electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Good Audio FPGA Development Board Candidate
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gdavis wrote:
JovianPyx wrote:

If I put a line of text and then say 10 blank lines and another line of text, vi refuses to delete the blank lines. I tried using x (while not in insert mode) and they don't go away. Then I switched to insert mode and tried delete and backspace keys and I cannot get rid of the blanks lines.

I've been using vi and vim with Linux and Solaris for decades and never been able to delete lines either of those ways. x only deletes characters under the cursor, backspace and delete only delete characters on the current line that have been typed since entering edit mode. Once edit mode is exited, delete and backspace won't erase any previous characters.

I always use dd to delete individual lines, for multiple lines set a mark (ma) at the first line to delete, move to the last line to delete a do d'a (delete from current line to line marked "a"). There are many other uses of d for deleting also.

Solid advice.

I have noted that vim appears (in some versions at least, I've mostly been using it on RHEL 6 lately) that it will actually backspace over things that were not entered in the current input session, while you're in input mode, and will backspace through newlines as well, which is different from the standard old-school vi behavior. But I don't know whether you have to do something (that perhaps Red Hat does by default) to enable that behavior.
rolfs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Cyclone 5 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a new Cyclone 5 Platform for my project. It has the ability to also include ARM functions, eg for MIDI.

And : C5 has so much power and resources for programming Smile
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very similar, although they look like they're >$100US more per board.
engineer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you satisfied with Vivado?

I am struggling no for more than 3 years and still operate with ISE if possible.

Regarding MUSIC FPGA: There is some Progress in a germin microcontroller Forum starting a universal PFGA baord suitable for Audio.
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm testing Vivado WebPACK (2014.2). Anything after that requires a 64 bit machine. When I initially looked at Vivado, there was no WebPACK version. So seeing it a few days ago was a pleasant surprise. More advanced stuff, like the system generator for DSP aren't included, but the core stuff is all there and the license while node locked and device limited, is free.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vivado WebPACK is working, though there was some confusion over licensing. I tried to follow the instructions in a training video that shows how to add an AXI4-Lite interface to a project. I had selected to simulate with AXI BFM simulator which failed because I don't have the (need to pay for) license for that piece - however, the interface was installed into the project since the interface itself is licensed by the ISE license. The simulator complained about the license, so only that part is not usable. I had to add the ISE license for the AXI4-Lite stuff.

I will next be messing with some hello-world things that actually does stuff on the Zybo board.

corruptio optimi pessima
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using Vivado 2014.2 WebPACK and a Zybo devboard, I've been able to add a small project that just copies the slide switches to the LEDs. So it found and used the correct cable driver; synthesis, place and route etc all worked. Next I'll play with AXI-4 Lite.

corruptio optimi pessima
gdavis

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently taking a class that's using the Zybo board and just started playing around with designing a synth with it. Have you gotten any further with yours?

I'd like to implement MIDI over USB (I have a USB midi keyboard that I could use with it) but not sure how difficult implementing USB would be without an OS. Google actually led me back here Smile

elektromeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is exactly also my question. I need a solution to attach MIDI via USB to eelctronic instruments.

This is because modern Controllers send more data per time and have only USB. I already had alook at USB, but think it is much work to do that.

A recommendation was to setup a linux system to define a fully functional host in an FPGA.

Is there an easier way? MAy<be there is a vendor with a USB host core to directly install to the FPGA and a low level app, which analyses MIDI.

I mostly need the fast controller data to drive the gear without remarkable latency.

gdavis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektromeister wrote:
This is exactly also my question. I need a solution to attach MIDI via USB to eelctronic instruments.

This is because modern Controllers send more data per time and have only USB. I already had alook at USB, but think it is much work to do that.

A recommendation was to setup a linux system to define a fully functional host in an FPGA.

Is there an easier way? MAy<be there is a vendor with a USB host core to directly install to the FPGA and a low level app, which analyses MIDI.

I mostly need the fast controller data to drive the gear without remarkable latency.

I've pretty much given up on finding an easier "built-in" way. For the time being I've been using my PC running MIDI-OX, LoopMIDI and Hairless MIDI-Serial bridge to transmit MIDI data to the arduino over USB. I haven't done it on the Zybo yet but it should work as well. Of course that means I'm tied to a computer, so a built-in solution is still on my mind, just not much of a priority at this point.

The Zybo actually has a USB host hard core in the processor subsystem already. The problem isn't hardware, it's that the host core also requires a significant amount of software to run it.

The idea of writing my own simplified standalone USB driver has crossed my mind, but I'm not a USB expert and it looks like there's a lot to learn and code. Establishing a USB link is much more complicated than the old RS232 serial interface.

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed that USB is a PITA. I've been able to create MIDI musical instruments on several FPGA boards including the Zybo, but they all run MIDI as a serial connection at 31.25 kbaud with the standard optoisolator converter. One main reason for the is that I have older equipment.

I don't gig out, so being tied to a computer is not a problem for me and I need the computer to program the devices anyway. The UART for plain FPGAs is just some Verilog code, for the Zybo, I believe I used one of the UARTs in the on-chip I/O device array.

I'm also working with Raspberry Pi which I've found to be powerful enough to support 32 voice polyphony on several designs. Even with the Raspberry Pi, I've decided to do hardware MIDI into the serial console port because not all USB MIDI devices are support by the Raspberry Pi software. I had to write my own driver for the serial port because of kernel driver buffering weirdness. Test timing shows that I achieved a latency (MIDI note-on to sound) of 1.5 milliseconds. No idea what is acheivable with USB 2.0. I may eventually try USB to MIDI if I can find a device for which there is a Rpi driver.

corruptio optimi pessima
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With respect to MIDI over USB, this is probably relevant to what your trying to achieve. It utilizes the PJRC Teensy board that utilizes a Freescale 32 Bit ARM Cortex MCU series. Powerful and low cost and a very tiny board Wink .

Quote:
"Teensyduino implements a "class compliant" MIDI device, which can work with the built-in drivers on all major operating systems."

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_midi.html

The audio library is powerful to.

Bill
gdavis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, but not quite. The teensyduino can only act as a USB "device". We want to implement the opposite end of the connection - the USB "host", so that we can connect a MIDI controller directly to the synth without a host (PC) MIDI router in between.

Many people don't seem to realize this, but USB is a master/slave interface. You can't connect two slaves or two masters together, there has to be one master ("host") and one or more slaves ("device"). That's why each end of a USB cable has different connectors.

And the FPGA chip on the Zybo already contains 2 ARM cores and 2 USB controller cores, so with the Zybo we don't need the hardware. If we want to implement the USB host with an OS, we can just load Linux onto the Zybo. I was hoping to avoid that, though it's probably the easiest way to go.

I've actually started working on a bare metal USB host driver for the Zybo. I haven't gotten very far, basically just initialized the USB controller as a host to detect device attachment and establish connection at the supported speed. Trying to read the device descriptor at the moment, then need to see if I can configure the device and start receiving data.

It's been... educational. I think I'm starting to see why bare metal USB host drivers aren't common. It's a complicated process and the complete link involves several layers of communication that's really more suited to something with a task management scheme, e.g. an OS. I'm real curious to see if I can at least get some basic communication going though.

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's quite interesting gdavis. I've not yet dove into the Zybo and a USB driver is about the last thing I want to do... I'd wanted to use the Zybo FPGA to build a synthesizer and then have it controlled by the ARM either with a sequencer running there or via a way to pipe MIDI stuff into it via Linux and kernel driver. At this point, I've been able to make the Zybo FPGA work as a synth, but it uses an external (PMOD) DAC and an external connection with 6N138 to a soft UART. (path of least resistance approach so to speak).

In the Raspberry Pi world, I do use USB devices, but there are already kernel drivers for most of that. My root file system is on a USB hard drive (which is faster than the class 10 microSD card). The only mystery is, in fact, USB MIDI. I've been able to get a MIDIsport 2x2 working through a rather frustrating driver installation process. I'd purchased a sort of "generic" USB MIDI cable, but I can't find a Linux driver for it. It works under Windows because there is a driver somehow incorporated in the device that installs and then the device shows up in Windows as a MIDI device (and it works). This kind of stuff is why I opted to use the Raspberry Pi UART port (hardware UART inside the ARM) for MIDI. The fun part of that was disabling the kernel driver's activities and making the UART work at 31250 baud. Given my limited time on this earth, I'd prefer to write synth DSP code and not so much driver stuff...

corruptio optimi pessima
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The cable probably is a HID device, for which windows and osx come with builtin drivers .. maybe linux has something for it too?
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
The cable probably is a HID device, for which windows and osx come with builtin drivers .. maybe linux has something for it too?

I looked, but I found nothing for Arch nor for Raspbian. It's mass produced Chinese junk IMO. Why bother writing a driver for Linux when you know that most folks will be Windows users? If I had gdavis's stamina, I might try to probe it more and write my own driver, but as I said, I've got limited time here and I'd prefer to spend it writing DSP code since I found a (albeit rudimentary) MIDI solution.

I've also posted this question to the Raspberry Pi fora in hopes that someone had found an inexpensive USB MIDI device that was easily interfaced to an Rpi. Dead silence. And I do understand that.

EDIT ADD: I'm also investigating MIDI over ethernet so that one Rpi can receive MIDI and then transmit it over ethernet to the others on my network. I'll need to do some measurement of latency in that setup.

corruptio optimi pessima
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea of HID (Human Interface Device) is that it is general purpose, and that it works just as well for cheap american junk as for cheap chinese. In other words, it is a general purpose driver and not a device specific one. HID supports keyboards, mice, MIDI and other stuff.

Re. MIDI over Ethernet. When you'd use UDP/IP latency should be OK by default. When using TCP/IP be sure to turn off Nagle's algorithm (or in windows speak: activate TCP nodelay (which is a socket option)) and then it should be fine too.

When you'd send it as plain MIDI messages with no further encoding you'd be compatible with Midi Tangle. This might save some programming time here and there. Midi Tangle supports TCP and I think it does UDP as well, and it can both be a server and a client.

JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over my direct connect LAN, yeah, UDP is fine.

I'll research about HID with respect to Linux, but I've not run across it so far oddly.

Currently I'm just connecting the MIDI current loop receiver-to-logic to two different Pi boards and it works fine and I don't have ground loop noise problems (I did expect them tho) I'll probably just add another connector or two once I get a crimping tool. I now have 4 synth capable pi boards Very Happy

corruptio optimi pessima
gdavis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked up the midisport 2x2. The manual for the Anniversary Edition states that it is class compliant and will work with standard drivers for basic MIDI functionality. The M-Audio drivers are only needed to access the advanced features. Previous versions of the midisport are not class compliant and require the M-Audio drivers.

I'm hoping my MIDI controller is a class compliant MIDI device and plan to write a driver supporting that (which should be standard and work with any class compliant MIDI device) should I get that far Wink

gdavis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phew, I finally managed to read some of the default descriptors. What a chore, but now I know I can move data across the bus. Really need to take care to maintain data coherency between the CPU, the USB controller DMA engine and DRAM. Apparently the cache was enabled by default (thought it wasn't supposed to be in a standalone application) which caused me a lot of grief.

The device descriptor of my MIDI controller indicates one possible configuration. OK, that should simplify things a little Smile

The configuration descriptor indicates two interfaces:
Interface 0 indicates class audio and sub-class audio control.
Interface 1 indicates class audio and sub-class MIDI streaming.

I think we're onto something here.

The audio class is a USB standard class which has it's own specification. The audio class specification defines 3 sub-classes: audio control, audio streaming and MIDI streaming.

It looks like an interface with the audio control sub-class is required by the audio class specification but doesn't really do anything in a pure midi controller which doesn't support any audio.

The MIDI streaming sub-class has another specification that defines this interface. The USB architecture provides for expanding the functionality beyond the standard which would require a device specific driver, but I think the standard part of the interface should give me basic MIDI control.

BTW, there seems to be a hardware bug on the Zybo board that intermittently prevents the USB PHY from being detected, preventing the port from powering up. I did some searching and I'm not the only one who has seen this. The PHY reset signal is connected to one of the Zynq PS GPIO's, so I was able to enable that pin and toggle it during my USB initialization to reset the PHY again after power on reset. Looks like that may have done the trick but I've gone long stretches without it failing before so not quite ready to say for sure.

gdavis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, finally some progress worth reporting. After being able to read the descriptors reliably and starting to gain some understanding of the USB host stack architecture, I spent some time reorganizing my code then set out to enumerate the device.

Lots of descriptors to sort through and a lot of work to parse them. And so far all I've done with all that information is to locate the MIDI In endpoint. With the endpoint identified, I can now receive MIDI messages from the controller Very Happy

I'm just dumping raw data at this point but I recognized some note on messages so it seems to be working. Now I just need to handle the messages and do something useful with them.

Hell of a lot of work for something conceptually so simple as hooking up a MIDI controller. If that was my only goal I'd say it's not worth the effort, but this is something I've been curious about so I'm happy to have learned something new.

Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: