electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
PCB layout for Ian Fritz' AD/AR EG
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: PCB layout for Ian Fritz' AD/AR EG
Subject description: ..built one and it works
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

I recently did a pcb-layout of the simple little AD/AR circuit presented to the forum by Ian Fritz...here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21723.html&postorder=asc&highlight=envelope+generator+ian

He mentions an addon to it here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21723.html&postorder=asc&highlight=envelope+generator+ian&start=25

I built mine without the trun switch, but the pads are included on the layout.
The jumper betwen the opamp and the 4.7uf cap is where you mount one side of both pots - the other side goes to either the A or D, depending on whether you are wiring Attack or Decay. Solder the wiper to the A/D leg of the pot, and you've got longer A/D times turning the pot clockwise.

I used 1N4148 for the diodes, and added supply caps and 22R resistors on the supply as well (the Ken Stone trick).

Didn't provide pads for the x and y inputs found on the schem, but if you want to add the delayed pulser like Ian has it on his units, I guess you could just hang that off the leg of the 390K resistor going to +input of A1.
Haven't tried that myself though.

Hope this is useful to someone - it's my first layout contributed to this forum, so I'm kinda proud of it... Laughing

Best,

C

Edit: I should say: This layout is ready for Press and Peel.

Fritz AD-AR_overlay.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.95 KB
 Viewed:  1121 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Fritz AD-AR_overlay.GIF

Fritz AD-AR_bottom.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.47 KB
 Viewed:  919 Time(s)

Fritz AD-AR_bottom.GIF

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice job - thanks for sharing this, Coriolis!

This is a nice circuit - I've got a pair of these in my newest cab and I them a lot.

bruce
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bruce.

Yeah, I figured this was such an easy build, easy to use and low in panel real estate, that i had to try it.

For some reason I find ADSR's a bit confusing to use, or perhaps to much hassle to set up. I like to adjust envelopes a lot, and I feel the AD/AR types work better for me.

Perhaps I will do a layout for the delayed pulser as well, if it's ok with Ian?

C
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Perhaps I will do a layout for the delayed pulser as well, if it's ok with Ian?

Sure! You could even put it on the same board. Just a couple of suggestions: (1) Be sure to use the CMOS version of the 555 (or 556). (2) Watch the PS routing and bypassing. Even with the CMOS version I like a decoupling cap at the chip and separate PS runs back to the board's power in.

Ian
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah for new pcb layouts!!

you workin on any other ones?

thanks to you and to IAN

Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(1) Be sure to use the CMOS version of the 555 (or 556). (2) Watch the PS routing and bypassing. Even with the CMOS version I like a decoupling cap at the chip and separate PS runs back to the board's power in.

Noted.

Other new layouts?
Weeelll..I do have a layout of an MFOS stereo panning mixer, and a layout of my take of the Baby 10 sequencer (Baby 8 in my case). The latter also features my ridiculously overkill debouncing solution for reset and manual step - nothing less than a oneshot with a 555 would work consistently for me!

There is also an onboard (555 based) clock.
What it should have but doesn't, is voltage buffers on the gate output (summed gate out and individual) otherwise driving multiple cv inputs gets weird fast. Maybe it would also benefit from an actual trigger out, to drive eg's better when clocked fast...
Buffers are too easy to do on perf or vero for me to bother adding them to the pcb though...
No wiring diagram for this - but take a look at fonik's Baby10 schematic, that's what I used for wiring (thanks for that, fonik!)

I'll post these layouts tomorrow, just have to go over them a last time.

C
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stereo panning mixer ehh. Is that the one with the general purpose mixer board?? As I was just getting ready to etch a few. Did you alter it in some was. I know it's got alot of area that doesn't get used.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, to be honest I took that multipurpose layout, shaved some things off, added some of my own. I really need to correct a few things though - don't have time till after the weekend I'm afraid...

C
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool I probably won't get around to it it till next week or so. I'll keep an eye out.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

Coriolis' PCB layout spurred me to do my own dual version last week (sorry, I don't mean to steal any of your thunder by adding my own layout!)

I've always been very keen on such EnvGens and this is a really great design - I'm gonna build a stack myself! I very much like compact layouts with pots mounted on board and this design really lent itself to a dual version. Its laid out for 16mm Alpha pots spaced by 0.8" (20.32cm) so fits nicely into my Frac system (or Eurorack).

I added LED indicators using standard transistor buffers and also included an extra switchable timing cap for each EG - I've yet to do my final value selections on these, but if you use holders you can always test things and select your favourite values (Ian's original schem specified 4u7)

I've done it up as a PDF with schematic redraw, parts placement and press'n'peel image. Of course its possible that the exact size of the PCB image may get scewed off somehow, so I'm attaching a hi-res TIF of the PCB too.

Enjoy! Many thanks to Ian for the great circuit!

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage.tif
 Description:
Press'n'peel image at 300dpi (tif file) - just in case the pdf one gets mis-scaled or something...
 Filesize:  2.34 MB
 Viewed:  1429 Time(s)

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage.tif

FritzDualADAR_BuildDoc.pdf
 Description:
PDF Build Doc for Fritz Dual AD/AR Env Gen - with redrawn schematic, parts placement and press'n'peel image

Download
 Filename:  FritzDualADAR_BuildDoc.pdf
 Filesize:  423.13 KB
 Downloaded:  2249 Time(s)

frijitz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Good job! Cool

Very Happy

Ian
6079smith

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thanks for these, guys.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes! That's the stuff Tom! Cool
If you didn't have 2 units in one layout, I'd use yours instead of my own, but I have different plans for my panel layout...
I should mod mine for on-board pots as well, it's the obvious thing to do...

Very Happy

C
Sebo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Coriolis, Bugbrand, and of cours Ian!!!
I think I would build a few of this in the future.
But lately my to-do list is growing too fast.

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I the only one who can't see the gifs and tif in this thread? I see empty attachment boxes.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The .tif image does not show for me. If I click on it, it does load in a new window and is viewable. The .gif images are viewable for me natively.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool and thanks for thanks and thanks to Ian! haha

Hey, so is the .tif not so much use to people? I could easily convert it to something else more standard - I just thought tifs were nice resolution.. Actually, I daresay jpeg would be just fine..

Ok, here it is again - 72dpi one and 600 dpi (I always wonder if that'd get resized? depends on software etc - confusion!)

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage_72dpi.jpg
 Description:
Fritz dual AD/AR Press'n'peel image JPEG 72DPI
 Filesize:  16.85 KB
 Viewed:  49909 Time(s)

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage_72dpi.jpg

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage_600dpi.jpg
 Description:
Fritz dual AD/AR Press'n'peel image JPEG 600DPI
 Filesize:  329.16 KB
 Viewed:  892 Time(s)

Fritz_Dual_AD_AR_PCBImage_600dpi.jpg

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Hey, so is the .tif not so much use to people?

Well, I don't know about that. I wasn't suggesting tifs aren't useful. My browser, Maxthon, doesn't like this thread, for some reason. I can see and click on gifs, jpgs, etc. in other threads, but in this one the only thing clickable is the pdf.

Strange.

Stranger. I just found that this thread acts normally in Opera and -- of all things -- IE!

loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anybody know how to increase the release time of this circuit? i like really long release times. does it matter how long of a gate it gets? or is the release time completely dependent on the timing cap size?

thanks

frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
does anybody know how to increase the release time of this circuit? i like really long release times.

My current recommendation is to use larger pots. 250k log for attack and 1M log for decay/release. You could up the decay/release pot to 2M, if resolution at the low end is not important to you. Also, you will get longer tails if the Truncate switch is in the closed position (no truncation). You can also increase the timing cap if you like. This will increase all times.

Very Happy

Ian
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anything against using a 500k-2M pot for attack?
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: PCB layout for Ian Fritz' AD/AR EG
Subject description: ..built one and it works
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:

I recently did a pcb-layout of the simple little AD/AR circuit presented to the forum by Ian Fritz...here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21723.html&postorder=asc&highlight=envelope+generator+ian

He mentions an addon to it here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21723.html&postorder=asc&highlight=envelope+generator+ian&start=25

Just as a heads up to anyone interested in this module, a new version is in the works. This will include one EG and the Delayed Monostable auxilliary circuit. All four pots will be board-mounted for a MOTM panel configuration. The proto board is here, and I hope to stuff and check it with a week or so. If it's OK, the final board will be available through bridechamber.com.

Very Happy

Ian
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good news, Ian. Thanks Smile

The Bridechamber Threeler board was great.
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
Anything against using a 500k-2M pot for attack?

No, nothing against it if you need long attack times. The only issue will be that you will loose resolution at the low end.

Very Happy

Ian
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...sounds interesting. I've been having trouble with my veroboard version of the delayed pulser (magic smoke coming out!), so maybe I should just spring for a couple of these boards to finally get that module done!

Will there be boardmounting of pots?

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [78 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: