electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
CEM3340 modern "replacement"
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
if837

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: CEM3340 modern "replacement" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there anything that come close to CEM3340, CEM3345, CEM3374, and SSM2031 today? Modern chips for VCO that are available on ebay.

sorry if this is repost.
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most VCO chips out there are not intended for audio use, rather they are high frequency for things like radio tuners, and are not suitable for expo tuning in the 20Hz-20kHz range.

The chips from Curtis and SSM were created especially for synthesizers, so they are easy to use. I remember that I started getting interested in SDIY in the late 90s and these ICs had only just begun to become scarce. Nowadays they are really for repair people or those who own vintage synths which require them. Of course, if we want hundreds of thousands of custom analog chips we can have such things made again, but unfortunately the demand really isn't there.

The fact of it is that there are no prebuilt modules on a chip anymore. The closest thing is that there are still SSM and THAT VCA chips which can be used in synths - but they are not quite as simple as wiring up a CEM. Check out the Papareil VCA and Mankato VCF. I recall that Philip Gallo and Roman Sowa had made some SSM2164 modules. Also, people have been adapting Exar "function generator" ICs into nice VCOs. Not a "one chip solution" but quite nice. I recommend looking in the Thomas Henry forums for some info about these.
if837

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the information and answering my question.

Which of the SSM2210 is it that one uses in VCO´s ? There are several
different versions ranging from $2- $20 in pricerange?

the same question goes for LM394
Sebo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
SSM2210 and LM394 are matched transistors pairs used in the expo converters
of oscillators.

www.cosaquitosenglobo.com.ar
www.myspace.com/cosaquitosenglobo
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sebo wrote:
Hi:
SSM2210 and LM394 are matched transistors pairs used in the expo converters
of oscillators.

Yes, specifically - for sawtooth oscillators. People usually use NPN pairs for sawtooth core VCOs and PNP pairs for triangle core VCOs. I believe the CEM3340s were triangle core.
iorobyy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

your ask is similar to : exist a replacement for elvis presley or bob marley? Very Happy
Boh...there are others musicians but nothing compare to elvis presley.
some vco chips : xr8038-xr2206-xr2207-ne566 etc. etc.
but cem and ssm are invented for '80 synths now we are in 2009...the dsp era! Wink
DoctorNash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes there is. Check out these:

http://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/

HM2040: A clone of the SSM2040 filter chip

and also...HMVCO, HMVCA, HMADSR (no prizes for guessing what each of these are)

only thing is, their site says the HM2040 is temporarily out of stock...if any of you have any luck in finding out when they're going to be available again, please do tell Very Happy
littlem4tt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes they are in stock now
here is a my demo of a hmvco1c into a HM2040
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkNWIoetSI&feature=share&list=UUjswpklDmzntOGxOkfYsh_A
(sorry first post cant see how to embed video)
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

littlem4tt wrote:
yes they are in stock now
here is a my demo of a hmvco1c into a HM2040
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkNWIoetSI&feature=share&list=UUjswpklDmzntOGxOkfYsh_A
(sorry first post cant see how to embed video)

It would be nice to have a guitar peak follower to control that really smooth envelope! All envelope followers tend to have ripple in varying degrees which I "don't find to my taste" !!
synchroma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently got a free sample of the XR2209 - but it only outputs triangle and sawtooth waveforms, so it'll need some waveshapers built onto a board. Not a patch on the XR2206. I'll post again once I've made a circuit board. Specs suggest it runs from 0.01Hz to 1MHz, but it'll need an external tempco+expo converter as well.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CJ Miller wrote:
People usually use NPN pairs for sawtooth core VCOs and PNP pairs for triangle core VCOs.

But not always, right?
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir4.htm

Ian
synchroma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No modern replacement for the CEM3340, but according to Tom Oberheim (who is back in business at 77) there is still one Curtis chip being made Question
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/12/31/tom-oberheim-demos-the-two-voice-pro-talks-analog-revolution-answers-synth-questions/
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: