electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4051 woes!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
billsship

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: 4051 woes! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, I'm trying to get this dang 4051 chip to manage voltages but it keeps acting like its on the fritz.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I have three momentary buttons hooked up from +9v to the A, B, and C control inputs. INHIBIT, -V, and GND pins are all tied to GND. For testing, I have a square wave from a 40106 running into channel 1. Based on the logic table (http://www.cmos4000.com/cmos/4051.html), channel 1 should be routed to the output pin when the A input is high, and B and C are low. But this isn't happening. The square wave just cuts in and out randomly, changes timbre, and cuts out for a few seconds if any of the buttons are touched.

Am I understanding the 4051 correctly? 7 individual analog signals are selected by a combination of 3 selection pins, and routed to a single output pin. Any idea what the heck is happening? Am I missing diodes? I should mention, I have about 6 months of on-off electronics experience (semi-noob). I've successfully built 40106/4093 oscillators and a few kits.

My goal is to incorporate this into my Eurorack modular to make some interesting "random" sequences. Thanks for your help and input! Smile

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try adding a 10k resistor to ground on the A, B and C pins. This will ensure that they stay at 0v until you set them high.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make sure inhibit and vee are connected to ground aswell.

for some real fun feed the control inputs with audio frequency square waves and the channels with LFOs (sub-audio frequencies).

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
billsship

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's working! I was missing those resistors and a 10uF capacitor on the output.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of the hard work and time you experts spend with us beginners. respect Respekt!

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome. I figure I have lots of help hours to make up on this forum for all the times that others have helped me Smile
billsship

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all - I wanted to report back after making this thread last September. After many Lunetta doodles and breadboarding failures, I finally got a the 4051 / 40106 combination to work! My previous post was shortlived, it actually didn't work. THANK YOU to all the knowledge everyone brings to the website. beer

You can see a clip on my Vine account.
https://vine.co/v/MWE1qxpW5j5

I'm looking forward to making a 4051 multiplexer synth box for my car during long road trips. Not for me, for the passenger!

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: