electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
9v to 15v DC step up convertor
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: 9v to 15v DC step up convertor
Subject description: Tr 606 style
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Evening folks,

I'm working on a synth project that needs a 15vdc (positive only) supply from a 9vdc input. The tr 606 uses such a technique but the MC102c was (I believe) a custom model for Roland and goes for £49 on eBay these days.

Linear technologies and a host of other suppliers have a plethora of such chips but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for synth use at all?

Cheers,

Bod
johncronan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally, nothing fills me with dread more than the prospect of switch mode power supply design. I've always stuck with linear, mostly because I fear (perhaps irrationally) what the EMI might do to my circuit.

Since you have no choice, my advice would be to buy something ready made. Maybe this (but it depends on how much power you need):

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VWRBS2-D12-S15-SIP/102-1512-ND/1558907

Otherwise... someone on synth-diy recently recommended the Simple Switcher line, so that's something. I would probably go with the adjustable version of the LM2585.

Hope that helps! -John
bod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks John, I'll have a look through them. To be honest I agree, I prefer linear supplies too. But whilst discussing how ridiculously expensive some old analogue gear has become, I have taken up the challenge set by a friend to build a clone 606 for under £100! Laughing

There's no way I can do the sequencer for that price as well so it's just going to be midi and externally trigger-able. The psu is the problem, these up convertors can be expensive, but then 15vdc wall wart psu's are less common than 9 or 12v, and just as expensive or more so.

More research required I think! Wink
stewpye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd probably either use a 15VDC Meanwell switchmode plugpack, or an 18V plugpack with a 15 volt linear regulator if you're worried about noise.

Regards,
Stewart.
johncronan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was assuming as part of the question that it needs to be from a 9 V DC input for some reason.

But otherwise, yeah, listen to Stewart!
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a recent discussion at DIYSB about the LT1054, PRR pointed to this DC-DC converter circuit...
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/799

Looks like you can find similar circuits on ebay for even less money.

Could probably DIY too, if you know what makes it (not) tick. Wink

~ Charlie

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: