electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Kevin Haller has passed away...
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Kevin Haller has passed away... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin Haller
It is with great sadness that I relate here that Kevin Haller passed away on Monday, suddenly while he was at work. He was 51; only 51.

Kevin has been an active member of electro-music.com for many years under the username, KillerHaven. He attended many of the electro-music events in Atlanta, Asheville, and Kansas City and frequently participated on the electro-music.com radio live streaming events. He often performed with his lovely wife, Barbara. Kevin's most recent contribution was as the organizer of the 2013 September Equniox live streaming event on electro-music radio.

Some of Kevin's music is posted here:

http://electro-music.com/mp3media.php?forums=&owner=KillerHaven

His music has originality and is deeply sensitive. He has a very well developed sense of form and structure that is reminiscent of classical music, but he said he had no formal instruction.

Kevin was a great friend to many of us here. He was always supportive of other musicians, providing heart-felt encouragement. He was unselfish with praise and appreciation. On a personal note, Kevin and Barbara listened often to our streaming radio program, Chez Mosc. Bill and I felt his presence every time we performed.

This is a devastating personal loss to many of us, and to the entire electro-music.community. May we all honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to be as warm and loving as he was.

Our heart-felt condolences go out to Barbara and Kevin's family.

Last edited by mosc on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sad and shocked to hear about this, he was a star.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only a couple of days ago Kevin made two contributions for the album in a day project. And a couple of days earlier he organized an event here.

It is hard to understand he is no longer with us, this is very sad news.

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i didnt know kevin very well, but he was always friendly in the chat room and i really like his music.
sad to lose an active and productive member of this "family" here.

heartfelt condolences to the family.

Richard.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Only a couple of days ago Kevin made two contributions for the album in a day project. And a couple of days earlier he organized an event here.

I listened to the album Monday and yesterday at work and was so looking forward to talking with Kevin about his contributions--especially the one with the shifting meters. Was also looking forward to finally meeting him at EM-2014. In chat, he said he was planning to make it to that milestone festival.

We had many conversations in chat over the past few years--he always doing great, interesting, and worthwhile music--from KLove, renditions of classics, thought provoking and feeling evoking original compositions, and on and and on.

I kidded him about just leaving chat without his allowing people time to say goodnight. He didn't seem to like long good byes.

nite kh

Last edited by MusicMan11712 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my…

And he was only 51 years old!!!... much too soon… what a tragedy…

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Kevin.

Varice
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I listen to Jez play AIS dedicated to Kevin, I find myself filled... no, overwhelmed by warm feelings as I recall our times together. We first met at Different Skies. We spent many hours together on stage making music, in the cafeteria sharing meals (and croissants!), on top of the Vaults enjoying the southwestern sunsets...

We continued our time together at various events; City Skies in Decatur and electro-music in Asheville, and virtually during nearly every Chez Mosc.

Kevin is a great personal loss I feel deeply. Barbara, you're in my prayers.

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin was a lovely man and a great musician

I have very fond memories of the times we spent together in Atlanta when I first made it across to the USA in 2009

I'm really sad we never got to meet up again, it was going to be this year, then when that didn't pan out I was hoping for next year, but now it will be never Sad

but at least I still have the memories and they will always make me smile Smile

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin and I met in Atlanta at the City Skies festival some years ago and have bumped into each other along the way at many other festivals since. Kevin was a rare soul. Passionate about music, to the point that it was contagious. I always admired his minimal stage footprint, and how much mileage he got from so little. I can't ever recall not seeing Kevin with a smile and deep in discussion with others. He was an amazing man and very talented musician. He was always complimentary and supportive, and for that I always appreciated and admired.

I can say without hesitation that he lived for music, as well as for his wife Barbara, as they often accompanied one another to the festivals and often performed live together.

My condolences to his wife, and to his many friends on this forum.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
dburgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm speechless. I knew Kevin from many an evening in the StillStream chat, and met him and Barbara in Kansas City for an E-M festival there. I still remember their spellbinding performance showing videos from Vermillion, South Dakota. He's still the only other person I've ever met who lived there.

He was a super kind and warm person, and greatly talented. My condolences and positive thoughts to Barbara and to the rest of his family.
hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad, sad news ... And way too young ... Rest in peace, Kevin ...
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spent much of yesterday in shock, before the grief stage set in. I am finally at a point where I can write something, barely.

Kevin was a dear friend, a talented composer and performer, and an enthusiastic supporter of Creative Commons and alternative and experimental electronic and electro-acoustic music.

He touched so many lives here and on Stillstream - through his performances, his recordings, his many, many compositions and his participation in chat and in person. Typical of Kevin, his reaction to my telling him how much I adored one of his pieces (Vermilion), he invited me to perform it with him and Barbara at EM Asheville this past May.

I shall miss him greatly, but his music will remind me of him constantly, and his memory will stay alive within me.

Home,My Studio,and another view
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's so amazingly sad to have someone ... just ... gone. 51 is far too young. I am thankful that it appears to have been somewhat sudden and not a long protracted death. I will miss Kevin. David Herpich's wonderful writing on Facebook got me... wow.

As with here on electro-music - we have him featured on rM.

front page today:
http://relaxedmachinery.ning.com/

and thread started by M. Peck:
http://relaxedmachinery.ning.com/profiles/blogs/kevin-haller-r-i-p

Howard - I borrowed your picture of Kevin for the front page.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I knew Kevin as a much appriciated and interesting presence in chat room and here in the forums, as well as maker of great music on the streaming events here in all kinds of constellations. Very sad news.
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel incredible grief and sadness that Kevin Haller has been taken from us and gratitude for the opportunity to have known him.

Kevin's fun, mellow personality and his musical sensitivity will be greatly missed. I will miss him in Kansas City and the festival will not be the same without him.

The link below takes you to the "Floating in Space Jam" from KCEM 2012. This collaboration has a wonderful feel to it and I feel that Kevin's ability to listen and respond "drove" this jam session.

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=31441

My condolences go out to Barb and all of Kevin's friends, family, and loved-ones.

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Celebrating Kevin Haller, live from the Bunker!

Open house Celebrating Kevin Haller... live from the Bunker, Friday, October 4th 4-8pm maybe later Wink
1249 Briarwood Road 30319
Atlanta, GA

Come celebrate the life of Kevin Haller! Musical friends bring an instrument and make some music. Jim Combs and Barbara Vesey Johnson are working on getting the music streamed live. More info on the streaming will be posted here so if you can't make it in person you can tune in on http://radio.electro-music.com:8050

https://www.facebook.com/events/1394789830752831

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such sad news.I didn't know Kevin,only knew of him from a collab with Shane Morris (live at City Skies which oddly I pulled out at "Random" today for my day's listening at work BEFORE seeing Adam post the news on Facebook)
My heart goes out to everyone that is hurting,especially his wife.
R.I.P.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIP Killer Haven. We shared much as artists exploring new frontiers.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Dedicated to Kevin... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Galactic Travels Playlist #861 for October 3, 2013.
http://soundscapes.us/gt/playlists/2013/131003.html
Dedicated to Kevin Haller.

playlist.jpg
 Description:
Playlist on file at WDIY.
 Filesize:  455.86 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

playlist.jpg

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Party at the Moon Tower, KillerHaven

Dan Minoza and I will meet you there Laughing

Rest in Peace, brother

Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Kevin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I first met Kevin down in Atlanta during the first City Skies event, and I remember him being a kind and compassionate fellow. That first impression never faded after the numerous events we both participated in. Everytime I got on the Stillstream chat, Kevin always made it a point to say "Hi" and compliment me. It's comforting to see all the condolences and comments made in his honor throughout the internet.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
gurdonark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin was a good guy, whom I knew mostly through interacting with him in the Stillstream chat room and through his music.He was bright and a good conversationalist. I am sorry to hear he is gone. My sympathy to his family for their loss.
TysonJenna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIP Kevin, we'll be missing you!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very sad to read about Kevin's passing. God bless and may he rest in eternal peace. Always enjoyed our conversations in the EM chat room. He will be missed by myself and many.

Sincerely
Bill Manganaro
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad news. 51 as well? Sad
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: