electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Wave Performance Tips
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
earsmack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:  Nord Wave Performance Tips Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just picked up a Nord Wave - what an amazing instrument. I've had a an NL2 and NL3 in the past and an Electro now so I was familiar with the brand.

Anyway - I've been really impressed with the breadth of sounds this thing can make - having loaded the 1024 bank available on Clavia's (Nord's) web site and playing with some of my own samples. I'm preparing for a gig in a few weeks and plan on using this. As I've been playing I've found some things that I thought might be helpful - performance tips - mainly designed to not cause auditory glitches, etc. during performance while being able to tweak the instrument. I thought I would share my findings and see if anyone else had any tips.

All of this comes from OS 2.0.2 and some of it may be in the manual (that I'm still studying)

ENABLING TUBE AMP
This is pretty obvious - On some sounds I want to fade in the tube amp effect during a build of a tune. The key to remember here is to set the knob to zero first and then turn it on and fade it in when needed. If the knob is not set to zero the effect will jump in more harshly.

MORPH SETTINGS
Sometimes during a performance you might decide you want to slowly tweak a parameter. Unfortunately you may not be able to do it by turning the knob without causing an audible glitch. Fortunately, double-tapping a morph button allows you to change the associated morph settings without actually changing the sound. Then, tap the morph button again to exit edit mode and now your morph settings are live using velocity, mod wheel, etc. This is a nice way to set up a morph while playing and then having it enable when your'e ready.

CURRENT KNOB VALUE
If you're unsure of the current value of a knob, simply hold down the SHIFT button and turn the knob to see the value without changing the sound. This can allow you to set the knob to a CLOSE value if you want to then tweak it live.

I'm sure there are more...please add to this thread...

Thanks to the folks who put this instrument together - really great stuff!
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nord Wave Performance Tips Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

earsmack wrote:
... and some of it may be in the manual (that I'm still studying) ...
Together with the fact you realize what you want to do in your music I'm sure you will find out many more! Keep the community informed. I make this a sticky so other users will find this thread more easily.

Wout
softroom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One tip I've found especially useful is to use the space on the Wave's panel for two Eventide stompboxes. They fit perfectly. Smile
earsmack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

softroom wrote:
One tip I've found especially useful is to use the space on the Wave's panel for two Eventide stompboxes. They fit perfectly. Smile

I've found the Elektron boxes also fit well there...one at a time, mind you. I put some "grippy pad" like you use in a car to keep a cell phone in place to protect the paint job on the Wave and keep the Elektron firmly in place.

...and thanks Wout...
fibreman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You CAN create splits provided you're using the samples on OSC 2 for both slots. Load sounds into wave manager, decide where your split is going to be and insert silent samples where you don't want a particular sound to trigger - you may need to experiment slightly as the Nord Wave sometimes doesn't like it! Hey presto, 3 violins and flute seperately, but at the same time!

This next one is not so much a performance tip but here goes...

Create your own mellotron sounds - record the sounds you want to mellotronise into a DAW, use a tape simulator to mess them up (the best one i've found is the Space Echo simulator in Guitar Rig 3 set with no delay but maximum warble, with some subtle EQ dialled in as it tends to overcook the mids a bit), then load the resulting wavs into wave manager and up they go. The point being the only preventative to infinite processing of sounds is that you'll only likely live for a maximum of 70-80 years. So spend as much of it as you can playing Nord Wave!
bbbodie

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Quick key change?
Subject description: How do you shift pitch up a whole tone during performance
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We're playing a gig late this month and I'm looking for tips on key change/pitch change during performance. I don't find a global parameter anywhere and that's a little disconcerting having used Korg, Roland and Yamaha and having all this readily available. I'm sure it's obvious, but a little help would be appreciated.

Ideas?

So we play in Bb, shift to C, then D, then E for the final verse...

Bodie

Logic 9, Cubase 5, Finale 2009
Moog Voyager, Phatty, Liberation, Taurus, Mini
Nord Wave, Electro2, G2X
Roland AX
DSI Polyevolver, Prophet 08
Arp 2600s & Odys
Studio 100m
Virus
over 40 FX pedals
http://electro-music.com/gallery2/main.php/v/BodieMax/
Wishlist: Kyma X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bbbodie

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found it in the System Menu 2nd option down...couldnt find it to save my life at practice last night
Logic 9, Cubase 5, Finale 2009
Moog Voyager, Phatty, Liberation, Taurus, Mini
Nord Wave, Electro2, G2X
Roland AX
DSI Polyevolver, Prophet 08
Arp 2600s & Odys
Studio 100m
Virus
over 40 FX pedals
http://electro-music.com/gallery2/main.php/v/BodieMax/
Wishlist: Kyma X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rnbw_six

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay an issue I have had with live situations is when switching programs it cuts the audio from the last program. It would be nice to hear that release sometimes wouldn't it? If you have two sounds that you have to switch abruptly between during a song try programming them in the same program and separate them into slots a for the first sound and b for the second.
I understand that some programs are multi-layered and this is not possible but if it is possible to get the sounds in slot a and b the switching will be fluid and play out that release or delay. A cut never sounds good.
Happy programming. Wink
fibreman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found one, don't know if this applies to any other Nord gear, BUT...

The greatest delay time on the Nord Wave matches up with 106bpm. If you select the greatest feedback (1 and 2 lit up) and stereo repeats (it just sounds better, trust me) and play along to a metronome, a click, a funky beat, whatever.

Once you have a nice little loop going, twist the time knob clockwise, then quickly back to it's original position, try and do it in rhythm, so beat 1 you go clockwise, beat 2 you return it back.

You will find that wherever there is an original portion of your loop left, it will still be completely in time with your click/metronome etc, in the meantime you have crazy glitchy possibilities! I've never known a delay work like that before!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any chance there will be an audio example?

Wout
fibreman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure can, will upload something tomorrow.
fibreman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://soundcloud.com/mrfibes/nord-wave-delay-test
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice effect!
Thanks.

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: