electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Uncle Krunkus' Stripboard Soundlab
Page 1 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
kokoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:  Uncle Krunkus' Stripboard Soundlab Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so - did you post the moded version then? i'm interested in building one...
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I posted a closeup of the S&H section on another thread, I can't remember now.
Anyway, here's a copy of V2.0 which includes the S&H and the 1V/Oct mods. The designators for the S&H are as per Ray's Schem +300. Note the orientation of the chips, and the three "weird" links. Two diagonal ones on front, and one long horizontal on back.
This layout now looks (and is) cramped in the top left corner, compared to some space I could probably steal from elsewhere. I'd like to refine it sometime, but it's one of those jobs I haven't gotten around to yet. Besides, at this stage I can gaurantee that the whole board (except the S&H) works perfectly. If you build it and the S&H works please let me know, as it may be a while before I get the chance to check it myself.

SL V2_0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.52 KB
 Viewed:  67017 Time(s)

SL V2_0.jpg

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the copperside view.

SL CS V2_0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.06 KB
 Viewed:  67013 Time(s)

SL CS V2_0.jpg

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kokoon wrote:
so - did you post the moded version then? i'm interested in building one...

Of course!- Thanks for reminding me kokoon- and btw welcome to electro-music.com!

here;

snip....

Feel free to as any questions- and please let us see your creation when it's finished!

Edit- well andrew- beat me to it?- phew! Wink

I'm splitting this thread here and making it a sticky window Smile

Tom

Last edited by v-un-v on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
kokoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sweet! what about the underside? i mean... where the traces are cut.

note: i've never done a stripboard anything YET.
kokoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops this forum can be quite quick sometimes Smile

thanks for the welcome, i'm currently deciding whether to buy the pcb or to make a stripboard version... the latter can last right? i mean.. it's not meant only for testing purposes?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I had the choice, I would go for Ray's PCB. Stripboard is a real chore- and is a sort of nostalgic thing used by people who are well into self harm (basically masochists!!!)

The postage will take a while but its worth it Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The toe of my boot's getting nostalgic right now! Laughing
nguga

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi !

Uncle Krunkus can you explain me what is for the 2 circles that are
under the R60 and R61

the same for the Old StripBoard version

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/SoundLabStripBoard.html

i have not connected them to nothing ....

what are they for ?

Thanks
Pedro

www.pedroinf.plastic4records.com
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put them there to remind myself (mostly) that if the tempco mod is implemented (replaces R60/61) they need to be sat between the 2N3904s and thermally packaged somehow to get the best 1V/Oct tracking.
The red circle (in my mind) means the resistor and the 2 transistors are thermally "connected" if you know what I mean.

microjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys are really insane Smile
the stripboard version of the weird sound generator drove me nuts. cant even imagine doing it for the soundlab Smile
i guess that why i love geeks though.

bye,
dennis
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I s'pose it all depends on how much patience and how little money you have! Wink
microjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, i suppose i should count my blessings that i can afford a fair amount of chemicals and a laser printer. or maybe i should dispose of all material goods and learn how to etch patterns into stone, while holding philisophical conversations with animals Wink

geez, this has got to be my favorite community. it is too bad that we must live in different locations, life would be so nice with local geeky friends!

dennis
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

microjackson wrote:
geez, this has got to be my favorite community. it is too bad that we must live in different locations, life would be so nice with local geeky friends!

Great. You might consider coming to electro-music 2006. Last year's event was quite something. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Randaleem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Stripboard Sources in USA? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I s'pose it all depends on how much patience and how little money you have! Wink

I've always thought this stripboard technique looked interesting and useful when I see it in magazine articles from across the pond. And quite a bit more easily done than our Breadboard to RS-276-170 or 276-150 breadboard equivalent PCB, IMO.

But I've never found the raw materials anywhere convenient; and it seems a bit out of whack to MAKE stripboard from raw PCB stock ! Laughing

Anybody know of any reasonably priced sources for the stripboard and clearing tool?

Thank you in advance,

Randal
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The stripboard I get comes from Jaycar Electronics here in Australia, but I'm sure you can get it in the states. For a clearing tool, or strip cutter, I use a 3mm bit in a pin vice. Very cheap, and easy. I haven't ever seen a tool which is specifically designed for cutting stripboard, but I have heard they exist.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stripboard Sources in USA? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Randaleem wrote:

Anybody know of any reasonably priced sources for the stripboard and clearing tool?

Randal

mouser #854-ST6U, 854-ST3U... recently added. for cutting strips, i use a dremmel with the little ball rasp...

b
Randaleem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripboard Sources in USA? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob,

Thank you for the info. That stuff is still kinda pricy, eh?
(basically, 10+ bucks per Euro card; sold in 1 and 2-1/2 Eurocard size)

krunkus, Thank you also. I've got a machine shop; so I'll probably make a piloted counterbore style tool if I can get past the sticker shock Very Happy

Randaleem

bbob wrote:
Randaleem wrote:

Randal

mouser #854-ST6U, 854-ST3U... recently added. for cutting strips, i use a dremmel with the little ball rasp...

b
Randaleem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Stripboard layot program9s)???
Subject description: Any god ones?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krunkus,

What was the name of that stripboard layout program you use?

Is is shareware, freeware, or?

I don't remember seeing a link to get it in the earlier parts of this thread. Do you have one?

Thank you,

Randal

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
The stripboard I get comes from Jaycar Electronics here in Australia, but I'm sure you can get it in the states. For a clearing tool, or strip cutter, I use a 3mm bit in a pin vice. Very cheap, and easy. I haven't ever seen a tool which is specifically designed for cutting stripboard, but I have heard they exist.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's called Lochmaster.

Made by -
www.abacom-online.de

It cost me about AU$30-40
There's a new version now.

Jeronimo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does version 1 of this layout (the one that's on the sound lab site) include the 1V/oct mod? Or will I have to add it. I've decided not to do the sample and hold for right now.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the one on the SoundLab page doesn't include the 1V/Oct mod. The one further up this page does. It also includes the S&H in the top left corner. Just isolate which bits you don't need, and omit them if you don't want it.
Jeronimo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, Thanks for clarifying
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
For a clearing tool, or strip cutter, I use a 3mm bit in a pin vice. Very cheap, and easy. I haven't ever seen a tool which is specifically designed for cutting stripboard, but I have heard they exist.

Here's one: http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=4294843874

I have no idea where you can find one retail...
freewave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any lochmaster rst files for the soundlab ver2 that can be downloaded. I was not aware of creating stripboards with software until I came to this site. Its nice to see you dont need all those chemicals to build a sound effects project. It looks like lots of fun.

regards freewave
Page 1 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: