electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Creating a New Musical Style - your way
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ebb and flow

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
I don't really pay attention much to genres any more (although I must say that I find "Fidget House" very funny! in name only, mind you, I don't think I have heard any...) - I think these days, new genres are more the result of clever journalism or maybe something even more conspiratory, and I have no time for it all really.

On the other hand, creating something freshly original is always fun, and the only way I know how to do that is by attempting to express myself without any restriction laid upon myself, just letting the inner muse speak freely. It is in fact what I aspire to as an artist. Whatever happens after that is out of my hands.

very well put. i think to go into creating something with any sort of label tagged on it is making it wholly unoriginal or "new" just sit down and let that stuff come out. Smile

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Pecavi to electro-music.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I came up with something that was considered by some to be original: this Boolean Sequencer thing, only to later discover it had existed in simpler form for 40 years or more. Still, a reinvention is a form of invention. After all, if nobody ever reinvented the wheel we'd still be using wooden wheels!

About the ethos: I'd like more description of what it is.

Les

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ethos ( /ˈiːθɒs/ or /ˈiːθoʊs/) is a Greek word meaning "character" that is used to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, nation, or ideology

We love electronic sounds for their own sake. We make music only because we love to do it. We support each other, not compete with each other. We share our music freely, we are not in the music industry. We love to experiment for the fun of it. The shared experience is more important than the result. We accept any style as long as this ethos is embraced.

A style describes the way music is structured and the particular features that make it uniquely dentifiable. electro-music isn't a style...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To the extent that my attempt to imitate an existing style fails I create my own style. Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
    Ethos ( /ˈiːθɒs/ or /ˈiːθoʊs/) is a Greek word meaning "character" that is used to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, nation, or ideology

We love electronic sounds for their own sake. We make music only because we love to do it. We support each other, not compete with each other. We share our music freely, we are not in the music industry. We love to experiment for the fun of it. The shared experience is more important than the result. We accept any style as long as this ethos is embraced.

A style describes the way music is structured and the particular features that make it uniquely dentifiable. electro-music isn't a style...

Wow that is so cool Howard, you have captured the nature of our community with this concept. Maybe what you wrote above can eventually be worked into the front page.

Les

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, very nicely said Howard, that deserves to be on the front page. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: