electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
MIDI Ctrl Send not working
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Carl Mikael Björk

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: MIDI Ctrl Send not working Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm building a control patch for my MidiBox SID (www.ucapps.de), but running into problems on the finish line...

I'm using a MIDI Control Send module to control an ADSR envelope in the SID. I'm doing this on several places in the patch and in most instances it works. I'm also using a control signal from the Status module to send all midi CCs to the SID on patch/variation change.

The problem is that I have a few modules (marked with bright yellow in Slot A/FX section for those who'd like to take a look) that refuse to send the midi CC when value knob is turned AND the control signal from Status is connected. When I disconnect the status signal all is well... But I really do need the complete CC send when changing patches/variations.

What to do?

I really would appreciate your experience and knowledge in this matter.

Cheers,
Mikael

Sid Control [Bug].prf2
 Description:
A buggy MidiBox SID controller. Help wanted!

Download
 Filename:  Sid Control [Bug].prf2
 Filesize:  19.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1051 Time(s)

buzz

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you need a master clock to send a signal to the midi controllers to get them to actually send the value out (like the 1/16th pulse).

I was working on a controller for a SidStation and ran into the same problems.

Hope this helps a little.

(i'm sure someone can post a better answer, but in case they don't...)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try to connect constant modules to the value (blue) inputs of the CC send modules. Turning the knob on te constant module should send out the changed value as a CC message, I've never seen that failing.

I'm not sure whether the value knobs on the CC send modules themselves will send CC data out, I never tried that (the manual though says they should send ...)

Jan.
Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... Thanks guys.

Most of the modules in the patch are working by just assigning a knob to the value parameter. Whenever it changes the CC is sent. And it does here as well - but these specific modules (for some unknown reason) won't send the CC when the control/logic signal from the status module is connected to the send input.

I actually did test to connect a constant module just to see if that would change anything - but no...

Might it be a bug? It is working in some parts of the patch, but these specific modules just won't work.

Any more ideas?

Regards,
Mikael

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is as if there is a limit on the number of CC sends, when I delete a bunch of sends the bright yellow ones will work. I never saw this documented somewhere.

I checked for duplicate CC numbers in hte patch but didn't find an, I'd ask Clavia about it (and maybe I will next week in Frankfurt, but I might forget).

Jan.
LLR3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
It is as if there is a limit on the number of CC sends, when I delete a bunch of sends the bright yellow ones will work. I never saw this documented somewhere.
Jan.

You are right, there is a limit to how many CCs can be sent. I can´t remember what the the maximum number is though. Someone should perhaps check it (I should be sleeping!). I wonder if the limit is the same for both internal and external destinations - I´ve only run tests with internal ones.

There´s also some sort of limit for internal "midi" bandwidth. As far as I can remember, it was a little bit different from real midi. Possibly there was a maximum number of CCs that would operate on a certain constant frequency and adding any more CC output modules (with internal destinations) would either (can´t remember which) lower the transmit frequency on all "virtual midi cables" or just on the ones exceeding the maximum number.

Perhaps we should run some tests and put together a "G2 by numbers" table for the FAQ. Such table would be very handy thinks me...

*LLR3
Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan for taking the time to load and check the patch!

LLR3 wrote:
You are right, there is a limit to how many CCs can be sent. I can´t remember what the the maximum number is though. Someone should perhaps check it (I should be sleeping!). I wonder if the limit is the same for both internal and external destinations - I´ve only run tests with internal ones.

But how can it be that the CCs are sent as soon as I disconnect the Send Input from the logic signal (from the Status-Patch/Variation)? If there was a limit to the number of midi sends - this wouldn't be the case. Would it?

Blue Hell wrote:
...I'd ask Clavia about it (and maybe I will next week in Frankfurt, but I might forget).

Would you, please? Smile

Thanks for helping me through this. Cheers,
Mikael

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have my G2 in front of me, will try this later, but it looks like this patch was created with 1.29beta? Have you tried the "official" 1.30 yet?
Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I don't have my G2 in front of me, will try this later, but it looks like this patch was created with 1.29beta? Have you tried the "official" 1.30 yet?

Nope... Sad It was created in 1.24 and finished (well, not quite Confused ) in 1.30.

More ideas?

Cheers,
Mikael

Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Friends,

I've run in to some other problems with this patch. Maybe it's my limited experience with this machine that gets me into trouble.

(I solved the midi cc send problem by dividing the patch among several slots - now everything works dandy!)

One problem, though... In slot D I get no voices although (voice mode=red) the load is only at VA:11,3 & 64,1; FX:55,3 & 43,7. Does anyone know what that is about?

Regards,
Mikael

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you have no expansion board fitted this can happen ... do you have it ?

Jan.
Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
When you have no expansion board fitted this can happen ... do you have it ?

I'm unexpanded! Sad

But I don't understand... What's the cause if it's not overloaded?

Cheers,
Mikael

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably it is overloaded, you are out of DSPs. In a best case total you can have 400 % DSP usage on an unexpanded G2, and it's possible to to go that far in only two patches.

Jan.
Carl Mikael Björk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan!

That might be the case then... Sad

I thought I could go to 100% in every single slot/area.

Cheers,
Mikael

sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a little test and it looks like there's a limit of 60 MidiCCs in a slot. Is there anyone who knows more about it?
A g2 by numbers in the FAQ would be great.

MIDI Test.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  MIDI Test.pch2
 Filesize:  9.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1020 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: