electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Antimon Antimon's Half Year Report
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Help me troubleshoot my first stripboard layout
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Groverradagast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Help me troubleshoot my first stripboard layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys,

Please be gentle, this is not only my first post on EM, but it's also my first attempt at a stripboard layout. I ran across Eric Archer's "sound cameras" http://ericarcher.net/devices/sound-cameras/ and had to build one. I then found this circuit diagram:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I built it on a breadboard and it worked wonderfully. The only change I made was to replace R1 with a fixed resistor. Then I drew this up in Illustrator and built it. My goal was to make it as compact as possible, as it's mounted in a small box. I could have made it easier to read by making it larger, but didn't...Forgive me if it's messy, as this is my first layout. To make it simpler to read, any wires/jumpers that connect to ground are green. Also I didn't bother labeling the components, since I already knew they worked when I tested it. The yellow blob is the ceramic capacitor (47nF). Just assume that the correct resistors are in the right places, and remember R1 is now just a resistor.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

When I turn it on I get a strange descending self-oscillation that sounds like letting the air out of a balloon...I have quadruple checked for bad connections, solder bridges, and errors and can't find any between my layout and my actual board. So my conclusion is that I have made some kind of error in translating the circuit diagram into a layout. I've looked it over many times now but I need some fresh eyes.

So here's my question: Would someone be willing to check my layout for errors?

And here's the reward: If I get it working I'll go record some interesting things and post the resulting audio.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
PHOBoS

Audio files: 332

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me troubleshoot my first stripboard layout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

Groverradagast wrote:
And here's the reward: If I get it working I'll go record some interesting things and post the resulting audio.

ok,. I just started looking at it and the first thing I noticed is that pin6 of the LM386 doesn't seem to be connected.
It is in the right place though so maybe you have connected the traces but didn't draw it.

edit: nevermind I see it's normal stripboard I thought the white lines where cuts.

ok let's see if I can find something else,.. Shocked
nope, the layout looks fine to me. Could be that one of the chips is dead, but they worked on breadboard, so unless you soldered
them directly on to the board it's highly unlikely, and even then chances are very small.

things to check:
orientation of components (BPW34, capacitors and IC's)
measure the voltage on the battery with and without the circuit connected (hope you have a multimeter or something else, oscilloscope would be great)
measure the voltage on the powerpins of both IC's (4-8 for U1, 4-6 for U2)
measure connections between the components. (even when solder connections look good with the naked eye they sometimes aren't)
measure for shorts
You could test if the amplifier section is working by connecting an audio signal to the potentiometer instead of the output of the LM358.

Even if you've done some of these things,.it never hurts to go over things a couple of times, the one thing you can be certain of
is that there is something wrong, Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Groverradagast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply PHOBoS!

It might be a few days before I get the chance to try it, but I really like the idea of attaching an audio source to the second half of the circuit! That would at least rule out that portion of the circuit as the culprit.

I'll update if I learn anything or (fingers crossed) get it working.

Cheers
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: