electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Visual and Sonic Material, Wanted and Available
ANALORD complete set with binder listing on ebay
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:  ANALORD complete set with binder listing on ebay
Subject description: spread the word to those who may be interested. thanks
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4816429753&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

marmite. you love it or hate it.

i personally think that this is a beautiful expression of love for all things analogue. it's got the acid house(ish) and acid breaks(ish) crowd pleasers, but it does have far more left field and avante-garde stuff on there as well.

why is it done on analogue? i'll let Richard explain in his own words (nice to see him battling the flames on the planet mu forum)

source: http://www.planet-mu.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=166092&t=165057

"some people bought the analogue equipment when it was unfashionable and very cheap though.
some of us are over 30 you know!
anyone remember when 303`s were £50? and coke was 16p a tin? crisps 5p

also you have overlooked A LOT of other points because its not all about the overall frequency response of the recording system its how the sound gets there in the first place.
here are some things which you can`t get from a plugin,they are often emulated but due to their hugely complex nature are always pretty crass aproximations..

the sound of analogue equpiment including EQ, changes very noticably over even a few hours due to temperature changes within a circuit.
Anyone who has tried to make tracs on a few analogue synths and make them stay in tune can tell you this,you leave a trac running for a few hours come back and think Im sure I didnt fucking write that,I must be going mental!

this affects all the components in a synth/EQ in an almost infinte amount of tiny ways.
and the amount differs from circuit to circuit depending on the design.

the interaction of different channels and their respective signals with an analogue mixer are very complex,EQ,dynamics....
any fx, analogue or digital that are plugged into it all have their own special complex characteristics and all interact with each other differently and change depending on their routing.
Nobody that ive heard of has even begun to start emulating analogue mixer circuitry in software,just the aesthetics,it will come but im sure it will be a crap half hearted effort like most pretend synth plugins are.
they should be called PST synths, P for pretend not virtual.

Every piece of outboard gear has its own sound ,reverbs,modulation effects etc
real room reverb, this in itself companies have spent decades trying to emulate and not even got close in my opinion, even the best attempts like Quantec and EMT only scratch the surface.

analogue EQ is currently impossible in theory to be emulated digitally,quite intense maths shit involed in this if youre really that interested,you could look it up...good luck.

your soundcard will always make things sound like its come from THAT soundcard..they ALL impose their different sound characteristics onto whatever comes out of them they are far from being totally neutral devices.

all the components of a circuit like resistors and capacitors subtley differ from each other depending on their quality but even the most high quality milatary spec ones are never EXACTLY the same.

no two analogue synths can ever be built exactly the same,there are tiny human/automated errors in building the circuits,tweaking the trimpots for example which is usually done manually in a lot of analogue shit.
just compare the sound of 2 808 drum machines next to each other and you will see what I mean,you always thought an 808 was an 808 right?
same goes for 303`s they all sound subltey different,different voltage scaling of the oscillator is usually quite noticable.

VST plugins are restricted by a finite number of calculations per second these factors are WAY beyond their CURRENT capability.

Then there is the question of the physicallity of the instrument this affects the way a human will emotionally interact with it and therfore affect what they will actually do with it! often overlooked from the maths heads,this is probably the biggest factor I think.
for example the smell of analogue stuff as well as the look of it puts you in a certain mental state which is very different from looking at a computer screen.

then there is analogue tape...ah this really could go on forever....

im quite drunk cant be bothered to type anymore...
so yeah,whatever, you obviously dont have to have analogue equipment to make `good` music in case thats the impression im giving,EVERYTHING has its uses .And not all anlaogue equipment is expensive you can still get bargains like old high end military audio devices,tape machines fx etc just go for the unfashionable stuff.

Richard."
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are charming records and Richard's drunken posts are amusing but I don't believe it's all analogue. The breaks stuff has a few too many reversed snares for that. Yeah, you could cut tape but I don't believe it, he cut a few digital corners.

They are good fun still, I realy like "where's your girlfriend" and "crying in your face" and tracks like that with the little voices.

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: ANALORD complete set with binder listing on ebay

Stanley Pain wrote:
Analord - "Then there is the question of the physicallity of the instrument this affects the way a human will emotionally interact with it and therfore affect what they will actually do with it! often overlooked from the maths heads,this is probably the biggest factor I think.
for example the smell of analogue stuff as well as the look of it puts you in a certain mental state which is very different from looking at a computer screen."

I've been trying to explain this to the "digital can emulate anything given enough power" people for ages, but no one ever listens. Having the instrument right there in front of you makes a HUGE difference, and that difference can never be emulated in software.
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's always fun watching someone trying to tweak 2 parameters at once with a mouse. Smile
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
it's always fun watching someone trying to tweak 2 parameters at once with a mouse. Smile

Realy? you like that? Well then, for a modest fee you can sit in the corner of my studio and watch me do that all night. You see, I put one parameter on the X-axis of this little square in Live and the other on the Y axis and I can mouse-tweak two parameters for your enjoyment all night long.

I suppose you could make a mouse that would output two parameters of cv for your favourite anlogue modular; people have used joysticks for that so why not mice? With a scrollwheel you could do three parameters; you could go on stage with your Serge hidden in the backstage with long cables and people would only see you use a mouse, think you were one of those cool modern laptop musicians and love you. Of cource your roady would have to get the Serge out of the backstage before the inevitable groupies, atracted by your modern coolness, arrive but that's very managable.

If you'd like I could suply you with a fake toy laptop; I have one here that can say letters and numbers and do beeps; it has a mini-jack output too that I put in. You'll like it, it'll be perfect for your act; there's this picture on it of a mouse and is says "mouse" besides this icon, to avoid all doubt (the toy laptop itself didn't come with a mouse though).

Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

***adopts as camp a voice as possible***
ooo! hark at her!

you know what i mean. i'm primarily computer based, but there's nothing more inviting to me than a big row of knobs. by which i mean potentiometers.

i like playing the 'cello too. make mirth at that if you will. Smile
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 625

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
potentiometers.

I know, there is nothing like a well greased wiper floating across a resistive track with just the right amount of friction and inertia.

(can't find the drooling emoticon)

Mind you, not all analog gear is the same, the rotary pots on a Cat SRM are too flaccid and I never cared for sliders (Korg Traveler excepted).
Even a good pot looses something when it is being sampled for patch memory (the Prophet 5 effect).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ANALORD complete set with binder listing on ebay

Richard D James wrote:

im quite drunk cant be bothered to type anymore...
so yeah,whatever, you obviously dont have to have analogue equipment to make `good` music in case thats the impression im giving,EVERYTHING has its uses .And not all anlaogue equipment is expensive you can still get bargains like old high end military audio devices,tape machines fx etc just go for the unfashionable stuff.

Richard."

Well said Richard!

...thanks for the link Stanley Smile A bit of a chore reading some of those posts mind- but grimacing over whether this or that is better/ worse is so mind numbingly boring!!

go forth and make good music.....

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh. no prob. nice to see that, in some respects, he's just like the rest of us.

anywho... good advice. go forth and make music. and appreciate good music too! speaking of which, meander to the top of the thread and forward the link to all your dj friends with too much money.

or... if you work in a university, isn't it about student loan time...?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
heh. no prob. nice to see that, in some respects, he's just like the rest of us.

Of course! Mike Paradinas' wife Jess' brother is one of my close mates here in Brum- and my girlfriend is also in a cult British electronica band- who have released over 12 LP's and several TV commercials under their belts- but that's the joy of the Internet- no one know's who anyone is!- I mean YOU mr Pain could be mr Aphex Twin as far as I know??? hehe

Stanley Pain wrote:

or... if you work in a university, isn't it about student loan time...?

Indeed! woo-hooo!!- wait a minute... it's time to pay the mortgage....bummer Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
***adopts as camp a voice as possible***
ooo! hark at her!

you know what i mean. i'm primarily computer based, but there's nothing more inviting to me than a big row of knobs. by which i mean potentiometers.

i like playing the 'cello too. make mirth at that if you will. Smile

:¬)

Ah, I just thought it was funny. I use this launchpad by E-MU, with the fave fiders under your left hand you can do five parameters at the same time. I use it on both hardware and software with the little MIDI channels switch. But yeah, in the heat of the moment I sometimes forget to switch MIDI chanels which doesn't happen with the physical gear.

I play Digerido too, that's worse still.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

I play Digerido too, that's worse still.

you're telling me- digeriedirge more like. The tube that smells like cheeze!

Stanley Pain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I mean YOU mr Pain could be mr Aphex Twin as far as I know??? hehe

i'm actually rolf harris... Embarassed muahaha... a-hoo-a-ha-a-hoo-a-ha-a-hoo.........
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
I mean YOU mr Pain could be mr Aphex Twin as far as I know??? hehe

i'm actually rolf harris... Embarassed muahaha... a-hoo-a-ha-a-hoo-a-ha-a-hoo.........

we know Shocked Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Visual and Sonic Material, Wanted and Available
Jump to: