electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Punchy synth
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synthlab

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Punchy synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No new patches lately so I figured it was time to drag one out.

Exclamation You need a pedal set to CC 11, expression pedal, for this patch to work right. Also, ease into the volume so you won't eat speakers/headphones.

This is a patch tweaked from Zon Vern Pyles' Lead Variations. (thanks, Zon)

I'm trying to do three things here.

1) What I miss most from the big analogues is the punch. The shear power to knock walls down. ... Prophet 5 - punch and cutting power. On this patch, each voice has it own compressor. This seems to give the attack more umph. The expression pedal takes you from a muted blip to raging oscillators. There are 8 variations.

2) The reverbs on the G2 are a little boingy, they have a repeat to them. So, what I'm trying is to use two reverbs, a shorter, brighter one and a longer, darker one, to smooth things out a bit and give more space. Does it work? Kinda, sorta.

3) I grew up an ARP sorta guy... Moogs were more immediately musical, but on ARPs the controls had such a wide range, it was easy to go over the top, out into outer space land. The LFO on the mod wheel takes you right on out there. Cool. Pressure gives you a subtle vibrato if you need that.

OK, enough of this BS. Let's see how many tries it will take me to upload the patch.

RS_LeadVars.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RS_LeadVars.pch2
 Filesize:  2.61 KB
 Downloaded:  2131 Time(s)

synthlab

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the mono patch that I started from. Variation on 1 only. Played that for a while and then said, "what would it be like poly?" I like both.

RS_LeadVars_mono.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RS_LeadVars_mono.pch2
 Filesize:  2.54 KB
 Downloaded:  1981 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll check these out when I am not at work but a quick thought that jumped at me when you mentioned the reverb:

One thing I have been doing lately to make the reverbs sound more "expensive" is to do a simple widening trick on the reverb only.

Make the reverb fully wet. Route the output of the reverb into the two inputs on a 2B mixer and flip both channels and set the mixers to 50 and switch it to linear (so you have a mono mix of the reverb output which has been inverted). Route the reverb outputs into the chain inputs on a 1 channel stereo mixer and the 2b mixers output into both normal inputs on the stereo mixer. Now by controlling the level of this stereo mixer you can control the wideness of the reverb signal, by progressively removing the mono component. Finally make another mixer to mix the widened reverb effect with the dry sound.

Apologies if you already know this one.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: