electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Version 1.40 Released!
Page 2 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Joe Misra

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't stop playing with it. I've been going through all the patches I've collected from the forum hitting 'N' over and over... So many hidden sounds...
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new v1.4 is great! but it is something I do after I'm done patching ... which means more material, lasting longer, with more changes, which is good... the DNA looks cool and wormy! Yeah, variations created with the mutators, should be called worms, not noodles ... nice worms, but worms nontheless...

but I like to tweak the panel, thus, mosc, I agree, the fact you can't assign the patch adjustor knobs to the panel, sux. Maybe they could do a quick morph assign (assign all attacks, all decays, etc) ... that would be better than nothing...

oh, and all those patches I messed up and could not open before, now open with no problems ... I guess time was all it took ...

Gotta go -- packing my sh*t for NAMM 06 tonight including a CD of 2 dozen+ patches/prfs ... and the digital camera and tripod!

Talk to you when I get back!
/Dasz
varice

G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Clavia programmers must not be very superstitious. The Windows version of the Editor reports in the About Box that the Editor was built last Friday the 13th Exclamation
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe this OS is evil?

I don't think so Wink. Just look into Setup - Options. High Contrast mode for color blindness. They do listen...
/Dasz
varice

G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Except for a couple of old bugs that were not fixed, I have not noticed anything bad that could be attributed to bad luck (I say while knocking on wood). Laughing
coolcat

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

varice wrote:
The Clavia programmers must not be very superstitious. The Windows version of the Editor reports in the About Box that the Editor was built last Friday the 13th Exclamation

alien The day of the MUTANTS alien

cat Menno
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Maybe this OS is evil?

I don't think so Wink. Just look into Setup - Options. High Contrast mode for color blindness. They do listen...
/Dasz

There ARE crucified three 6's crucified (not sequentially though) in the version line too (see my screenshot- other post)
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know how anyone could be dissapointed with this... it's worth 20 new modules as far as I am concerned...

I don't about everyone else but in the 7 years or so (god I didn't know it was that long) i've been patching nord modulars a fairly common occurance has been spending 5 hours on a patch... and it sounds terrible at the end of it Smile And I've walked away with nothing..

I don't think that will be happening anymore...

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well its absolutely great for synth idiots such as myself who are not sure what all the knobs on a patch do.

It definately makes it easier for me to come up with some nice sounds.

Cheers

Andy
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
I don't know how anyone could be dissapointed with this... it's worth 20 new modules as far as I am concerned...

I don't about everyone else but in the 7 years or so (god I didn't know it was that long) i've been patching nord modulars a fairly common occurance has been spending 5 hours on a patch... and it sounds terrible at the end of it Smile And I've walked away with nothing..

I don't think that will be happening anymore...

Well, I think one should be realistic about this. The new features are not like that mythical magic button that says [HIT] and instantly makes you famous, filthy rich and greatly increases the frequency of your sexlife. Wink

The point is that if you are looking for that particular sound some work will always be involved. No matter if it is going through a vast sample library, trying to tweak an analog synth towards a wanted result, or having to do a lot of mutations and listening to them if they indeed are what is needed in a song. The mutator tool is just another tool you can use to narrow in on that particular sound. I think that if you read the manual thoroughly this message is clearly written there.

Maybe it is a good idea to see it as a tool that when you are inspired can help in alternative ways to get the results you need. Or is just fun if you're out of inspiration and perhaps might give you inspiration. Provided you want certain results of course, otherwise any function like this will not be more that a luxurious randomizer. Note that it is to be expected that the 'garbage in -> garbage out' principle will still be at work. As what use is any mutator-like function if there is no good patch to use as a starting point?

I think Dasz is on the right track when he says he first makes a patch based on something he is after and only in the end uses the mutator to create variations that sort of fit the original idea. But I might be wrong in this, as it is a bit early to form an opinion about viable ways to use it.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally!

I've only played half an houre with 1.4 but I really like it.
The patch mutator is really cool and sounds very musical!
It sounds alot more musical than any randomizer I've ever played with, works great on sequencer-based patches.
The patch adjuster is also a very usefull tool, works great on jan's noodles for example! Smile
I'm a little bit surprised there isn't a "pitch" knob here?
(it's just a pitty that we can't assign knobs to this patch adjuster!)

anyway.... Nice job clavia!
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88, where did you find out about the z know? That's great, just the right complement to the Mutator.

Finding new sounds is so easy now, almost too easy to send them to the forum. We might drown in new patches, which are actually only variations on the old ones. I wonder: is that a problem? Do we need another forum for mutated patches? I mutated the 108-Koto patch (was it me?) and put it back in the Acoustic forum, but hey - is that still a Koto that I hear?

I'm just glad that they can't do that as yet with us. I mean the mutating thing, you know... Me and a Koto. And something from the old dinosaur egg they found in the cellar. Just to check it out, if it's rubbish, just delete it. cyclops
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

I'm just glad that they can't do that as yet with us. I mean the mutating thing, you know... Me and a Koto. And something from the old dinosaur egg they found in the cellar. Just to check it out, if it's rubbish, just delete it. cyclops

In addition, let's hope there are no hereditary diseased inside Red Boxes. Did you notice that the manual actually warns against inbreeding? Well, at least brother-sister matings are not encouraged. Scary stuff alien
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
Well, I think one should be realistic about this. The new features are not like that mythical magic button that says [HIT] and instantly makes you famous, filthy rich and greatly increases the frequency of your sexlife. Wink

Hehe.. I am being realistic. If you've heard my music you'll know that I know I'll never be famous Wink

I've spent 6 hours using it and have come up with some fantastic sounds from patches which I knew had some promise but which I had hit a dead end with.

I barely ever approach patching with much of a plan.. and generally I get good results (in terms of what I was personally seeking).

It depends how you use the G2 and what you do with the results, I often record large chunks of audio and then edit in the computer rather than try and get a 'perfect' patch... I'm more interesting in getting useful textures which i can manipulate further in the computer, often sampling and cutting up large sections and then re-sequencing using the G2 to trigger.

This is perfect for the way I use the modular.

Steve
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The new features are not like that mythical magic button that says [HIT] and instantly makes you famous, filthy rich and greatly increases the frequency of your sexlife.
right, i'm waiting for the "analog tilt filter" before i expect my sexlife to improve Smile

playing with this feels like playing with photoshop plugins (which is also fun). the interface is really nice and quick...much quicker than i would have expected.

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the patch mutator, but it takes me one step away from the patch and from patching process and experience. I mean, it can create some facinating changes, but you really are one level of indirection away from what is happening. Unless you really put in a lot of effort, you don't know what the mutator is adjusting. Sure, you get to vote on what you like and what you don't, and maybe you can come across sounds you might not have thought of otherwise, but the process doesn't require or advance knowledge. My first impression is that I don't care for this. I prefer to know exactly what it going on.

I guess you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
My first impression is that I don't care for this. I prefer to know exactly what it going on. .

Well that's taught me more than looking at a thousand patches that I have a very different approach from you guys Smile

Joe Misra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the real benefit will be when I want to work on a song, not patch. If I want to jump right into building a track and pull up some unique sounds to work with, this will be extremely useful.

I spent a few hours and came up with hundreds of useful sounds in patches of mine I never had enough time to fully explore (though I couldn't stop playing with the mutator to actually work on a song...)

mosc wrote:
I like the patch mutator, but it takes me one step away from the patch and from patching process and experience. I mean, it can create some facinating changes, but you really are one level of indirection away from what is happening. Unless you really put in a lot of effort, you don't know what the mutator is adjusting. Sure, you get to vote on what you like and what you don't, and maybe you can come across sounds you might not have thought of otherwise, but the process doesn't require or advance knowledge. My first impression is that I don't care for this. I prefer to know exactly what it going on.

I guess you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc, if you are mutating your own patches, I find that it is worth looking into what changes the mutator makes to the designs (it's like looking at other people's patches based on YOUR synth or groovebox), it gives me ideas on how I could tweak the design, what I could add or remove to the patch (in terms of modules).

I think the mutator is an excellent source for testing the types of patches your designs. I panel surf the patch when listening to a worm (mutated variation) I really like.

Yes it does suck we did not get any new modules or any substatial fixes or additions to existing modules. But like I always say, with Clavia, never hold your breath (for deadlines or features). Clavia have their own ideas, and have the right to do develop whatever they want.

A great feature would have been to mutate the morphs too. So the mutator creates morphs for you.

Cheers.
/Dasz
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't forget you can exclude specific modules from mutation... although, it would've been even nicer to exclude specific controls, as well... also, it would be fantastic if we could define what the patch adjustor adjusts!
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's time to leave control behind and embrace the pure psychic automatism Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
works great on jan's noodles for example! Smile

You're not implying something here I hope Question Ok I'll trust your smilie then Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Afro88, where did you find out about the z know?

It was in the readme.txt that got installed into the exe folder I think.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
although, it would've been even nicer to exclude specific controls

Indeed.

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, excluding individual controls is a big loss. But you can work around this by excluding a whole a module, connect a level module to a modulation input (or if no modulatio input exists for a parameter, then do this via internal midi cc's), and include this level module in the mutation (but then it is excluded from the quick patch adjusment, since it is just a generic knob).

But doing this is a pain in the butt vs having the elegant ability to exclude a knob or a module. Maybe in v1.41??

Now that I think about it, we could write s/w that would send keystrokes to the mutator (via Windows Message Queue), that would create worms (mutations) automatically, and broadcast it.

We could call it worm radio. But it is not the same as noodle radio (which is personally crafted by Jan, and not by code and DNA).

/Dasz
Page 2 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: