electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Front panel sticker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
hway23

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Front panel sticker? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there such a thing as a printable transparent sticker I could use for my FP's? I can't seem to find anything like this.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front panel sticker? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hway23 wrote:
Is there such a thing as a printable transparent sticker I could use for my FP's? I can't seem to find anything like this.

Some people just use transparency paper, print in reverse, and then use spray on adhesive to secure the paper print-side down onto one's panel.

There also is a product called lazer-tran, and a great description online of how to use it in respect to fp (try googling lazertran diy synth). It's basically a water-slide decal, which can also be placed print side down and more/less baked onto alluminum for a screen-print look.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try google
A4 inkjet clear
or whatever paper size and printer to suit
(assuming you are using an inkjet printer)
here's an example
http://www.papilio.com/hewlett%20packard%20clear%20adhesive%20poly%20film.html

Check out zthee's panels in the 2009 build thread for successful use of lazertran (never worked for me)

I have done a lot of panels with clear stick-on labels printed with an inkjet. It is easy to rub off the ink, or if it gets wet the ink will smear. So it is prudent to place a protective layer of clear contact over the top.

Some of my panels are
here and a short description of the process
hway23

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
try google
A4 inkjet clear
or whatever paper size and printer to suit

Ah HA! Very Happy I knew it must exist.
I'm gonna buy a five pack off ebay.

Thanks!
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use self adhesive inkjet printable vinyl. Got a batch from ebay and works quite well.

Take a look at my bytes2bits link in my sig - used the vinyl on my Modessey modular.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
creatorlars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I use self adhesive inkjet printable vinyl. Got a batch from ebay and works quite well.

Very cool!! Can you comment on what brand/finish you used? Do you have any close-up pictures?
hway23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AndyR1960 wrote:

Take a look at my bytes2bits link in my sig - used the vinyl on my Modessey modular.

Very cool indeed! I like the 2600 influence.

Btw, does coloring the whole panel work out well? Or should I just leave it clear?
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea what brand the vinyl is - just generic I suppose. Look up Vendettasupplies (ebay shop), that's what I use.

You need to print using a water based pigment - I use my trusty Epson D88 with DuraBrite ink. Set preferences as plain paper and normal (not high) photo output.

The vinyl is white, so you can print whatever colours you want - I've only found one problem, and that's air bubbles getting trapped when the label is applied.

Andy

Vinyl Print.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  331.8 KB
 Viewed:  319 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Vinyl Print.jpg

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
creatorlars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered ten sheets. Pretty cheap! I have several projects I want to finish and don't have time to silkscreen. Any tips on keeping the airbubbles out?
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy, do you use the magic vinyl application method, i use 3mm aluminium road sign (off cuts) , put some cold water into the sink add a small bit of washing up liquid and soapy sponge the sticky side of the vinyl, de-activating the adhesive for as long as its wet, once alligned use a rubber wheel ( old couch castor) to take out big bubbles then left over night to stick, .

still a few micro bubbles on my fatman reworking but ya have to squint close......

David

fatman construction.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.65 KB
 Viewed:  277 Time(s)

fatman construction.JPG

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This stuff sorta works

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?fkey=YKDnpa53IL__KFQMP9gDIuT&Ntt=212881

I can't find it but I know they have "adhesive" clear window decal and not just static cling paper. It's a few bucks more. The last time I went to Office Depot the only kind they had was static cling. It doesn't stick to the aluminum too well. I'm sure plexi-glass work better. I wouldn't use it for anything professional though...

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody try Lazertran foil? It looks interesting. Problem is that it is featured on their web site, but it's not available from their store. It seems to be a Europe-only thing, for whatever reason.
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front panel sticker? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hway23 wrote:

I blogged a summary of using a Brother P-Touch label maker for front-panels here.http://buzzville.typepad.com/oldmanfury/
Feifer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, has anyone tried this product?

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/product.php?productid=17532&cat=256&page=1

It looks kind of like the lazertran stuff but it can actually be used with a laser printer instead of an inkjet. Also, how durable is it?
corex

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CJ Miller wrote:
Anybody try Lazertran foil?

There was a Lazertran thread on Muff's recently:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-20879.html&highlight=
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry to bring up an old post, i was wandering about this matter and bought the waterslide decals, i found out by mistake a material called Lazertran?
what is the difference between the waterslide decals and the Lazertran?
if there are any..

i see here that you can put the Lazertran in the oven?
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-20879-0-0.html

cheers

Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've since stopped using the printable Vinyl... Over time, the black fades to a messy brown colour Rolling Eyes

I now do my panels by colour laser print then encapsulation - great results, tough finish and I can get prints up to A2... BIG panels Very Happy

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
isak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your reply.

May I ask on what matirial you print on?

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do mean/how do you do the encapsulation with the laser printed graphics? Sounds like it might be what 'm looking to do...
Broadwave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Adobe Illustrator for the artwork, then take the file to my local copy shop where they print onto standard laser paper. They then encapsulate the paper (laminate it on both sides with plastic).

I then roughly cut around each printed panel, punch holes where required, then use double sided tape to fix the graphic to the pre-drilled alu panel and finally trim the graphic.

Pics below : )

Pics are in reverse order Rolling Eyes

Panel05.JPG
 Description:
Done
 Filesize:  199.6 KB
 Viewed:  181 Time(s)

Panel05.JPG

Panel04.JPG
 Description:
Trim the edges
 Filesize:  207.55 KB
 Viewed:  140 Time(s)

Panel04.JPG

Panel03.JPG
 Description:
Attach graphic with DS tape
 Filesize:  182.18 KB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

Panel03.JPG

Panel02.JPG
 Description:
Laser print & Alu panel
 Filesize:  198.77 KB
 Viewed:  141 Time(s)

Panel02.JPG

Panel01.JPG
 Description:
Laminated Laser print - holes punched
 Filesize:  288.72 KB
 Viewed:  161 Time(s)

Panel01.JPG

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
isak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Andy.
The panels is looking great, the only problem I have with laminate that it's shiny.

Broadwave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can get Matte lamination, but in my case the black didn't look as deep. The gloss finish isn't so bad Smile

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
isak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really!?!?!? Shocked
I thought it comes only as glossy Embarassed
I will look for that for sure!
Hows the adobe illustrator? Is it easy (friendly) to work with?

Thank you Andy Smile

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really nice Andy! Have you tried using the laminate 'clear' over the panel with just text and such? I have some textured aluminum that looks nice but I need to put text and such on it.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you use to punch holes that big? The hole punches I'm familiar with only do the size needed for ring binders.

That's a pretty nifty technique, I will have to try it. I have a cool-process laminator that doesn't get a lot of use.

Do you just use the single piece of double sided? I know that the pots and things will help hold the piece in place, but I'd worry about floppy edges....
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: