electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
JH Triple Chorus and various Stringers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: JH Triple Chorus and various Stringers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, been ages since I posted here last Wink

I've finally got round to building JH's Triple Chorus (better late than never, I suppose), and it got me thinking about various string machines, and I came up with the following, some of which surprised me, but enabled me to replicate them on my Nord G2:

The ARP Omni, doesn't use the standard 3 phase chorus, it's just 3 LFO's, slow, slightly faster and fast (unfortunately I can't find any info on the excact frequencies), each output feeding it's own delay. Example - David Bowie, Sound and Vision

The Elka Rhapsody (490 & 610) has 2 LFO's 0.6 and 6Hz, mixed and phase shifted once (not sure as to what degree the shift is), feeding only two delays. Example - Ultravox's Hiroshima Mon Amour & Cockney Rebel's Come up and See Me.

The Solina, Crumar (Performer/Orchestrator) and Yamaha's (SS30 & SK30 etc), all use the standard 3 phase chorus (as JH's), although Yamaha's SS30/SK30 use two top octave generators, one of which can be detuned for an even more dramatic sound. Example - Ultravox (again!) Astradyne & Magazine's Definitive Gaze.

The one that I can't figure out is the Ensemble effect on the Korg Poly 6... Any ideas?

I just thought it was interesting to know why these glorious string machines sound so different from each other Very Happy

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to JH's web site on the triple chorus:
Quote:
This method creates the famous "Solina" sound, which was so sucessfull that it has been emulated by other manufacturers.
Of these, I have studied two very closely: The Crumar Performer, and the Dr. Boehm Phasing Rotor 78. I've also taken a look at the Korg Polysix's Ensemble mode.

I.e., the Korg Polysix Ensemble mode IS a 3-phase oscillator like the later Solinas.

Again, from his site (the emphasized "if" in this quote is JH's):
Quote:
My conclusion is that if there is a perceivable difference in the sound of a Solina, compared to a Boehm or the Polysix (other than EQ-ing and SNR), this may have to do with these special modulation waveforms.
The Boehm, for instance, has a very direct and precise method of directly creating 3-phase signals.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and then there's #4 on this page: http://urekarm.tripod.com/synth/download.html

Not sure how close that is to the original but the notes seem to indicate it was derived from the real thing: two LFOs at fixed speeds going to 3 BBDs.

ndkent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was reading the manual for the Synthoma Elkorus hardware unit-
http://www.synthoma.net It does an analog emulation of the Solina and Rhapsody circuits so one can find some details on the latter.

I'm trying to decipher what's going on in the Roland Paraphonic (RS-505) which contains 3 quite different effects settings and no adjustments other than the choice of which one. It uses 4 SAD BBDs, mono in stereo out. "I" is something like one of the Dimension D modes, not really a string synth ensemble. "II" is a string synth type ensemble. "III" is a crazy stereo spaced out sound that's amazing in stereo but also a sort of take it or leave it effect due to no parameters.
danlind7109

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tried to do the Roland VP330 Ensemble on the Nord G2
but i do not know the exact LFO frequencys
But A-B testing it is quite simular... (?)
/Dan

Vp330 ensemble.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vp330 ensemble.pch2
 Filesize:  2.36 KB
 Downloaded:  3662 Time(s)

danlind7109

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only a test
NORD G2X VP330 strings in the end.

http://soundcloud.com/dan-lind/test-pcm70-apogeepsx

/Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: