electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Original intro and extro sounds... any idea?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Original intro and extro sounds... any idea? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I'm kind of stuck on something and I'm hoping you can help. When I make music in my studio (as opposed to solo G2 music), I create the music in a 4, 16, or whatever bar loop, then lay it out into a full track along the timeline in Cubase, and then go back and add what I call, 'the icing'.

This is basically made up from drum rolls, crash cymbals, filter effects, modulation, and intro and extro sounds... by this I basically mean sounds that go whoooosh - usually variations of filter swept noise. If you have heard any of my performances posted here, you'll probably know what I mean. I've posted a small patch with 2 variations as an example... tap the keyboard (don't hold it) for the correct effect.

The thing is that I don't like to use the same sounds in different tracks and I'm kind of running out of ideas for these sounds. So far, I've used LFO's, multiple envelopes, comb and phase filters, high and low resonance settings, added FM to the noise (as in example), but I think I'm just tiring of using noise.

The problem with using oscillators for these sounds (especially intro) is that they then have a tone which can clash with the notes in the track. Looking back over this post, I see it's kind of vague and not really going anywhere... ok, how about this?

If anyone uses intro/extro sounds (the difference is that one fades to full level, the other fades to nothing) other than very basic noise based ones, can they please attach them here, so I can get new ideas, or learn new tricks? If anyone doesn't normally do this, but would like to give it a go, then great too! Very Happy

Comb Whoosh.pch2
 Description:
Intro/Extro sound examples, variation 1 & 2

Download
 Filename:  Comb Whoosh.pch2
 Filesize:  2.26 KB
 Downloaded:  1366 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello, yes I do this all the time will as many of my tracks as I can make the time for. I go from using sound effect cds to pads to special synth sounds especially ring modulation type and lo-fi stuff and sometimes a mix of all of them. Sometimes I write the intro and outro at the end and incorporate parts of chords and or melody that are part of the main song.
I usually have to restrain myself though as my intro and outros become songs on their own. When I get some more time today I will try to post some examples. I hope that helps a little. But I know what you mean about running out of ideas and using the same sounds again etc. That is one reason I like the sound effect cds. You can really add some nice dimensions in conjunction with other elements if desired.

Are you talking about things specific only to the G2?
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
Are you talking about things specific only to the G2?

Well I was really thinking about new sounds that I could create on the G2, but it's interesting to hear about other methods too. I don't think I've tried ring mod for them yet, I'll give it a go... it sounds quite FMish I believe.

And yes, do post some examples please. Very Happy

astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

man i was just listening to your "jungle" patch

amazing.

maybe do some more detailed sound design that gets from point a to point b (can still satisfy the need for a woosh, but with more detail).

maybe rythmic burbles, try to model a rainstick, model a car wooshing by, that kinda thing.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got intrigued by the theory about droning that migraineboy presented in some thread. A noise-based drone might be interesting? I did a building block thingie here: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-15539.html.

Try this performance - go to slot B and momentarily turn up the "Feed" knob at the bottom, or send a note message or two to slot B. Once you have sound running, you can route it through an envelope or whatever. You can do lots a stuff with delays...

/Stefan

sbt_fd_with_percs.prf2
 Description:
Feedback drone with percs

Download
 Filename:  sbt_fd_with_percs.prf2
 Filesize:  4.11 KB
 Downloaded:  1926 Time(s)

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My apologies for the delay. I have been pretty busy and also wanted to finish this current track that I use the G2 for the intro.
In example #1, I just use some sweep fx/delay with ring mod on other sounds (non-g2).
#2 is the G2 , more sweeps (edited preset 2-21 Avitron Variation#5).
#3 is a clip of some zaps.
#3 is more of what you may be looking for?
You could possibly make a patch on the G2 for such things, where you could assign the speed to a controller using an lfo etc among other things?
I have yet to do this myself. Also I like to edit things after recording, using plugins especially, this allows me to get many of the sounds I personally am after. I dont have any G2 patches to post though sorry. I have always wanted and do try to use the G2 more for intros and have usually found myself going elsewhere, though this is due mostly to my lack of programming knowledge.
sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, thanks for the response. Very Happy

Jason, the (quietish) sound that comes in at around 8 secs on your second example is the kind of thing that I'm after. I've used many FM 'squiggly' sounds as intro sounds before, but they generally sound better when short.

I'm after intro sounds that last for around 32 beats or so. This is usually fine with noise as it has no pitch to get in the way of the tune, but I'm still looking for variations of other sounds with thte noise... maybe like a pad type sound with a HPF that fades from high to low at the end, or something like that? I don't know really... I usually just play about until I find something that sounds good.

Still, it's interesting to see how others go about thiese sounds. Very Happy

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....i know you are looking for g2 sounds, but you might think about field recordings (microcassetts have the proper lofi quality). make use of the inputs in the g2 and do all the stuff you would do with an oscillator based sound...filter, stutter, even fm the sucker! you can use a small digital recorder (cheap these days), and it can be differant every time you perform.

deknow
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Almost on Topic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tend to find processing a whole loop of the tune the most effective way of creating intros/outros, IMO the whooshy noises have been done to death over the years, not that my way is particularly by definition anymore original but...

I can't say I have actually managed it perfectly but I have always wanted n tried to get a tune to sort of form out of nothing during the intros, as if in a visual sense it is materialising before you (think star trek transporter). E.G. Once did the opposite for taking a bassline out of the mix, HP filtersweeps up n then just as it is about to disappear lfo kicks in on the filter making the bass line flutter towards the skies, if that makes sense.

I would have thought that feeding your whole track (Maybe a whole 16 bar loop, though short loops work well too if you have plenty of mod on yr processing) thro the G2 and using a number of filters, delays and possibly distortions could achieve this. Haven't got mine yet so can't be sure but the demo is giving me the impression that it will be spot on for processing/mangling.

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another option for creating a upwards / downwards whooshing effect - sweeping a Wavewrapper module.

For the audio signal getting processed by the Wavewrapper, try a cluster of triangle waves with dissonant tuning, and maybe mess up the triangle waves a bit before sending them to the wavewrapper, perhaps just a bit of audio rate FM. Be aware that the more complex the signal is that is being sent to the wavewrapper, the more the 'wrapped' signal will start to sound like plain noise. A possible starting point:

DP

WrapWhoosh.pch2
 Description:
Wavewrapper for swept "whoosh" accent noise.

Download
 Filename:  WrapWhoosh.pch2
 Filesize:  1.37 KB
 Downloaded:  1422 Time(s)

sheridan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, nice one Dave! Very Happy That's the closest to what I'm after personally... something to take the place of the old noise filtered whoosh, but to still do it's job in a similar way... great, thanks. Very Happy I'll do some further exerimenting with it when I have time... I'm back at uni now Sad

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try using the same MOD EG to sweep the pitch of the triangle oscs up a bit as well as sweeping the Wavewrapper. It gets rid of that last bit of steady pitch that can clash with notes in the melody. I think it improves it.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: