electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
Pong noodle
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Pong noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A genuine pong noodle. A pong noodle is related to a swinger, but as a swinger is started by an impulse, a pong uses delayed crossmodulation to build up its sound.

A noodle is music in the mysterialist style, mysterialist as it is often quite a mystery what the hell is going on in a noodle. And composers of mysterialist music in general never really bother to explain.

This one uses only the harmonics of one specific basic pitch. A 'lambdoma' system is implemented with two ContSeq modules and PartialQuantizers. In the lambdoma each pitch is related to the basic pitch with an easy interval using numbers with a numerator/denominator ratio, like 3/5, 5/4, 3/2, etc. The numerator is a positive value that goes into a PartQuant and the denominator is actually a negative number. By feeding both outputs to an osc the osc will detune by the set ratio. (One sets the overtone and the other the 'undertone', mixed they add together to produce the given ratio.)

Beware, 'harmonics only' tuning sounds pretty strange for the first time.

Like a typical NM noodle there is no renaming of modules or any sensible knob assignments. But note, there are no random settings, all is always intended. Though cheating is never noticed, little happy accidents are said to be not uncommon.

Anyway there is some subtle sound filtering going on using allpass filters. Messing these up does not necessarily mean an improvement. :D

HarmonicsPong.pch2
 Description:
Noodle patch using harmonics in ancient Greek 'Lambdoma' tuning. 4 variations, the first is reasonably suited for those new to noodles, the others are more industrial hardcore aficionados. Delayed crossmodulation is used, so it is a pong.

Download
 Filename:  HarmonicsPong.pch2
 Filesize:  6.88 KB
 Downloaded:  2567 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pong noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
A noodle is music in the mysterialist style, mysterialist as it is often quite a mystery what the hell is going on in a noodle. And composers of mysterialist music in general never really bother to explain.

Now I don't know about the noodle itself (at least until Howard (or some one else) makes a recording with it), but this is clever demystification :-)

Jan.

Who for a moment was afraid the trick would get explained ...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pong noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Rob wrote:

Now I don't know about the noodle itself (at least until Howard (or some one else) makes a recording with it), but this is clever demystification Smile

Your wish is my command... Laughing

I like this one. It's quite peaceful sounding.

mysterialist-noodle.mp3
 Description:
Harmonic Pong by Rob Hordjik. Straight recording, no effects or mixing. One pass direct from the G2.

Download
 Filename:  mysterialist-noodle.mp3
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Downloaded:  2675 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pong noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I like this one. It's quite peaceful sounding.

Very quite indeed, dead even, the link I mean, it seems to point into nothing ...

later

it works now _and_ it is a nice one, thanks Howard.

Jan.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1st post!

Fantastic stuff! I recently bought a G2 engine (upgraded from the micro) and after being completely knocked over by the sound and flexibility of this synth, as well as finally having a polyphonic multitimbral modular (what a step up that was), I have now discovered another truly amazing use for it - noodles! Very Happy

I really like this one Rob, as mentioned above it's very peaceful and defines it's own little world to grow in quite well. Those harmonic melodies are excellent, and I love the bass swells. My little red box has been noodling away on this patch for about 20 mins without myself getting bored of it, very nice.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Aftokid. Glad to have you here.

Congrats on your new G2 Engine. Enjoy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Sequencer - automatic (noodles)
Jump to: