electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Resistor values for soundlab (newbie question)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
oldplasticbag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Resistor values for soundlab (newbie question)
Subject description: 1% and 2%
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was ordering resistors from mouser I used that guys list parts and used the hyperlinks and I didn't pay attention and got 2% resistors instead of 1%!! I was wondering if using 2% will cause the soundlab not to work? thanks for your time time!
ladislaobiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it could create any kind of working problem...
but I prefer to leave detailed explanations to someone else with wider skills and better english...
cheers,
ladislao
oldplasticbag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for replying. I am not concern if the soundlab will not sound as it is orignally planned. and to update, it was my fault and not that fellow who posted the mouser listings.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 51
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1% means the actual value will be within 1% of the markings. So a 470K 1% could be anywhere between 465.3K and 474.7K at a tolerance of 2% the actual value will be anywhere between 460.6K and 479.4K. So a particular 2% resistor may actually be closer to 470K than another 1% resistor. The tolerance is really just a way for the manufacturer to let you know how accurate it is without you having to measure it with a meter.
So,..... if unsure about whether you want to push it or not, grab a meter and find which of the 2% ones are actually within 1% or better. There will definately be some.
Oh, and BTW the difference between 1% and 2% is very unlikely to hurt your circuit, remember that a lot of components you are putting in their probably only have an accuracy of 5% or even 10%. In a project like the Soundlab 1% resistors are mostly used to control the accuracy of CV tracking etc. and are not holding the expensive smoke in!! Laughing

Etaoin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note though that there may be a difference in temperature behaviour between 1% resistors which are usually metal film and 2% resistors which are usually carbon. But yes, this is unlikely to matter for the SL.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: