electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> PHANToS presents: Ghouls & Ghosts (various EM Halloween performances from previous years)
  PHANToS presents: The Monstrous Modulator (Modulator ESP's 2010/2011 halloween performances mix)
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
ipad midi io
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: ipad midi io
Subject description: problems with ipad midi
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have now got so many music/synth apps and they seem to get better all the time BUT try as i might i haven't got midi working with my ipad
i have had some luck with wifi network but midi totally eludes me
any one else experience this or have some suggestions
so far i've tried 2 completely new line 6 midi mobilizers
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... no one else has a problem....

Try replacing your midi cables. Are your keyboards/controllers set to send midi? Is there any midi signal present before your cable meets the mobilizer?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as i said...

i tried 2 completely ne LINE6 mobilizers (therefore 2 new sets of cables)
but is didnt say...
ALL my other midi stuff works perfectly

As of now i have given up trying to get my ipad to be of any use in music production -
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 121
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been using my iPad 2 with MIDI without problems. I have found two methods that work reliably for me.

1. Software

DSMI WIFI MIDI + Ad-Hoc Networking

Load the DSMI app (http://dsmi.tobw.net/) on your host PC and then set up an ad-hoc network on and connect with your iPad.

2. Hardware

USB Camera Connection Kit + M-Audio UNO USB MIDI Cable

This is the most reliable setup I have found. It works with every App I had tried that does not rely on OSC exclusively for MIDI communication.

Hope this help you. I live what I can do on the iPad 2. It is not perfect, but it opens a lot of avenues for MIDI control. I cannot wait for what the next generation multi-touch interfaces will bring.

SugarRatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have had some success with wifi but its not too clever
I wonder if the camera connector kit will do what the LINE6 mobilizer cant
i'll give it a try
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 121
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The WIFI works great for me. Ad-hoc is the preferred method because the two devices connect directly. No latency added by going through the router.

FWIW. I found this to be the best interface for MIDI over the Camera Connection Kit (CCK):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-iPad-1-2-Digital-Camera-Connection-USB-Cable-/270828030877?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item3f0e9bcb9d

The others I tried would disconnect when the iPad was moved around too much. The locking connector and cable are much more reliable and cheap too.

DES

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which apps are you trying to use with the mobilizer? I thought I saw in some of the apps that you had to set the app for either the Core midi or Mobilizer midi. Some settings are accessed directly from teh app - others you need to go into the iPad settings icon - usually apps are down towards the bottom....
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i decided it must be the line 6 mobilizer meesing up the midi and forked out for an IPAD camera attatchment. Bingo the midi out worked perfectly and pretty solid too. however everything stops when i try to ext clock it ie send any midi in... trying to be glass half full about this one
DES

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are using EXT clock then you must have a hardware synth or computer app (whatever you are connected to) that is transmitting MIDI Clock. It's not just Midi notes. What are you connecting into? (hardware and apps)
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am using protools midi i use that to clock an electribe emx1, a doepfer maq 16/3 and an octatrack. i have a 4x4 midi box so am attempting to clock the ipad with the spare midi out.
ps thanks for taking the time to think about this one
pps i am using the genome sequencer
DES

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I assume that you have Genome set to receive external sync? I'll check tonight and see if I can get Genome to sync to external clock. I'll be using Reaper, but that shouldn't make a big difference. There could be issues with Genome as it's a pretty new app iirc.

I'm assuming that the three hardware pieces are all working in sync with Protools ok?

You might try swapping the ports around on teh midi interface just to make sure that all four are working ok.

WhiteNoiseAudio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

There is a known issue with logic / protools stuff since they work a little differently than other apps with regards to sync (they don't send a Sync Start message except in the beginning of the song). We are working on a fix for this and hope to get it into the next version.

Thanks!
-White Noise Audio Software
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh... great news. thanks for the info when is that update due out? i'm kinda looking forward to having another go with the genome
DES

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well there you go! Nothing better then the app developer jumping in!

Welcome to electro-music WhiteNoiseAudio!

Really like Genome....nice app.

WhiteNoiseAudio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile I can't say exactly when the next version might be released, but it could be another week or two. I'm working on getting it done as fast as I can, but there are a number of things I'm trying to get into this release. If you'd like to get in on the beta testing group to get access sooner, contact me thru the website (www.whitenoiseaudio.com) and I'll set you up. I'd love to have some more logic / protools people to test it out.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: