electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
8-Stage Envelope
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: 8-Stage Envelope Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After reading this thread (http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-18089.html)
about DIY multistage-envelopes, I had an idea for a different approach. It is based on the X-Mux concept of Dave, but adds a nifty trick to provide individual rate control per stage, resulting in a true 8-stage envelope.

It uses only 18% of memory, of which 12,5% is used by the constant modules. So, by removing stages (which you can do just simply by deleting the respective constant modules), it uses even less.

I patched it quick'n'dirty on the demo software, hope it works on the real thing too.

Hope it is useful.

cheers,
tim

Edit: Just noticed a fun thing: by tweaking the X-fade amount on the X-mux, you can create "plateaus" in the envelope too.

Edit2: Due to design, the envelope starts "spontaneously" on patch load (just once). Depending on application, this might not matter, so I left it that way to make the circuit as economical as possible. However, since it might matter for some applications nevertheless, I've uploaded a second version, with this behaviour corrected. It uses two modules extra (the Status module and a logic pulse)

Edit3: This 8-Stage envelope generator was my first design and can now be considered obsolete. Try the 16-stage-envs, as they are way more efficient and have more stages.

8-Stage Env TK.pch2
 Description:
DIY 8-stage envelope generator

Download
 Filename:  8-Stage Env TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.77 KB
 Downloaded:  1557 Time(s)

8-Stage Env2 TK.pch2
 Description:
Same thing, but with the "start at patchload"-behavior corrected.

Download
 Filename:  8-Stage Env2 TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.85 KB
 Downloaded:  1487 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Kleinert on Sat May 26, 2007 1:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool ... I will try this out at home. thanks Tim.
/Dasz
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Tim,

Very cool, this works well! By coincidence, I just came up with another one, based on Jan's submission which was based on somethign I did... I think....

This one uses three separate sequencers, one for level, one for 'dwell' time on each step, and a third to vary the cutoff of a LPF set to a very low frequency, which has the effect of changing the glide rate between stages (you can have slow slides or sudden jumps like a S/H).

I also added some more logic stuff to create a true "sustain" feature. Simply press one of the 16 GATE buttons on the "Level+Sustain" sequencer, and the EG will pause on that step IF the keyboard gate is still present, and will stay there until you release the key, whereupon it will procees through the remaining 'release' steps. In the attached example, step # 6 is the sustain step.

Although this one has more features, I think yours is more practical for adjusting the parameters. This is because on mine, it is possible to make combinations of settings with the dwell time and glide rate for a given step that don't work properly together. For example, if you set up three consectutive steps with levels low-high-low with rate fast-fast-fast and long glide times between them, the signal will effectively 'skip' the high level because it will still be trying to slowly glide to it when it's time to move on to the third step, so you only hear one long low level instead of low-high-low.

You can get a more complex control signal with my scheme, but you have to pay attention when adjusting parameters. I think I prefer an EG that doesn't let you make any 'broken' settings, especially for live tweaking.

I think we just need to add the "Sustain" feature to your version and we got it.

e_m_s_e_303 GLIDE.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  e_m_s_e_303 GLIDE.pch2
 Filesize:  2.15 KB
 Downloaded:  1428 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fun patches guys.

I had a play with Tim's and the technique seems to hold for the SeqCtr module. Uses less dsp/mem and gives up to 16 steps.
I'm not sure if the stages are synched properly. You can get fewer stages by setting one of the rates to zero, which could also be how to do the sustain stage. Using xfade on the rates gives different shape curves.

16_stage.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  16_stage.pch2
 Filesize:  1.74 KB
 Downloaded:  1695 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
which was based on somethign I did... I think....

correct
Quote:
and a third to vary the cutoff of a LPF set to a very low frequency, which has the effect of changing the glide rate between stages (you can have slow slides or sudden jumps like a S/H).

Maybe interesting to read is : http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18184.html

I'll have to keep the patches for later. I had a quick look at Tim's, it has a cool way for speed control, but I'd like to be able to make it much slower. Anyway, must sleep now.

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice patches, folks.
/Dasz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also see : http://electro-music.com/forum/post-121884.html for a 16 stage one by Tim.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: