electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Elektron Machinedrum
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Elektron Machinedrum
Subject description: Any good?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking of getting the Machinedrum UW SPS+.

I bet some of you lot have one so what do you think of it?

Cheers

andy
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nobody wants to talk Machinedrum with you?!?!

I haven't got one myself, but what I've heard makes me want one. They're not exactly cheap though. Used prices seem to be almost the same as new - that's what you get with a hipster cult following....

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided against it in the end, the price seemed pretty high for what you get.

The Octatrack looks more interesting though Smile

Andy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have one, but I get the impression that the user interface is very nice.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought there would be more Machinedrum users here too.

The Octatrack looks pretty tempting to me too.

Some old stuff on VIRB
miketheman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From all the experience from when I worked at a music store a couple of years ago. I can tell you that much that the machinedrum (as well as monomachine and probably the octatrack too), has a great user interface. In the sense that starting from scratch and quickly get a groove is in matter of fact within seconds actually. Quite amazing. If you´d looking for acoustic drum sounds or similar in it, there are not much there (if any). However if electronic drums are the aim here I can´t think of any better workhorse. Since the introduction of UW and the fact that there are parameter lock possibilities expands this drummachine into territories not commonly known for drummachines (from audience view anyway).

Octatrack is indeed a very... ahem... sick unit. Had it demonstrated for me, and I can´t even find words for how to describe the possibilities in it when it comes to mangling/bending the sounds. Would probably be easier though if I had big/deep experiences from software synths/drums/samplers (which I unfortunately don´t). But sick is a good word, in its good sense! Laughing

/mike

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Elektron Machinedrum
Subject description: Any good?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I have been thinking of getting the Machinedrum UW SPS+.

Andy, How about one of these instead? Cool

....saving again... clink, clink.... Exclamation Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's on the wish list already!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe. Excellent! Cool
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I understand, the Machinedrum will support any time signature. The Octatrack is reportedly even more flexible (if that is possible).

There are still a lot of unknowns about the Tempest. All we see from them at the moment is "look at me, I'm ANALOG!". No info on time signatures...

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it is highly likely that Tempest will support all time sigs, considering it is designed by Roger Linn himself (who is no slouch!)

Very Happy

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Akai MPC 1000 was unable to play any time sig other than 4/4 or some multiple thereof, at least without JJOS. And we know it was inspired by Linn's designs....

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roger Linn had nothing at all to do with the design of the MPC1000.

The 1000 was a joke, just like every other MPC desiged after the 60 and the 3000 (I know, I used to have a 2000- it was crap, and kept crashing if you programmed it too fast. Some menu functions didn't even work properly!).

Vader77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mpc1000 + JJOS2XL + SSD = beasty workstation

the Machinedrum is a very complete sequencing/sound unit but the drum synth sounds lacked clout imho but for digital stuff its very good but not the 'be all end all' by any stretch
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to prove my point, here is the absolutely brilliant Uwe Schmidt (Atom Heart) playing live with nothing more than an Akai MPC3000 on stage. If you look at the projection on the wall, it is the Akai's control screen, and it is clearly indicating in green that Uwe is playing back in 5/4! Cool

AtomTM worship!! Cool Cool Cool

edit- I think there is also a Tenori-On there too. Very Happy

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Just to prove my point, here is the absolutely brilliant Uwe Schmidt (Atom Heart) playing live with nothing more than an Akai MPC3000 on stage. If you look at the projection on the wall, it is the Akai's control screen, and it is clearly indicating in green that Uwe is playing back in 5/4! Cool

AtomTM worship!! Cool Cool Cool

edit- I think there is also a Tenori-On there too. Very Happy

Awesome vid. Thanks!

I know who Roger Linn is and have all the respect for his accomplishments. That still does not tell us anything about the time signature implementation. The Octatrack appears to be setting a whole new standard with any time signature allowed on each of its MIDI tracks, and on top of that, each track can have its own individual time signature.

Some old stuff on VIRB
skellogg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, you can nudge events forward or backward on the timeline with the microtiming feature.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skellogg wrote:
Also, you can nudge events forward or backward on the timeline with the microtiming feature.

Tempest or Machinedrum? I know Octatrack has microtiming features up the wazoo.

Some old stuff on VIRB
skellogg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Tempest and the MD don't really compete, since they are completely different beasts. Plus we'll have to wait and see what the Tempest actually brings to the table other than "look at me, I'm analog."

The Octatrack is sick sick sick. I'm loving mine.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tempest does remind me of a souped-up ER-1. It's a lot of money for what it is. The Octatrack I think is probably a far better instrument for experimentation, but I love to get a full on brass section with the tempest firing on all fours in the background. It would be like having Bill Laswell doing "Memory Serves" all over again! Cool Cool Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh what a fucking brilliant album!!!! Beefheart fans take note!!

Here's another; Square Dance;

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: