electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
eChucK Reborn!
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great project Les, I hope it's a big success.

I'm a big believer in the header pin way of doing things, the overall synth gets to stay as small as you need it to be and you still get to have loads of modules on the board.

Are you going to solder all of that SMD stuff? Brave man you are.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
Are you going to solder all of that SMD stuff? Brave man you are.

Hehe, thanks. Just gotta get into the right mindset. Clean desk, good tools nearby, well rested, etc... I can do it.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added a news page to keep everyone up to date on the progress of emSynth. You can read it and look at all the pretty pictures here:

http://electro-music.com/emsynth/News.html

which has a link on the front page in the third paragraph, just look for "News".

Les

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

That picture says it all for me. Good work!

noise
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TY, tjookum! Got the Mouser parts order today! put everything away in drawers, read about the alpha pots in the News page at www.emsynth.com !

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awaiting tools shipment from Jameco tonight. Will get started soldering this evening.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Assembled the first test circuit today and it worked! Just an audio tone from an oscillator and a stereo out module, the simplest possible emSynth circuit and it works! yay!

Les

Test Circuit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.95 KB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Test Circuit.jpg

tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking good les! Can't wait to see some more modules working together.
noise
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great to see the progress!

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: there has been no progress because I have gotten immersed in virtual worlds. One thing I have noticed is that it takes me far longer than I'd like to assemble these boards. I plan to improve that by setting up an assembly line process. Hopefully I can get to this tomorrow.

Actually on a personal note I'm totally out of cash for the remaining two
weeks of the month, so I better get to making some boards to get some revenue, eh? Smile

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last night I spent the late evening building the rest of the oscillator boards and the two ring oscillator boards. I hooked up three oscillators, two ring mods, and the stereo out board and made some groovy sounds. I'll play it on my show this weekend.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today I made my first synth. It sounds kind of coarse and square-wavey naturally, so I ran it through ChucK to beautify it, and now I have something for the Fall Equinox performance next weekend (if they ever get it together). Cool!

Les

First Synth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.48 KB
 Viewed:  220 Time(s)

First Synth.jpg

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I resoldered some resistors now that my skills are returning and the Sine Wave Thing board started working. It now makes some interesting sounds that are not at all square-wavey. This Friday's Les Hall Show on em radio will feature this synth in action, so be sure to give it a listen!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a photo of the synth in it's present form. Note solar power which allows me to starve the circuit, providing a variety of interesting sounds.

Les

Me with First Synth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.95 KB
 Viewed:  205 Time(s)

Me with First Synth.jpg

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good so far Very Happy and you look a bit healthier than in the last photo I saw Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like the solar starve.

Dont get your virtual worlds mixed up with the real ones, this project really deserves some more attention. Perhaps a good video showing how incredibly usefull these modules can be will spice things up a bit?

I've been terribly busy so I still havent finished my module but when you start making more boards the interest will surely pick up and Ill get it done.

noise
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emSynth is stalled on the tracks for now. It's out of fuel and the chuck wagon is bringing some more coal to get it to the next station. In other words, i just received some chips so i can make some more modules but all in all I've decided that I can't manufacture these things. I gotta go with one of these chinese companies offering DIY board and assembly services, which means I need to save up $500 or so for the next batch. I'll get back on track soon, sorry for all the delays.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dayang that was last October and now it is April soon to be May! Well I ran into Matrixsynth on facebook and told him i had some old but unannounced news about emSynth, which is the stuff ending last October about the second generation of emSynth. Wouldn't you know it he ran a story and that dang thing went viral throughout the synthesizer communty. It got mentioned on nearly every synth site and has a thread at muff's now.

So i joined muff's and have been asking questions in preparation for the third generation of emSynth which will be an initial production run. The main question right now is whether to make a single arduino-based emSynth or do it the romantic way with all the customized chips and stuff. I think the latter will win but I need to hear the will of the people. Your take on this?

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just gave the go ahead to have the first 200 boards fabricated. emSynth boards should be available soon.

Les

1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, Looks great!!
etc.
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: