electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Cabinets / Enclosures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SineHacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Cabinets / Enclosures Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys and gals

I just want to put a question out there to hopefully get some ideas...

I'm in a bit of a predicament, I'm doing a contact mic workshop at a festival soon and I was going to build a bunch of mini battery powered amplifiers for it - I was going to build them this month in a fabrication workshop at the local uni (I studied there and they used to let me come in) but both the techs left their jobs recently and the workshop is closed indefinitely.

I have all the parts to build these amps except for a way of housing them - I am using recycled hi fi speakers of different shapes and sizes, they all have their own "character" so I'm not worried about going into detail with acoustic design or anything - I just need tips on building or collecting boxes!!

My girlfriend doesn't want me doing woodwork at home or doing anything that is going to produce a lot of dust so I am kinda limited in options at home, however their is a hackspace nearby (short train journey away) that is kitted out to do some slightly more labor intensive stuff

I want to make around about 12 amps - I can budget about £100 to make the lot

Can you give me any tips or ideas on how I can do this - I have just over a month!

Gracias!!

transponderfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plastic boxes made for storing food are nice to work with and rather cheap.
Drilling holes for jacks, power-switch and pots is effortless. The components can easily be attached with a bit of hot-glue. Plus: you do not have to worry about a battery compartment, these boxes are made for being opened and closed a 1000 times.
I have done this a few times with LM386 amps, my favorite one is an old CD-storage with a computer-speaker. It even looks good.

For larger speakers (mid/bass) I would stay away from building wooden enclosures: 12 times cutting 6 squares/rectangles, drilling holes, possibly countersinking/routing for jacks, glueing - oooooooh... and you do not even have a battery compartment. (and haven't soldered the amps yet)

I would test the speakers, dump the broken ones and build the amps in separate plastic enclosures. Then be creative decorating a model piece: I love fur imitate, it looks good (and kind of evil Twisted Evil ) is cheap and can be easily attached.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

transponderfish wrote:
Plastic boxes made for storing food are nice to work with and rather cheap.
Drilling holes for jacks, power-switch and pots is effortless.

I would recommend using a step bit for any really rigid plastic (soft rubbermaid is fine without, but the really hard clear stuff will crack easily).

I've picked up small wooden boxes (also pretty easy to work with) at thrift stores.
SineHacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies guys, I started working with these mini suitcases made from banana wood, turned out ok, the wood is a little too soft if anything but it is quite nice for the sound - my drill nearly destroyed it with the larger 8mm holes though, slightly worried about that

Pic:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

what thinkee

elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks cool. A step bit might help with the softer wood too Smile Less of a shock for the material you're drilling (which is why they help keep from cracking hard plastic).
SineHacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, thanks! I will check the local hardware store when I get a chance Wink
beep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should try plastic vhs cases.
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buy a big sheet of 1/2" (12mm) ply, some small batons and get chopping Very Happy unless you want to go the hardwood route and make some nice easy box joints.

I would offer my services but am soooo bogged down with stuff at the moment I cannot. give me a shout if you are looking for anything in the future though ( I mostly use hardwoods for making boxes ).
cheers

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i thought you were the phantom kitchen spammer for a moment then Laughing
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
buy a big sheet of 1/2" (12mm) ply, some small batons

Clearly this is one of those cases where Australian English and American English aren't quite the same. What are "small batons" ?

I associate a baton with the roughly 3 foot metal stick with rubber ends that a drum major or majorette (someone leading a parade) tosses around.
gdavis

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
bubzy wrote:
buy a big sheet of 1/2" (12mm) ply, some small batons

Clearly this is one of those cases where Australian English and American English aren't quite the same. What are "small batons" ?

I associate a baton with the roughly 3 foot metal stick with rubber ends that a drum major or majorette (someone leading a parade) tosses around.

You mean you don't like to march around your garage twirling some batons after completing a nice cabinet?

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oho! its batten. Very Happy
SineHacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't really do too much woodwork at home, or anything that produces much dust... without getting in trouble with my girlfriend anyway...

got some more amps done the other day:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: