic.. and very realistic. Of course noone wanted this excellent concept.. we were thrown out of absolutely every production company we visited. Dunno.. but perhaps the climate is different these days. HBO did "band of brothers"... maybe some company will love this one.. ???? Hmm.. or possibly not...

I have perfomed but not recently. These days I lack a decent rig that can do the job for live use. We shall see. I am very interested in doing concerts, but I guess I have to get more gear and possible put together material that is not too complex. I have no funds for hiring a lot of musicians.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wilhelm Tell? Shocked Very Happy

BTW: have you heard the "Battle on the Ice" section from suite version of Andrei Nevsky - by Prokofiev? The early/mid 80s Telarc recording is pretty good. prokofiev wrote the music for the movie by the same name, by Eisenstein. Great movie. I hear the recent restored version is good. I have only seen the old euro-distro that was issued in the late 60s.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
twigetti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am surprised to hear that the xmas calendar series wasn't taken. I think if you had sold the idea in co-ordination with actual advent calenders where little dead chocolate soldiers fell out when you opened the doors, then you would be assured success.

you're right about keeping it simple with the live performance. Without the cash for a lot of musicians you become very reliant on the technology which becomes increasingly unreliable with each addition to your set up.

As far as William Tell goes, think Rossini and 'The Lone Ranger'

Haven't heard the Prokofiev suite you mentioned, will check it out. What particularly made you mention it?
jbenzola

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very beautiful and meditative piece. This reminds me of lying on the grass and watching the clouds slowly move by. Wonderful pacing and textures. Thanks for the music!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

twigetti wrote:
I am surprised to hear that the xmas calendar series wasn't taken. I think if you had sold the idea in co-ordination with actual advent calenders where little dead chocolate soldiers fell out when you opened the doors, then you would be assured success.

In fact, we were thinking of a chocolate calendar.. but that one was for another project. I think "Victims of Imperialism" was the project name. I could not quite understand why people found that idea tasteless. Chocolate is quite good!

twigetti wrote:
you're right about keeping it simple with the live performance. Without the cash for a lot of musicians you become very reliant on the technology which becomes increasingly unreliable with each addition to your set up..

Very true. In the old days tuning and cables always involved demons and excorcism. These days computers crash... and using softsynths live is not that inexpensive. One have to also buy a lot of G5s and whatnot in order to host the virtual instruments. The Clavia G2 is promising but I might need several.

twigetti wrote:

Haven't heard the Prokofiev suite you mentioned, will check it out. What particularly made you mention it?

I just thought of it.. that specific section has a great battle scene and some of the music is quite "ambient" in nature. It is very interesting how he used orchestral textures to great effect.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jbenzola wrote:
A very beautiful and meditative piece. This reminds me of lying on the grass and watching the clouds slowly move by. Wonderful pacing and textures. Thanks for the music!

THX a lot Very Happy
If you enjoyed this one you might also find Utmost Savagery interesting.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stein
as you know, i have been performing over the last few years, and here is how i [almost] solved the issue of reproducing multiple voices live on stage without having to haul up a thousand pieces of gear [which i have also done...]

let's say i have a 16 voice piece... first, i have the Roland VS 1680 which is a digital multi track recorder and mixer [16ch's] with a great built in FX proceessor

i select which sounds i should pre record on to the 1680 and which ones will remain midi or perhaps live sounds from DAT or any noise maker...then, since the 1680 has midi, when i hit 'play' i now mix all of those pre recorded sounds in real time, ad fx in realtime and run the midi triggered by the roland's MTC and mix it all together with a small mackie with a filter strapped on to the mix bus

this proved fairly successful for me ... and the set up was very compact and almost portable...too kme 20 minutes to set it up on stage

but i say it 'almost' works because there is a certain fixedness that comes from the pre recorded tracks that require serious real-time tweaking to add life and energy...but it mostly workd

OR, you could always do what techno mavens Orbital do ... i had the opportunity to be their opening act here in toronto and i got a close up look at their rig.....

they use about 15 alesis mt-8 sequencers and just use the track mute buttons and a huge analog mixer to mix about 20 synths and drum machines ...

mind you, they had a 10 man crew and a large tour bus so.... hehehehe
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: