electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
The NEURON VS VST for Intel Macs only
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: The NEURON VS VST for Intel Macs only Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.neuronsynth.com/NeuronSynth/NeuronVS_Project.html
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grabbed this last night and got it working via the recommended Audio HiJack app. I didn't play yet though as I've not found the time to hook everything up and get lost in sound.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got this working (as much as I could get it to work without the <nuke> interface, that is). It is a bit CPU heavy, which is puzzling because when it was written I think CPUs had even less power, but probably that's just the inefficiencies of OSX at play. Pretty neat to use with the Eigenharp.

I've followed this particular area for many years as I own a Neuron keyboard. It's nice to see some movement again.

Home,My Studio,and another view
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've not had much time to use this virtual synth yet but the error message is superfluous from what I read on other forums; I'm nothing like experienced and only basing this comment on my ill knowledge and forum guff...

The controller just uses knobs and joysticks to send cc data, so far as I know. Surely it's just a case of marrying the correct CC values up and assigning them?

As to the inefficiencies of OSX - am I correct in thinking that this software was never written to work on the modern X and Cocoa frameworks of post 10.4 OS?

All that aside - dying to get hands on with this beast...

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
I've not had much time to use this virtual synth yet but the error message is superfluous from what I read on other forums; I'm nothing like experienced and only basing this comment on my ill knowledge and forum guff...

The controller just uses knobs and joysticks to send cc data, so far as I know. Surely it's just a case of marrying the correct CC values up and assigning them?

No, my understanding is that the USB driver for the <nuke> is not continuous control midi data. Stefan Bernsee has discussed this somewhere.

Quote:

As to the inefficiencies of OSX - am I correct in thinking that this software was never written to work on the modern X and Cocoa frameworks of post 10.4 OS?

All that aside - dying to get hands on with this beast...

No, the problem was that there was no build for Intel. You can still run the original VST if you're on a power pc.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judging by the performance on my quad-core i5 Mac, I'd hate to attempt running it on any Gx PPC models lol!

read a thread on the KVR forum that someone was attempting to catch the messages the nuke sends and either emulate or otherwise replicate that data-flow by any means possible; good luck to them lol

clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judging by the performance on my quad-core i5 Mac, I'd hate to attempt running it on any Gx PPC models lol!

read a thread on the KVR forum that someone was attempting to catch the messages the nuke sends and either emulate or otherwise replicate that data-flow by any means possible; good luck to them lol

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed. I wish the developer would just convert the thing to allow CC messages to control the joysticks, but I can understand why not.

It used to run ok apparently on the older macs. I was a bit surprised at the CPU usage on my 2009 Macbook Pro. But then again, Intel doesn't do some things as efficiently as the PowerPC chips did. It's still worth checking out.

BigShort

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've a mac mini 2,6 Ghz Intel Core i7 and OSX 10.8.4.
After trying it with the recommend Plogue Bidule 0.9370 it works quite well like EdisonRex described.

But when i came to the point to record some nice sounds i tried it with Ableton Live 9.
After wrapping the Neuron Version 1.56 Update with FXPansion VST to AU Adapter v2.0 i got a very well sounding and working AU for Live 9. The "No Nuke" message was gone and i could change many parameters with my mouse. In the Instrument Device View i could drive mith my mouse through many of two Resys parameters simultaneous and i can control 32 Resys Parameters in the Device View with CC from my Nord Modular G2.

But till now i had no success using any of the CC Messages they are written in the manual page 181 to control the Neuron from my Nord Modular G2.

Maybe i'm too stupid and some help would be necessary Wink
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is the problem I have, although looking closer at it I am probably not mapping the CC messages into the VST correctly. It looks like the scape parameters are all mappable so I will try that too.

G2 should be able to do this - make sure it is not set to global I think. Maybe ask Wout (who probably doesn't see this thread).

BigShort

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

because of some long midi lags between my midisport 2x2 and Live 9 i tried successfull the combi Plogue Bidule 0.9730 (Master) & Live 9 in rewire mode. Till now this is the best solution sounding very well and without midi lag. In Plogue the presets of the neuron are CC able. On the Remote Page of the neuron are many params controllable with mod wheel and others + CC 03.
Now i've fun with the free plug. But if you have an iPad with Lemur you can control neuron similar like with the Nuke Stick.
For making own sound models i use Live 9 recording the output of Bidule and the ModelMaker of Neuron (only works for me on Windows 7)
BigShort

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

today i made a test in global mode - it works Smile
clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You've managed to emulate the Nuke controller with Lemur?
BigShort

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
You've managed to emulate the Nuke controller with Lemur?

not by myself, but by others. On this special place for the best information and help founded from Stephan Bernsee the developer of the Origin Hardware Neuron.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/285585009322/

Here a video about neuron with lemur:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8NTXzhytc
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: