electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
  Twyndyllyngs Special Monday edition of Chez Mosc
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Voltages regulators on Yusynth VCO?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Voltages regulators on Yusynth VCO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to build the Yusynth VCO but always like to get a good grasp of the theory of operation first. I'm struggling to understand the role of the 78L15 and 79L15 voltage regulators. Normally you need about 3 volts or more above regulation voltage (i.e 18v or more) for these to work, but here they seem to be used to provide a stable voltage for the VCO core from a +/-15v supply. scratch

I've read in an earlier thread that the +vcc and -vcc voltages are around 14.2volts, which seems to be a similar drop to using a diode? Does the vcc voltages not just mirror any dips in the 15V supply but 0.8v or so lower? How does this actually help?

Any explanation of how this stabilizes the VCO core voltage against fluctuations in supply voltage would be most helpful!

Thanks!
Allan
yusynth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just quote what is written on the yusynth VCO page :
Quote:
DESIGN NOTE :

I have received a lot of emails concerning the voltage regulators used in the circuit. Here is an explaination for the reason why they are there.

FAQs :
Are these two regulators useful here considering I am already using a regulated +/-15V ?
Considering that the 78L15 and 79L15 require an overhead of 3V to give the right voltage why are these for in this circuit ? Could not one just suppress them ?
The answer to these two questions is :
The aim of using these regulators is not to provide +15V and -15V as one would think first. As a matter of fact, because of the lack of voltage overhead and the low current draw they will rather deliver something like 14.2V and -14.2V. This is not a design error but was done on purpose : they are here to isolate the power supply circuit of the VCO core from the general power supply while providing a reference voltage of +/-14.2V. This helps very much in increasing the stability of the VCO.
As such, all the circuit of the VCO core was designed considering the voltage drop through the regulators, and it is a very important point. As such, if one would like to remove/bypass these regulators, one would need to recalculate many resistor values of the VCO core to have it working as expected.

In conclusion, they are there for a good reason Wink

2thick4uni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent, thanks Yves Very Happy

Now I have to work out how I read the VCO page and missed this! Embarassed

Allan
PHOBoS

Audio files: 346

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltages regulators on Yusynth VCO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that doesn't really answer your question though:
2thick4uni wrote:
I've read in an earlier thread that the +vcc and -vcc voltages are around 14.2volts, which seems to be a similar drop to using a diode? Does the vcc voltages not just mirror any dips in the 15V supply but 0.8v or so lower? How does this actually help?

Any explanation of how this stabilizes the VCO core voltage against fluctuations in supply voltage would be most helpful!

I can see how it isolates the power but I think it's only as stable as your 15V supply is and would fluctuate just as much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: