electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
mind reading
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: mind reading Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back in the early 60s* William Hoskins envisioned a musical instrument that would play one's musical thoughts. Getting close.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6346069.stm

*I think he developed the idea while associated with the Institute of General Semantics in the 1940s but my memory that far back (60s) is getting squirrelly. In anycase it was described to me in the 60s and I've been waiting ever since.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting.

In my old age I've started developing the ability to hear music in my head (thoughts). Maybe better musicians can do this at any time, it's only just started to come to me. I mean, this thought music is as satisfying as music heard through the ears; in many ways more so than music I can make with a synthesizer or computer.

I've been thinking, "Why bother realizing music when I can hear it whenever I want?"

So, if there was a machine that could read my mind and make music for other people to hear, it would be best to just directly connect to another mind and bypass the acoustical interfaces.

If I remember correctly, Hoskins believed that he received musical ideas directly from the greater human consciousness by some telepathic process. Perhaps we can just bypass the fancy technology and get on with developing our telepathic capacities.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

If I remember correctly, Hoskins believed that he received musical ideas directly from the greater human consciousness by some telepathic process.

Yea, I recall it being a collective/cosmic consciousness anyway.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I've been thinking, "Why bother realizing music when I can hear it whenever I want?"

For us of course Laughing

For music I'd like a more abstract control type than "send email".

play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's the IBVA. been around forever. Not exactly direct thought translation but neato nontheless.
Hoskins-kin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Hoskins theories (not just musical)
Subject description: William B. Hoskins had quasi-theology of musical creation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
mosc wrote:

If I remember correctly, Hoskins believed that he received musical ideas directly from the greater human consciousness by some telepathic process.

Yea, I recall it being a collective/cosmic consciousness anyway.

Some William Hoskins writings on his ideas about the creative process and the "love field" still exist - if any old Hoskins afficionados are interested, I can dig them up.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoskins theories (not just musical)

Hoskins-kin wrote:

Some William Hoskins writings on his ideas about the creative process and the "love field" still exist - if any old Hoskins afficionados are interested, I can dig them up.

welcome Hoskins-kin to electro-music.com

We can set up a special artists forum for William Hoskins an post all the writings, compositions, sound recordings, and photos. I think that would be great! Hopefully, electro-music.com will be a long lasting archive. That is our objective, at least.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hoskins-kin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoskins theories (not just musical)

mosc wrote:
Hoskins-kin wrote:

welcome Hoskins-kin to electro-music.com

We can set up a special artists forum for William Hoskins an post all the writings, compositions, sound recordings, and photos. I think that would be great! Hopefully, electro-music.com will be a long lasting archive. That is our objective, at least.

That would be very generous. I plan to re-establish the williambhoskins.org website too (I have to reclaim the DNS).
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: