electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord G2's allpass filter behaviour is odd?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jaffasplaffa

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Nord G2's allpass filter behaviour is odd? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Smile

I have been playing a bit with Nord G2's allpass filter(the multimode filter set to 6db and use BP output). But from how I understand allpass filter and how I have used them before, it doesnt really act like an allpass filter. Something odd is going on.

I have been trying to create a good old Schröeder/Gardner stylish reverb, using delay lines and all pass filters and I have successfully created those on an Axoloti DSP synth. But when i try to make the exact same circuits on G2, the allpass filter is behaving weird. As soon as you start feeding the allpass back into itself(which is necessary for reverb creation), it just starts to resonate in a manner that basicly just sounds like a regular filter where you crank the resonance to max; the resonance creates a tone and basicly destroy what ever sound you put through it. Nothing reverb like comes out of it, like it should it just resonates like crazy. The circuits I build on Axoloti DSP works and rebuilding it on Nord G2 doesnt.

So I am pretty sure there is something weird going on with the allpass filter.

Have anyone else played around with the allpass filter on G2 an experienced odd behaviour?

Thanks
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 SVF in allpass mode does indeed have unity gain issues, probably because of the way the integrators work in a SVF topology (only conjecture, would have to tinker to be sure).

Use this building block instead. (Since the SVF also eats 3 outputs, it's not more expensive.)

cheers,
t

6dB_allpass.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  6dB_allpass.pch2
 Filesize:  908 Bytes
 Downloaded:  3442 Time(s)

jaffasplaffa

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim Smile

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely try this out tonight when I get home Wink
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: