electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Cacophonator Strip Board
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
jean bender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, that's great deal.

i think that i'll try this design in other stuff.. Should be great for a APC or some Cd4**** designs.

Cheers Razz

www.electroncanon.org
anathema.den

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,

i think the layout for the cacophonator ii with input is no longer up at the original site. does anyone know how/where i would add an input to this schematic?
clairvib

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Cacophonator with Input Schematic?
Subject description: Cacophonator with Input Schematic is missing, but the general idea is...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The links to the cacophonator with input schematic posted earlier are now broken links... ...can anyone who has built one upload the schematic?

Based on the discussion above, the general idea is straight forward, but some details are missing.

The idea: An input signal is brought in through a 4049 hex buffer so its voltage is in the correct range, and also so that it can interact properly with the other oscillators - by coupling through the ground. The output from this 4049 needs to be summed with the oscillator signals, so it likely is added through a 10k resistor to the outputs of oscillators U1A, U1B, U1C, U1D (pins 2,4,6 & 8 ).

This new circuit with input substituted 15k ohm resistors for some of the 10k ohm resistors, for some reason.

This circuit also added four new on-off-on switches and had some doubled capacitor numbers. I.E. 3x C3, 2x C4, 2x C6 and 2x C11. The extra switches likely switch between different timing capacitors for some of the oscillators, and the off position of the switch likely stops some of the oscillators from oscillating.

If anyone can confirm if some of these educated guesses are correct, or even better - repost the schematic, that'd be great!

-Clair
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i suggested to a friend when he built one to add contact points (bolts), one connected to each end of each pot, and it turned out really cool and playable. just wanted to throw that out there. Wink
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

google is your friend
clairvib

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Google, I thought you were my friend!
Subject description: Not the right schematics

Oh, Google, I'd thought you were my friend!

Some of these images are titled Cacophonator 2, but none of them really are. Cacophonator 2 has an extra chip - a 4049 - which none of these schematics have.

Does anyone have a .jpg of this circuit they could kindly post?

-Clair
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the 4049 is just a buffer to square up an audio input. try building the buffer circuit (check out the datasheet) and then experiment with injecting the signal to different points in the circuit.
zabour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Cacophonator Gerber and Cacophonator 2
Subject description: I've created a Gerber file for the Cacophonator Circuit Layout!

I've created a Cacophonator board layout in DipTrace, and exported a Gerber file. This Gerber can be used to have circuit boards printed. The cheapest place I've found is ITead:

http://iteadstudio.com/store/forums.html?main_page=index&cPath=19_20

They will make TEN boards for $12 total, and charge only $4 for shipping. The total cost per board is $1.60!

Also, I'm also very interested in looking at the Cacophonator 2 schematic or board layout. If someone can post the .jpgs again, I will make the DipTrace and Gerber files and post them!

I think the file names are:

caco_ii_pcb2.jpg

and

caco_pcb_10.jpg

cacophonator_diptrace_layout.jpg
 Description:
Cacophonator Board Layout created and editable by DipTrace. Change the file extension to .dip to use.
 Filesize:  53.02 KB
 Viewed:  51468 Time(s)

cacophonator_diptrace_layout.jpg

cacophonator_gerber.jpg
 Description:
Cacophonator Gerber File - change the file extension to .gbr to use.
 Filesize:  9.58 KB
 Viewed:  51468 Time(s)

cacophonator_gerber.jpg

dylar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second the request for the cacophonator with input.
Also would be willing to try to build the buffer circuit and attach it - what does that entail? Is it just the IC?
PickNick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ello
i redraw the caco ii layout in Gimp.
i built it few months ago, and looks ok.
there is 4 jumpers/red,
and i modified some traces...
i didnt find 4049, so the input doesnt tested.
i think its 300dpi.
i hope you can use it.

caco_ii_pcb.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.74 KB
 Viewed:  733 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

caco_ii_pcb.png

caco_ii_pcb2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  521.85 KB
 Viewed:  739 Time(s)

caco_ii_pcb2.png

dylar

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just built a cacophonator, but it only makes noise when the large capacitor is discharging. Is that how it's supposed to work? It doesn't seem so from the videos I've watched.
dylar

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind my last post. The cacophonator works fine. I would still really like to build the input circuit if anyone has any more info on it - even the part values for the layout posted above would help.
thanks
synthesist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I didnt figure out how to make input mod yet, but one day I will...
One thing that turned out to be great, is to power the IC 40106 with the audio out of the atari punk console or a dual lfo or even both. Even a sequencer is fun. It works when you turn the starve pot about halfway.
The bitch- thing is that you can only feed it square or pulse waves. Maybe I find a circuit that amplifies an analog sound the apropriate way, so the cacophonator would accept it. I always get violent when using this 4049 4069 chips, so maybe there is a circuit that uses op amps.
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like i said earlier, just run the audio signal (prob through a .1uf cap) through a single buffer circuit (look at the data sheet) on a 4049 or a 4069 and then try inserting the output to different points of the circuit to see what results you get. I'd try the pot first.
dylar

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to try the 4049 circuit. But I'm not sure what you mean when you say to look at the data sheet. You mean look at the pinouts?

Is there a standard way to build a buffer circuit using the 4049?
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you'll see that the data sheet shows 6 of these ( l>o ) symbols. The input is the flat end and the point is the output. The circle at the point means it is an inverting buffer, so you'll have to run the signal through 2 buffers; like this...
IN --- l>0 -- l>0 --- Out

dylar

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent! Thank you!
I'll let you know how it goes.
screwloose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this thread is really old now, but I've been trying to figure out how to do the audio input for a long while. I finally found a schematic on famfest.info. this one also allows for CV.

Parts:

1 – resistors

R8, R10, R11, R12, R13, R14, R15, R16, R18, R19, R24 10K
R20, R21 100
R17 100K
R9 22
R1 1K
R2,R3 (Optional) R23 4,7K

2 –Ceramic Caps

C5, C10, C11 0,01uF
C14 0,1uF
C1, C6 2200pF
C12 12pF

2 – ICs

IC1 40106N
IC2 4049

3 – Electro Caps:
C2, C7 4,7uF
C3 ,C8, C9 22uF
C13 10uF
C4 2200uF

Pots
R5 10K
U$2, U$3, U$4, U$5, U$6, U$7, U$8, 1M

Esquema.png
 Description:
thanks to http://famfest.info/?p=1351
 Filesize:  118.77 KB
 Viewed:  1580 Time(s)

Esquema.png

tufty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks to everyone who's posted on this.

I've just made one of these up for my brother. Not sure if I'm going to send it to him though, it has way too much phase space to explore Smile

I built mine from the schematic posted by screwloose above, but I've patched the 5th oscillator into the output , with the same caps and resistors as oscillator 3 - this gives me a pair of drones (oscillators 1 & 2, and 3 & 5), one "voice" and an unpatched LFO.

I do have one minor problem, though. The signal input isn't working. I get "squared" signal at pin 2 of the 4049, but I suspect C13 is too "phat" - I have no signal on its negative pin. I'm tempted to swap it for a smallish non-electrolytic unless anyone thinks that's a really bad idea.

Oh, and to blu_lu, who smoked r10 - I did exactly the same when I breadboarded, turns out I had VDD and VSS switched on the 40106. Putting the right polarities in place made for a happy circuit, and r10 (well, r9 on screwloose's diagram) stays nice 'n cool.

Simon
KRS1972

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !!

Here is my Cacophonator I.
Fun project to do, generate some freaky sounds.
Have to finish my box with a back light.

Grt,
Chris

caco 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  2295 Time(s)

caco 1.JPG

caco 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB
 Viewed:  2359 Time(s)

caco 2.JPG

caco 3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  2341 Time(s)

caco 3.JPG

caco 4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Viewed:  2360 Time(s)

caco 4.JPG

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey that looks pretty cool! Is that a recycled sign? It has a certain Athletico Spizz look about it. Laughing
egasimus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

screwloose wrote:
I know this thread is really old now, but I've been trying to figure out how to do the audio input for a long while. I finally found a schematic on famfest.info. this one also allows for CV.

This looks interesting - is there any more info about it somewhere?
knutolai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is the function of the two schmitt triggers with the output going to ground via a resistor and capasitor? I have never seen this before
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it adds to the overall modulation... i'm not sure if it destabilizes the chip somehow, or adds some wiggle to the power rail... but if you take them out you can clearly hear a difference

knutolai wrote:
What is the function of the two schmitt triggers with the output going to ground via a resistor and capasitor? I have never seen this before
knutolai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cooool! I will have to add one of those to my next synth project. Another thing I found a bit weird: Why would the input be sent through one of the oscillators (pin Cool? Would this add some sort of amplitude modulation to the signal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 7 [159 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: